The Great Sugar Test: Updates...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

some good news from France
i heard from a truthful source that french government (repression of fraud services) is following Finland and Sweden, and should published sugar tests this summer (imported and french ones)... how nice is that ?
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great stuff Cyril, many thanks...

So the word is now out - big time - and the marketing monkeys must be going bananas. As the public becomes increasingly aware, just how are they going to explain their 15, 25 or 45grams of sugar? And how about the rest of it - glycerol, cheap sherry, artificial flavorings, prunes, molassess, et al?

Yup, they are in deep, deep shite methinks.

The show is about to begin...

Special note: cyril's contribution should take the Master List over 400, and we've only just begun. Those of you who have not ordered your 3-piece kits yet really need to do so.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to the Pirate who added 6 more rums...

Total is now 420 rums, a serious achievement.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Newest Additions:

The Pirate, kudo's to Wes...

Bacardi Gold 40/40 0
El Dorado 8 40/38 8grams (Lower than noted by Drecon.dk - maybe in time they have reduced the dosage)
Rhum Negrita Bardinet 40/40 0
M&S Gingerbread Rum 37.5 30.5 24 grams. (This rum is very likely to come from Cognac Ferrand and our friends at Plantation

Moi:

Santa Teresa 1796: 6-7 (new bottle)
Ron Botran 12 yr: 5

Current total: 427 tests.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Today's sugar test: Bermudez 1859 12 Year Aniversaio, 40%

FWIW, I tasted this rum before testing and found it narrow, smooth and smothered. My definite impression was that this rum seems sugared. Was it?

The test
Test 35.9% at 26.4C, corrected to 33% = 26g

The taste buds tell the story. Per Che know that even 1g of actual sugar (beyond a test of 3g) can be detected, and it take only 5g of sugar (a 7g test) to significantly alter the profile. It doesn't take much. At 26 grams Che showed that serious smothering has occured via sugaring. The odd part is that it's the alleged "premiums - in this case a 12 year - that seem to get the most sugar.

Why are the premiums among the worst offenders?

I think there are two factors: the first is that the distillers correctly assume that buyers expect young rums to be harsh, but buy into the marketing that the "premium" rum is going to be darker (E150a), sweeter and smoother. "It's so smooth! can be heard echoing around the world by misled buyers.

But I fear it's the second factor that is likely operating, and that is that the "premium" is actually a younger rum, perhaps with a touch of true aged rum but primarily a product of "premiumization". Lesser rum, sugar, hidden flavors (like vanilla and prune extract, sherry) then appearing in fancy bottle and label, and accompanied by a romantic but often invented backstory. Keep in mind also that no rums are really bonded or aged under government supervision, so any claims of age are simply that: claims.

Think about it, if a rum was really 12 to 23 years old, why would you smother it with not just a little "dosing" (thank you Pirate), but TONS of sugar, eg Z23 with 41 grams, or the Pee rums around 18-21g?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Next: Ocumare (produced in Venezuela, 40%)

Labelled as "bottled and exported by Complejo Licorero del Centro (Pampero/Diageo). The assumed sugaring is notable, with a remarkable resemblance to Santa Teresa 1796, also made in Venezuela. Tested at 9 grams.

http://www.diffordsguide.com/producers/ ... as-pampero
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Today's tests:

Santa Teresa Clara: 0 grams
Santa Teresa Anejo: 3
Calidado Original Jamaican Dark: 1
Cacique: 0
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Capn Jimbo wrote:
Think about it, if a rum was really 12 to 23 years old, why would you smother it with not just a little "dosing" (thank you Pirate), but TONS of sugar, eg Z23 with 41 grams, or the Pee rums around 18-21g?
Are we to assume the EDs are not carrying honest age statements? Because if they are, why indeed?!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hassouni wrote:
Capn Jimbo wrote:
Are we to assume the EDs are not carrying honest age statements? Because if they are, why indeed?!
IMNSHO (not so humble opinion, lol) I can only say that with some exceptions, most age statements cannot be trusted. It's hard to believe that distillers who cheat with sugar, glycerol and hidden flavorings and the like, would stop there and magically be scrupulously honest regarding age. Most of the invented products are based on bulk anyway, and really, who does know for sure?

No one. Most of us are or should be familiar with the longstanding US regulation that allows for optional bonding. In Canada all whisky is aged under government supervision (and taxation). The single malt producers have a history of purity and overwhelming honesty. But rum? I know of no distiller who has bonded their product in the United States, and this included domestic craft distillers.

As for the Caribbean, I am aware of no bonding practices. The result: it's all a "trust us" proposition, with unsupervised
bulk molasses and rum showing up almost anywhere and under any name. S
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sugar Test for Prichard's Fine Rum...

As expected, just 2 grams (which is surely extractives from 4 years in new oak 15 gallon barrels). BTW, the Caner recently trashed this exceptional rum, a subject which will be promptly addressed.

This is a great rum by a gentleman who was and remains a pioneer in craft distilling of rum in this country. The Caner should be ashamed.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

2 more tests

Don Papa 7
20°/32,6% mesured
s= 26-29gr/L

Centenario 20 (old bottle)
20/27,7% (and maybe less than 27, i just couldnt go below...)
s=41-44 gr/L
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to cyril....

Now 436 tests performed on "rum"... and still growing! Thanks to all.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Apologies for the delay...

More tests, first by the Pirate:
"Jimbo,

Some more Hydro Test results for the master list

Professor Cornelius Ampleforth's Rumbullion! 42.6 Label ABV 35 Tested ABV g/L 29
Ron Yacare (A Dominican rum produced for Carrefour supermarket in France/Spain) 37.5 ABV Label 37.5 ABV Test g/L 0
Cane Trader Dark Rum (Rum produced for convenience stores in the UK) 37.5 ABV Label 37.5 ABV Test g/L 0

Although Cane Trader does not show any added sugar it is to my mind definitely sweetened. Possibly artificially."
And by Moi:

DDL's "Diamond Reserve", white, 40%: 0g (right on the money).
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

cyril wrote:some good news from France
i heard from a truthful source that french government (repression of fraud services) is following Finland and Sweden, and should published sugar tests this summer (imported and french ones)... how nice is that ?
You should never trust the French they send spies over the water and everything......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

:D Just a bit humour as I'm not far from Hartlepool. Keep up the good work Cyril!