Bacardi plays their trump card...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bacardi plays their trump card...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

That's good, er that's bad...

Some of you may be aware that Bacardi recently announced some special releases, a fact that should not be taken lightly. Let's face it. Bacardi was actually a pioneer and responsible for a lighter, smoother style of rum largely based on filtration. Even then and even so, their goal was opening up new markets. Put that together with a highly political and marketing driven family and they achieved their goal - in spades.

As for the good news?

From the new Facundo Collection

Neo: "up to" 8 years old and - really - clear! Mid $40's. Caveat? Si - "up to" (which implies every barrel may have at least a teaspoon of 8 year in it).
Eximo: blend, 10 years in American oak. $60's.
Exquisito: blend, 7 to 23 years, "finished" in sherry barrels. $90's.
Paraiso ("paradise"): "up to" 23 years, "special" reserves, and "finished" in ex-cognac barrels. Over $200.

Whatever happened to the days when a product was introduced at a fair price, earned a reputation, and THEN became more dear. Nope, nowadays products are introduced at top drawer prices why? Well, because we can and because we say so.

And the bad?

Let us not forget that it was only months ago that we participated - big time - in the outcry over the Caribbean-destroying subsidies to Diageo and Bacardi. For those who still care the Petition to Save Caribbean Rum continued to grow (now 325 sigs) while like most issues the news cycle ultimately prevailed with (currently) the NSA and Obamacare grabbing center stage.

But remember: the subsidies go on, the Big Three (Bacardi, Diageo and Fortune) profit and we await the results. And these releases may - in part - be oblique proof of that. Though clearly overpriced and available only in Miami and New York it is clear that these four "ultra" (or should I say "muy, muy, muy") premiums may be Bacardi's opening volley to replace the fine Caribbean rums the subsidies may well displace.

Consider such releases megacorporate gloating.

My guess? This is a significant release - not for its obvious marketing - but because of its size (four releases) and great departure from the usual Batroom Dangleberries. I would not be surprised if these portend more and more price accessible aged releases somewhere between their not-half-bad 8 year ($23) and the current look-at-me releases.

Así es la vida, no?