The Great Sugar Test: Updates...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Announcement! Now 299 rums tested...

As of a few minutes ago, the tests of Cyril and of the Pirate (and a few by Moi) have been added to the master list:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtop ... =7080#7080

This is a simply amazing body of data, gathered once and for all into a single handy list. Believe it or not, 299 rums have now been tested for estimated sugar! At last, rum lovers everywhere can refer to these estimates so as to consider if their "rum" may been altered with the addition of masking sugar.

Keep in mind these are estimates. While ALKO and the Swedes labs can be considered precise, those of Drejer are not far behind and are quite useful. Tests gathered from Cyril, the Pirate and Moi if done with care should be within a gram or two, quite reasonable for our purposes. Still at best, these are only rough estimates and can never be definitive.

No one is arguing for or against a gram or two of sugar, but once five, ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty or - heaven help me - even forty or fifty grams of what is probably sugar are added to allegedly premium rums - well then - Houston, we have a problem! .

But which "rums" are the most altered?

These estimates should do rather well in distinguishing whether a rum has a bare touch, or a handful of secretly added sugar. While 5 grams of sugar may help sell otherwise harsh new young rums, that and any more actually ruin the profile of good aged rums. But which rums are altered the most?

Yup, the sippers and super-premiums. The distillers' years of progressively sweeter alteration has painted them into the sugar corner. To differentiate their "premiums" (whether truly aged or not), some of the most expensive rums have been literally sugared beyond recognition as they have trained the monkeys that aged rums must be syrupy smooth and sweet.

Kinda makes you wonder how "premium" these concoctions really are...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Bacardi 1909 Heritage Edition 45.5 - 45.5 - 0-5 grams

Came in at 93 proof on my Hydrometer then corrected for higher than calibrated temperature came in right at 45.5. I have a french made Hydrometer from a brand called still spirits at a local home brew store. Comes with a nice guide on how to use it and a conversion table for its calibration pretty easy to read. Also a two piece hydrometer cylinder from the same company for easy cleaning and a floating glass spirits thermometer.

Capn's Log: a big thanks to Mama, whose finding will be added to the database when confirmed, as number 300!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Test #301 - Camus VS Cognac (40%):

Tested 39% at 26.7 deg C = 36% corrected = 15g
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Test #302 Bacardi Heritage 44.5% = 2g
(tested 48% @ 27 deg = 44%) Confirms Mama's test above.

Test #303 Crown Royal Black (Canadian Whiskey) 45% = 0g

(tested 47.5% @ 29 deg = 45%)

I should add the Heritage is quite a tasty rum, what a shame this one was produced in such small quantities, found mine today on close out at $17. To be reviewed shortly.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Test #302 Bacardi Heritage 44.5% = 2g
(tested 48% @ 27 deg = 44%) Confirms Mama's test above.

Test #303 Crown Royal Black (Canadian Whiskey) 45% = 0g

(tested 47.5% @ 29 deg = 45%)

I should add the Heritage is quite a tasty rum, what a shame this one was produced in such small quantities, found mine today on close out at $17. To be reviewed shortly.

Just make sure to grab one or two more for the collection/stash one of the most flavorful and smooth white rums out there in this price point its hard to beat.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Damnit anyone want to send me some? I'll add extra for the trouble...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Stay tuned for about ten more tests...

...as performed by the Pirate of steady hand, and of mostly sound mind, and soon to be posted. What a man! Cyril and Mama have a few coming as well. Now that a few of us are actively testing (and communicating), we will soon be posting what seems to be the best Starter Kit for public testers, which includes you, right? Better be.

The key factors:

1. The kit must be inexpensive, but readable and with accuracy enough to meet our needs.

2. It must be from vendors that ship in a relatively timely fashion (some of the Chinese vendors are very slooooooooooooow.

Right now it looks like we have an solution but I need to test out a few more vendors and also a particular test cylinder. I'm going to guess the entire cost will be well under $20, probably closer to $15.

Stay fackin tuned, and you'd better be setting a few shekels aside. The database is already over 300 tests and with all of you testing, no distiller will be able to escape our testing clutches...
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

I'm no chemist but I've found that all you need is:

The four piece hydro kit (may have to wait for it from Hong Kong I was lucky and found a UK re-seller) £6.
A digital thermometer (I find this much easier to use than a standard thermo) £2.

Two glass measuring cylinders 1 x 50ml 1 x 100ml. Though you could probably get away with just the 50ml I find it easier to take a reading with the bigger cylinder. These are costly around £10 for the pair. You can use plastic but may find them harder to read. Glass is much cleaner and clearer (IMO)

And a little bit of patience to ensure you get accurate and reliable readings. Drop the thermo in the rum leave it for 15 mins to stabilise the temp. Take a reading.

Remove thermometer and slowly drop and spin the hydro into the rum. If it hits the bottom and doesn't bob you may need to add more rum (For some reason some rums need more rum in the cylinder. If you fill the cylinder approx. 3/4 its usually okay.

Again let the hydro settle and take a reading and repeat until satisfied its accurate. Clean all kit in tepid water and leave to dry. And repeat.........It's not a quick process (around 20 minutes per rum test) but if you test as you buy once the collection is complete it will seem less of a chore.

And finally.......compile all readings in a spreadsheet and forward to the Capn. I've now published my readings on my site.

Capn's Log: this is the kit I obtained and that we have been privately discussing as we both have used it successfully. I would only add that the process does not have to take 20 minutes, if you have a digital instant read, and if the rum and equipment have been in the house for awhile. I am very close to publishing recommended sources that meet the criterion of my last post just above. Thanks to the Pirate who carried through and published his technique.

Special note: although the Pirate didn't include them, the last two quick steps he performs are consulting the temperature correction table, and then finishing by then using the corrected reading to get the sugar level.

Bravo!
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I just posted a link to ALKO in another thread, shows their current rums (some new products there I think).

Interestingly they now do not list any more sugar content for all products...Have the giants awaken?? ;-)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oh my!

J... there can be no other explanation. Unfortunately for them, the horse has long since left the barn. Neither ALKO nor the Swedes can take back what escaped out into the blogosphere, and now that a number of webmaster and soon to be a great number of rum lovers can now test (and report) their own sugar levels, it's all over.

Johnny Drejer's method shifted the whole paradigm from centralized (and being forced to believe the marketing) to fully decentralized wherein for a lousy $15 any rum lover can determine his or her own truth.

It's only just begun.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I just posted a question to Alko on this matter, and asked why they do not list sugar contents for all of the products. Lets see what is the reply they send..

In any case, as said, a few new products in the listings I think - better copy the sugar contents before it vanishes..helps to build the list anyway.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

The Fat Rum Pirate wrote:I'm no chemist but I've found that all you need is:

The four piece hydro kit (may have to wait for it from Hong Kong I was lucky and found a UK re-seller) £6.
A digital thermometer (I find this much easier to use than a standard thermo) £2.

Two glass measuring cylinders 1 x 50ml 1 x 100ml. Though you could probably get away with just the 50ml I find it easier to take a reading with the bigger cylinder. These are costly around £10 for the pair. You can use plastic but may find them harder to read. Glass is much cleaner and clearer (IMO)

And a little bit of patience to ensure you get accurate and reliable readings. Drop the thermo in the rum leave it for 15 mins to stabilise the temp. Take a reading.

Remove thermometer and slowly drop and spin the hydro into the rum. If it hits the bottom and doesn't bob you may need to add more rum (For some reason some rums need more rum in the cylinder. If you fill the cylinder approx. 3/4 its usually okay.

Again let the hydro settle and take a reading and repeat until satisfied its accurate. Clean all kit in tepid water and leave to dry. And repeat.........It's not a quick process (around 20 minutes per rum test) but if you test as you buy once the collection is complete it will seem less of a chore.

And finally.......compile all readings in a spreadsheet and forward to the Capn. I've now published my readings on my site.

Capn's Log: this is the kit I obtained and that we have been privately discussing as we both have used it successfully. I would only add that the process does not have to take 20 minutes, if you have a digital instant read, and if the rum and equipment have been in the house for awhile. I am very close to publishing recommended sources that meet the criterion of my last post just above. Thanks to the Pirate who carried through and published his technique.

Special note: although the Pirate didn't include them, the last two quick steps he performs are consulting the temperature correction table, and then finishing by then using the corrected reading to get the sugar level.

Bravo!
Thanks Jimbo! My mistake, in my haste to post my method (as I had agreed) I lost my train of thought!

The Hydro test is easy and inexpensive. If you can spare time to comment on here you can spare the time to test a few rums. It really is easy and cheap!

No excuses!
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I looked on the master list and didn't see any Flor de Caña tested. I don't have any, but I'm trying to compile a list of "easily available if not ubiquitous unaltered rums"

So far I'm at:

Appleton
Mount Gay
Chairmen's Reserve
the younger Brugals

and that's about it. I'd add Cockspur but I hardly see it lately. Bacardi "Superior" too but give me a break.

Myer's maybe? If it is in fact true that in JA one cannot add anything but E150?

Flor de Caña is all over the place and tastes pretty dry to me, at least the 4 yr, so I was wondering if anyone with a hydrometer has or could test it.

Cheers!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Shame on me, but I have an excuse...

Kinda. Truly, I'm very busy but I give you my word I'll do the Flor de Cana's next - I have the 4, 7, 12 and 18.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Based on my tastings of these rums I would estimate little to no added sugar in the 4 year white rum (very dry), 12 year (astringent quality), commemorative (dry), and 18 year (similar) (original bottles) and the new bottle 4 year dry white. The 7 year new bottling (never had old label) may be suspect in my estimation as it seems less dry and astringent than the 12 year original. But that is just me basing this on what I taste. These bottles are long gone and while I have new bottles in stock I am waiting on more precise equipment. It would be worthy to test new and new bottles of this rum.