So I have a confession to make...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Nomad
Bo'sun

So I have a confession to make...

Post by Nomad »

I don't care for Pussers blue label :shock: For that matter, I don't care for what I'd call high ester rums. Now my taste is varied I think; my short list includes Mt Gay Eclipse and XO, Barbancourt 15yo.
So this seems odd right? I do like to taste a variety for reference and have given Pussers a few chances to sway me...

So anyone else experience similar?

PS- anyone near New Orleans want to trade for an almost full bottle of Pussers :lol:
*Edited to clarify Barbancourt 15 yo
Last edited by Nomad on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hold on to that bottle of Pusser's, Nomad.

I didn't like mine at first, either. Now, it's a mainstay.

Try it again in a few years.

The rum journey is like that.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Your tastes are your own and your opinions as relevant as aby other in this forum. You can even like the Z,P rums if that is what takes your fancy. Remember, sugared rum is an old tradition, written about in stories such as The Count of Monte Cristo. It's not the rum it's the miss labeling of it and the dirty dishonest business ethics of their sellers.
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

da'rum wrote:Your tastes are your own and your opinions as relevant as aby other in this forum. You can even like the Z,P rums if that is what takes your fancy. Remember, sugared rum is an old tradition, written about in stories such as The Count of Monte Cristo. It's not the rum it's the miss labeling of it and the dirty dishonest business ethics of their sellers.
Well said! Everyone can be honest about their assessments and opinions here!
The Black Tot wrote:Hold on to that bottle of Pusser's, Nomad.

I didn't like mine at first, either. Now, it's a mainstay.

Try it again in a few years.

The rum journey is like that.
Also, true. It took me a while to warm up to Barbancourt Five-Star and I'm still not a big fan of Pussers. I didn't like sour beer last year and now I love it. Your palate does develop and your tastes/preferences do change.

Just keep exploring and enjoying the journey. It's very enjoyable that way.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

Interesting a new thread on a new rum (for me). The Captn and several other rum reviewers (some that don't get along well together) have all recommended I try Pusser's Blue, and I finally found a bottle locally. One irony I noted immediately, the Pusser's is the least expensive rum I own! Well that's a good start not to mention all the recommendations... So over the last few days (and I will continue this process) I've been sampling it (typically conjoined with a cigar).

Like the original poster here my taste is very broad and I like everything from Brugal 1888 (my only other completely unadulterated rum as I understand it) to E.D. 15 year, the dreaded Atlantico P.C., and many more. So what about the Pusser's? To be brief I find in the aroma and the taste pretty much all the components of many other rums even a distinct sweetness, though far less of that than even the Brugal. But riding on top of all of that is a sort of funkiness that I first described to another reviewer as "the aroma of an ancient wet forest", kind of moldy and darkly earthy, but good for all that. This funkiness pretty much sweeps away the sweetness and everything else, not entirely, but you have to work to pull them out of the mix. After 3 days and a half dozen pours I think I put my finger on it.

I'm not into scotch, bourbon, or rye so when I want something less sweet than rum I switch to cognac. A typical cognac, like Courvoisier VS has this same funky flavor (or very similar) in it, at least to my palette. As someone already said, that would probably make this rum a good one for whiskey drinkers. Not that this is a bad thing. I like cognac too, though not as much as the rums I've gotten used to over the last couple years. At the moment I don't happen to have any cognac so I can't compare them directly to see if my taste memory is correct here, but for now, when I'm looking for something less sweet than any of my other rums, I'll be reaching for the Pusser's!
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

It's pretty hard to disagree with anything you just said, apart from your dislike of Whisky :)
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The biggest point is to be informed as a consumer only then is your choice truly yours. If it's adulterated rum fine at least you are buying it in the knowledge it's adulterated and if you are fine with that so am I your voting with your wallet for what you want.

No one likes to had or taken in but, if you know the difference and that's your more power to you.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Good review, Quine!

I'd also add a touch of prune flavor to the experience.