Truce Dept: Pirate & Moi, a welcome truce...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Truce Dept: Pirate & Moi, a welcome truce...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

After all that happened in the "interview", I was both surprised and humbled...

...to hear from the Fat Rum Pirate. Because his words were so moving, rather than paraphrasing this gentleman, I'll let him speak for himself in a communication of which he should rightfully be proud, and that was quite informative in re his site.

Pirate:

...Thank you for the addendum. I'll further explain to allay your skepticism. The site was originally published in February 2014 but the idea and the writing began in late 2012. The rum collection (it gets drank so perhaps another word would be better) began in around 2010.

I have around 90 reviews on the site. The vast majority of these are popular and accessible rums. Typically around £25 mark. In the UK shops selection is very limited. so mail order brings with it postage costs. As a result I will typically buy 6 bottles per month end.

In addition to this we have had Christmas', birthdays etc. Rum is frequently bought for me. Likewise I have had 7 holidays in this time and alcohol in Europe is much cheaper than the UK.

So the collection has grown considerably. I understand what you are saying about the advertising. We have some affiliate links. Drink Shop, Drinkstuff and possibly another that I can't quite remember. The rest such as The Rumfest, Rum Renaissance are not there in any other capacity than the Blogroll. It's just helping other people in rum get info etc. And I guess helping those involved as well.

I know the site may look commercial. And hey it would be great if I got loads of clicks and purchases as I could review even more rum. But tha'ts not happening and I doubt it ever will. Possibly because over 70% of my readers are in USA or Canada...(edit)... Though on a serious note how often do people buy on click link? Especially without researching themselves?

Anyway I am now at a point where I have a lot of the staple rums reviewed. As you know I do still follow the Rum Project and I have purchased Barbancourt, Scarlet Ibis (amongst others) and I will be getting the Viejo de Caldas soon. Now with the staple rums reviewed I plan on releasing a review of a "classic" or "indie" bottling alongside a more contemporary offering each week.

I don't know if you are aware but I am very active on Social Media, forum groups etc. I accept this may annoy people BUT I believe that such is the laziness of man in todays world some people need things placed in front of them.

You have a pet hate with regard added sugar my pet hate in rum is sampling using freebies. I do not plan on calling out reviewers by name but I do plan on purchasing (I've just paid £36 for a bottle of Tiburon rum) the rums which I see other reviewers receive samples of (many brag about their freebies prior to the review). I will then conduct my review as a consumer with no strings attached. I will attempt to get these reviews out prior to theirs. I believe that as probably the most active and visible Rum Reviewer (especially on Social Media) it may discourage another fawning review of what is a very average/poor rum.

I have already noticed that a couple of the freebie reviewers seem to lose my comments.....Especially when I post links to my reviews something I would not discourage (apart from maybe one "reviewer").

Whilst I think we have had our differences in the past I do believe that we should perhaps put the past behind us. I agree with a lot of your views. Not everything but a lot. And I do enjoy reading The Project. Outside of The Project I get along well with at least two of your regulars and possibly a few more I have not yet recognised.

I'm not after anything from you but I believe that we might do ourselves more good than harm by at least being able to communicate with each other. I won't ever see everything 100% your way and vice versa. But we do have common ground.

Kind Regards
(Fat Rum Pirate)"
(...very slight edits to protect personal data)

In addition to this, the Pirate not only signed the petition, but also re-linked the Project, and linked our Save Caribbean Rum Petition on his site!

I was both honored and floored. After all that transpired, it truly takes a man among men to act in such a civil way to repair burnt bridges. I was truly humbled and moved and accepted this very well meant and sincere communication, so emailed him back...
Moi:

"(FRP)... I must say I was taken aback by your honest and conciliatory email. I was both humbled and moved by your reaching out. Putting the past behind is something we all need to do, Moi quite included and yes, I think that's a good idea.

Life demands that. Holding onto the past is simply not healthy, or realistic. We are all changing, all of the time.

It's not about winning and losing (though it is for the truly commercial sites) especially for those of us who manage through great personal expense and effort (to run personal websites); it should rather be about truth and transparency. Thus, when the likes of us appear to be odds (eg the "Interview"), no matter who may or may not prevail, all readers tend to feel uncomfortable.

Everybody loses in such matters... Again, my sincere thanks for your email. Let's bury the hatchet, hopefully not in one another....

Best,
CJ"
(...very slight edits for clarity)

A perfect ending to a thread that I'm sure became uncomfortable for all. I ask the forbearance of all readers and in particular of Bearmark - an active, valued member and a good man - and ask you all to join the Pirate and I in putting the past behind. If we can, you can, and as Richard Seale once said to me (paraphrase) "...the Rum Project is far too important for any of you to get entangled in internecine warfare among yourselves". In a like spirit, I have removed the "Open Letter" and the "Mutual Interview". This is no time to keep score, but it is a time for all concerned to forgive and forget, live and let live.

We have much bigger fish to fry, and sugars to test...

I believe the Fat Rum Pirate has acted with great honor, and that he means to join the effort to be part of the solution. That is commendable. No two people agree completely, but it is gratifying to learn that the Pirate and I are in more accord than we'd thought. A rum lover's spat if you will.

Carry on...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good stuff.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Glad to see you two have kissed and made up!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

He's actually a pretty good kisser...

BTW, just received another email in which he has decided to join in the effort to test rums, and is purchasing the equipment I recommended. This is truly exciting news as two webmasters, plus Drejer and now a good group of our own members will be testing and reporting, all to be summarized on our master "Complete List of Tests".

Remember, as a group we probably own 95% of the rums that are being sold, so the distillers can no longer hide from scrutiny. Johnny Drejer has changed the whole game and now we - rum lovers all - have the power and capability to cause transparency.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

An embarrassing episode and something I'm quite ashamed of. As Bearmark pointed out.....we needed our heads banging together and to consider that it was only rum. Anyway onwards and upwards. I will be on the Project not to promote my site but as contributor only.

With a little luck I will be able to conduct the hydrometer sugar tests successfully and post up the information. Oh, and I'll also join in the debates
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I'm all in as well. I continue to have the greatest respect for the Cap'n and his work here at the Rum Project, which promotes principles that I wholeheartedly agree with: purity in rum (and all spirits), truth in labeling, exposing deceptive marketing, discovering true values in rum (and all spirits), preserving the craft of rum production (and all spirits) and supporting those who share in our values/principles. I'm sure I missed something there, but I think that this covers the critical mass. We stand to gain more by joining together than by going it on our own and I never had any intention otherwise.

Cheers!

Mark Hébert (pronounced a-bear')

PS - My name has always been in my signature below. :wink:
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I love you Bear...

...will you marry me? Or least spend a long weekend?
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I too am very pleased to read about the pipes of peace being smoked, and welcome the pirate in a spirit of co-operation.

I look forward to his contributions here.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Where's the peace nargile?? :D
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Readers should take note that Hass is our resident expert on nargile (more crudely known as "hookah"). If you haven't already, please to check out one of the more amazing posts Hass was so kind as to post here at the Project:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewforum.php?f=30