Looking to maybe buy a Berry's

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Also..I think it is fair to note that the notion that the Real McCoy is colored is coming from the Fat Rum Pirate and not from The Real McCoy or Foursquare. For all I know, FRP could be wrong.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

On very good authority
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

While I don't have any info and could not locate anything stating this rum does add coloring, I can assure that this is an authentic product. To be fair to Pirate, I could not locate info stating there is no added coloring. Foursquare does not put their name on products that are not assured to be completely pure. This was distilled, aged, and bottle at foursquare. Seale will not allow the name of the distillery to be put on a bottle unless everything is up to his specifications so I can say for sure this is a great pure product. The color is not out of line with a 12 year tropically aged rum. To Be honest in my estimation I would be surprised if they do add coloring to this product due to several factors.

I also really enjoy the white rum straight the 12 year is really something special for your one off spending. I rate the white rum rather highly it's the best white Bajan rum at 40% ABV I know of. For an age statement Bajan at 12 years from the Islands you will be hard pressed to convince me there is a better option, as I have not found one. Cockspur VSOP, VSOR 12, or Cockspur 12 is also an excellent bottle but lacking an age statement. I only have had the Cockspur 12 but have seen the VSOR bottles recently on shelves. Glad I have some of the Cokspur 12 stored away in a chest.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

mamajuana wrote:While I don't have any info and could not locate anything stating this rum does add coloring, I can assure that this is an authentic product. To be fair to Pirate, I could not locate info stating there is no added coloring. Foursquare does not put their name on products that are not assured to be completely pure. This was distilled, aged, and bottle at foursquare. Seale will not allow the name of the distillery to be put on a bottle unless everything is up to his specifications so I can say for sure this is a great pure product. The color is not out of line with a 12 year tropically aged rum. To Be honest in my estimation I would be surprised if they do add coloring to this product due to several factors.

I also really enjoy the white rum straight the 12 year is really something special for your one off spending. I rate the white rum rather highly it's the best white Bajan rum at 40% ABV I know of. For an age statement Bajan at 12 years from the Islands you will be hard pressed to convince me there is a better option, as I have not found one. Cockspur VSOP, VSOR 12, or Cockspur 12 is also an excellent bottle but lacking an age statement. I only have had the Cockspur 12 but have seen the VSOR bottles recently on shelves. Glad I have some of the Cokspur 12 stored away in a chest.
I have one factor to consider........so you can all be as "fair" as you like but from what I can see only one of us has been told by Richard Seale that Caramel is added to Real McCoy 12. It also has slightly more Pot still rum in the blend than Rum Sixty Six.

Now continue your argument against "authentic rum". Please go ahead you all clearly know far better than him! Caramel is added to the majority of commercially available rum. People wouldn't buy rum that looks like piss and they would be suspicious if it was a different shade everytime they bought a new bottle. It's as simple as that.

And no amount of internet surfing will turn this up. So feel free to say yet again that I'm wrong......go on.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Now continue your argument against "authentic rum". Please go ahead you all clearly know far better than him! Caramel is added to the majority of commercially available rum. People wouldn't buy rum that looks like piss and they would be suspicious if it was a different shade everytime they bought a new bottle. It's as simple as that.

And no amount of internet surfing will turn this up. So feel free to say yet again that I'm wrong......go on.
I am really not sure which part of this is so difficult for you to understand. At no point did anyone say that this wasn't authentic rum or that it was a bad product. We also didn't say that you were wrong. I don't know you...never met you...and have zero idea who you are. I have been on the internet long enough to know that there are a whole lot of people who are full of shit. Hence, I take everything I read on the internet(especially forums like this one) with a grain of salt. That isn't personal...it's wise.

I'll try this again and see if I can get you to understand. I am an English teacher...I know what the word "complete" means. "thorough; entire; total; undivided, uncompromised, or unmodified" Nowhere did I say that it was an attempt to mask or somehow lift a poorly made rum into an exceptional rum, like the sugared rum makers do.

Saying a rum is unmodified, when it *is* modified is wrong. The level or degree to which it is modified is irrelevant. It is just my opinion and despite your attempts to somehow appear superior to me, I am entitled to that opinion.

Also, I placed my order for the 6 bottles of The Real McCoy yesterday and can't wait to finally try an R.L. Seale product.[/u][/i]
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

FWIW...

The real issue is this. The world of rogue rum has been so rogue for so long that there are a few realities. It only begins with sugaring, and the other additives and adulterants we know are there, but can't prove it (save for the Federal Court's decision in re Matusalem and their hidden vanilla and prune extract).

Seales long ago and still makes the point that these additives are common, and still uses his now famous tricked up young rum demo to prove it to surprised audiences. I have NO doubt - not a shred - that if Seale makes it, it's unadulterated.

Yet even Richard and the rums of Jamaica et al - the ones we value - all use caramel coloring. This is not done to "adjust coloring"- what it is done for is the simple reality that the rum buying public - unlike the buyers of much more expensive and pure single malts or bourgon - have become so used to unnaturally dark rums that even Seale has to use some.

This is simply an unavoidable reality. Yet there's another reality - if only the barest touch of "adjustment" color were used, it would probably make little or no difference in the taste. But many if not most rums go for broke - after all the darker it is, the older and "richer" the claims become.

I'll say it again: the highly talented and extremely serious crew over at Malt Maniacs took a great deal of time, trouble and expense to test colored single malts and the consensus was that - yes, yes, yes - caramel coloring does affect the taste, best described as a noticeable "flattening" of the uncolored profile.

Except for a very few small new oak agers (think 15 gallon or less), there is no way on God's green earth that wood aging will commonly create those dark amber or mahogany colors. Compare to the 15 and 20 year old single malts that are - really - dark straw colored at worst. For some reason the single malt fans look at "uncolored, unchillfiltered" as a mark of quality, care and well, reality. Most - including Ralfy - don't like coloring.

Will this happen in the world of rum? I don't think so. The market is too big, has been over-colored for so long, that as pure as our favored rums may get, a bit of color is demanded by the arsehole marketplace, present company excluded. Still there are a few "piss" colored rums, and to be honest I get excited to see them.

After all, I'm a sailor and I enjoy water sports, lol...
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Colour is one of the few senses we have and it is one of the most tangible ones.
I can understand the reason of consistency but customers should value uniqueness as well. All 12 year old do not need to taste the same.The years will matter.