It's Deja Vu all over again Dept: Who IS that masked man?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

It's Deja Vu all over again Dept: Who IS that masked man?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup...the Lone Caner, the Lone Caner...

...if he does it again, so shall I. What's with this guy? He fancies himself a writer, but then plagiarizes himself. And once again he also fails to add water to a new make near OP.
Caner (re a new make single distilled Haitian clarin):

"I took a tentative pull with my nose. Even that tiny, delicate, sommelier-sniffing-the-wine sniff was too much. My eyes watered, my vision swam, my nose puckered, and my knees trembled. My God but this stuff was pungent. Not so much the strength, which was a relatively strong-but-bearable 53.5%, but its sheer intense potency. If I was older, I might have asked for a defibrillator to be on standby... I withdrew my nose after a few tries of this, scribbled my notes down in a shaking hand, and moved on to taste.

The rhum coated the tongue with the tenacity of a junkie clutching five dollar bill.

...exhibited that same off-the-scale craziness and untamed wild freedom. I don’t have a poker face worth a damn, and had never tried a white rhum with quite this level of profile intensity before. ...some taming of this beast is likely to be required... I’d only buy one at a time, far apar;and always have a defibrillator handy..."
This review was for a Haitian Clarin, just a few points below Wray & Nephews OP. And as is his way, yet again, and again, and again he finds it necessary to exhibit his usual Hemingwayish tough guy approach to never, ever adding water, period. Nope, he'd rather tough it out, miss half the flavors and aromas and prove that he's yup, the Lone Caner. Lone is right.

And another thing and another thing...

Something else has happened to our masked rider. Has his strong drink anesthesized a few of his left brain cells? Why do I ask? Even in the above, he found it necessary to recycle his dramatic "defibrillator" metaphor. Of course he loads up his copy with the usual hype with descriptors like "explosive" but then I read a description that I just knew I'd seen before, namely:

"The rhum coated the tongue with the tenacity of a junkie clutching five dollar bill."

Turns out I did. A quick Duck Duck Go search and there it was! The exact same phrase, but this time describing - yup - another OP, this time a Velier 1985 DDL 27 year (60%), and yes again chock full of manly and hairy chested descriptors. It's not the kind of silly phrase that one forgets, particularly when I found it a bit condescending to those who suffer the tragedy of addition - whether to heroin, or in this case to straight up overproof alcohol...

http://thelonecaner.com/clairin-sajous-rhum-review/
http://thelonecaner.com/velier-ddl-1985 ... um-review/
da'rum
Minor God

Re: It's Deja Vu all over again Dept: Who IS that masked ma

Post by da'rum »

a bit condescending to those who suffer the tragedy of addition

I agree, the tragedy of addition is difficult to sum up. ;)
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

ROFL!!!

Leave it to da'rum. At least I have made clear I don't fancy myself a writer. What a hoot! They don't call me the Compleat Idiot of Rum fer nuthin...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Even some rum producers state clearly not to drink these over proof spirits without dilution as it can be seriously negative on health to the point of death. I would look up the links but I think we can all agree on this statement. His statement of the junkie was fairly insensitive to say the least and also unfair. The better writing would have been to say a junky clutching a crack pipe between their lips while inhaling the intoxicating vapors. Impoverished "junkies" don't care much for money rather their drugs. To insinuate all drug users are poor which I believe was portrayed by the clutching of a small value bill is prejudice in its nature as drug users tend to come from all socioeconomic profiles not just the poor. I always thought it was known even to those new in spirits that a bit of water releases even more flavor and subtle notes.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Whilst I agree entirely with Lance's overuse of rather decorative language and I agree he should add water to his Overproof's.

I still think some people should have a good look at themselves before they start throwing stones when they are standing in glass houses.

Lance may not be perfect but his writing is WAY more interesting than this........

https://rumsmuggler.wordpress.com/
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thank you Mama for "getting it".

Unfortunately, my own daughter had her own struggles with drugs, and ultimately died from them. It was the hardest time in my life. In meeting other like parents, and working with those many professionals who tried to help us I came to learn that the problem is pervasive and affects good people from all walks of life, rich and poor.

Those families who suffer greatly from the ravages of addiction know that their loved ones often did not mean to become dependent, but some drugs are so powerful that addiction quickly takes hold. In these cases, as in mine, it becomes a totally engaging struggle that does not always succeed.

After my divorce my daughter was the victim of terrible and extreme abuse by her mother. By the time I got custody her self-esteem had been destroyed and ultimately she found solace in drugs, a mistake of course. She tried with all her might - and mine - to escape and to recover and did for a time, but continued to relapse until that fateful day and telephone call that I will never forget.

Believe me, she was a good and wonderful, very special young woman. She wanted desperately to live but it was not to be. To her last days she tried to help other young people by speaking to them of her own plight. She was talented, beautiful and lovely.

At least now I pray she is at peace at last...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

My much belated condolences Jimbo. I can't imagine how this has and continues to effect you.

I think the point here really is a reference that is not appropriate and relates to rum is no context. I have a darker past also like our current President relayed in his memoir, I also had a misguided youth, though mine lasted for almost a decade. While the article as a whole is rather interesting as is the rum reviewed this one insensitive line should be removed. In reality is makes no sense.

It appears also that the rater in the comments section did say he does add water but does not write about the results.

He also mentions that another Rum reviewer had some type of "legal proceedings" against you Jimbo. Sounds interesting, care to comment about this claim?
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

News to me. The only time I'd fear a lawsuit from that reviewer would be if I attempted to block his way to the dessert table, lol.

BTW the real story of my departure from Canerville is completely different than his fictional rendition, but which I never published out of respect for this gentleman. Hint: it had to do with a well intended Lone Ranger joke wherein Tonto, his sidekick, prevailed, lol...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

A tragic story Jimbo. My sincere condolences.
in goes your eye out