The Great Sugar Test: Updates...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yet more rums tested... now 355 tests performed!

Thanks to cyril and the Pirate, both of whom have done yeoman work in continuing to test their rums for the benefit of rum lovers everywhere who want a pure and unadulterated rum. Thanks too to mamajuana who was the first to test Bacardi Heritage 1909 (45%), perhaps their only authentic historical product - he's got his test kit on order.

I'd also like to acknowledge yet another fighter for truth and transparency - dawsonh - whose test kit tests have also been added. Please note that in addition to the label%, the temperature, the corrected test%, and sugar, dawson has also reported bottled status (eg 2/3 full, new, etc.). For the moment I think that's a good idea, more later.

These members absolutely deserve your greatest thanks and appreciation. They certainly have mine. As always there are surprises, so I suggest you take the time to look up your rum(s) and see if you've been made into a sugar daddy...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

About Flor de Cana...

As you know I tested the 4-5-7-12-18 yrs and posted the surprising sugar levels. Unfortunately these are rather old bottles with the 4 yr being close to empty so I am reluctant to add these sugars to the master list. If any of you testers can please post your tests, it will be VERY appreciated, as the FdC's are commonly available and of wide interest.

Muchas gracias...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Capn Jimbo wrote:About Flor de Cana...

As you know I tested the 4-5-7-12-18 yrs and posted the surprising sugar levels. Unfortunately these are rather old bottles with the 4 yr being close to empty so I am reluctant to add these sugars to the master list. If any of you testers can please post your tests, it will be VERY appreciated, as the FdC's are commonly available and of wide interest.

Muchas gracias...
I have a new and almost full bottle of the 4 "extra seco" - I'll test it as soon as I get the gear.

Also will test Woods 100, LH151 old and new, Hamilton 151, and a few other rums I have questions about, including my Barbancourts (including the one bottled in the early 80s) (not really going to bother with my indie bottlings, and stuff like Appleton, Mt Gay, Foursquare, etc, which have been tested by others anyway). Also will test the Coruba - there's so much caramel coloring in there it might not register at 0 even though we all have heard that Jamaican rums allow nothing but coloring.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Bacardi Carta Fuego their new Red Spiced Rum

92 grams per litre of sugar.......that's Coca Cola territory!

ABV 40% Hydro reading 10%!
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

some news about the "La Favorite hors d'âge case" :

i did ask the president of AOC about it, and if they allow sugar or anything else into their AOC ; the answer is no. AOC do not allow sugard or any adding stuff.

So i asked why La Favorite cuvee Privilege is actually AOC with more than 40g/l sugar... blank... and..surprise. Their rhum is NOT AOC, and never been..

i did ask La Favorite about it, u imagine their answer ?
some printing error... but they never told the AOC about it, right. they never communicated about it neither. So even if the labels are corrected for 'a long time', u actually can find (and buy) a bottle with the AOC logo, and be misunformed. u can buy an AOC labeled rhum which is not AOC.... :evil:
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Two big surprises here...

The amount of sugar in the Bacardi Red Spice is simply stunning, way beyond what I'd expect for this category. And as for La Favorite - if anybody should have known this rum was NOT A.O.C. approved, you'd think their own representative - our dear Preacher - would, si?

Of course. But truth be told, I'm not surprised a bit...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Grats to the Pirate...

A big thanks to the Pirate for creating and devoting one of his webpages to hydrometer testing and results:
http://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

I think its fair to say that with the now published tests of ALKO, the Swedes, Johnny Drejer, Cyril of Darhum, Dave Russell's site, Mamajuana, the Pirate and yours truly - it's fair to say the word is definitely out. The Master List now includes 356 rums. Cyril, Russell and the Pirate now report sugar, the verboten subject.

The Pirate even took the risk of posting links to his hydrometer tests which - thank you - also link to the Project on - gulp - the Shillery, and his posts have been allowed to remain.

The Rubicon has been crossed...

And the lies and deceptions of the majority of rums are now very public as Exhibit A of the cheating that goes on. But it's important to remember that only the major violator - sugar - has been revealed. As Richard Seale has made clear that's just the beginning with additional adulterants such as hidden artificial flavoring and spicing, glycerol, actual cheap sherry wine and the like.

Read my lips: if sugar is there, you can be sure that other additives are very likely to be present and creating new and impossible profiles for the products they label "rum", but which actually is flavored and altered.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

some new results thanks to Johnny...
i have posted my pictures there :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 232&type=1

and an another AOC rhum positive (HSE 1960)
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Some fun comments from people in the FB group "Global rum club"...Truth really hurts, or people are still pretty misinformed :-)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A huge thanks to Cyril for adding a notable number of some very hard to find rhums (and rums). The Master Sugar List now lists an amazing 382 rums.

Jarimi... did you ever hear back from ALKO about their decision in re no longer posting sugar levels?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice work fellas now people can start to vote with there wallets and that will make all the difference. Nothing makes a rum producer change faster than hurting the bottom line. They can lobby goverments but they can't force consumers to buy what they percieve as an inferior product.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

The posts on the Hydrometer tests are getting a lot of views. There really is an interest within rum circles about it.

Whether we will influence the more casual rum drinker I'm not so sure but I'm already noticing a few "rum figure heads" seem to be changing their tune a little..........
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Again, much much credit to Johnny Drejer, whose breakthrough made it all possible, and put the power back in the hands of the people...

It's no secret that the Project took a good go at this a year or two ago (about the same time the Save Caribbean Rum petition was instituted), but I couldn't seem to get the method down quite right, despite the honest efforts of Richard to help me. And for some reason even the key posters weren't quite into it.

Johnny changed all that, primarily because his method was so darn simple, inexpensive and really rather accurate - and - available to any monkey who cared enough. Still it took a few of us - moi, Mama, Pirate, Cyril, and soon to include Hass, Blade Rummer and Tot. If I've left anyone out, please forgive me - short term memory is the first to go. The fact that Pirate, Moi, and Russell are now posting sugaring levels along with reviews is big - BIG! I say.

It is also VERY impressive insofar as (a) the number of tests (closing on 400), and (b) the fact that Master List exists that summarizes not only the above, but such credible and undeniable resources as ALKO, the Swedes and Johnny. I beg you all to link the Master List whenever and wherever you can:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1683

Trust me, as an experienced marketing man I can't tell you how effective this large and comprehensive list is in terms of raising consciousness. Do it!

It's no suprise then...

That there is a very fast and growing awareness. I can tell you from the long experience of JaRiMi and I that the world of rogue rums is very, very small and this latest advance in decentralized tranparency is and will continue to spread MUCH more rapidly and with great, great effect.

What I predict is that the Preacher and his ilk will soon be forced to address this issue. Their first attempt was weak - to claim that yes, we all knew that already, no big deal (absolute bullshit, as those few of us who raised our voice were quickly and crudely disappeared). I'm not sure what's next, but I'm gonna speculate that it's going to be along the lines that sugaring is legal, traditional and common.

They will overlook the fact that the 2.5% Additions Clause requires that any alteration must meet the test of "Established Practice" which sugaring - absolutely - does not. "Traditional" and "common" do not meet the legal standard.

Spreak the word! Speak out! Link both the Master List and the Petition if at all possible. Make clear your disdain for such cheating and tweaking of cheap spirits. Our side is finally winning...
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Without Johnny Drejer I doubt I would have had the courage to produce the Hydrometer Tests on my own site.

Kudos first and foremost must always be with Johnny.

Updates to the Hydro Tests below for you Jimbo to update the master list

4 Havana Club Rums and a Mezan Panama all passed with flying colours.

79 rums tested now and it does show that you can get plenty rum without all those additives

http://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Worth noting, Alko's listings change every now and then, and show new rums also (very modest amount, sadly).

By their measuring, the Matusalem (flavoured as we know) 15yo has 5g/litre sugar. This actually surprised me, the product seems much sweeter. Must be all those essences..