Reviewer's Review: The Rum Corner

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

How do you rate the Rum Corner (five is best)?

25%
25%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Reviewer's Review: The Rum Corner

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The good, the bad, but no real ugly...

. . . . . . .Image

I don't know how I ran across the “Rum Corner” but I'm both glad and sad I did. The glad part: here's a guy whose reviews are rather well written, and he seems to tell it like it is. He recognizes the sugar issue, but therein lies the problem. Apparently he feels there really are such things as “sweet rums” and the fact that this sweetness is the result of adulteration with copious amounts of sugar, et al, is well, just fine. So called “rums” like 1919, the Zee and Dee variety actually earn rather high ratings from him.

Which raises yet another issue. My god, what is it about these new and self-indulgent “reviewers” that causes them to adopt new, untested and unrecognized scoring systems? This when the Platinum Standard – the standard American grading system has been adopted by every serious reviewer of wine and spirits (and other things), beginning with the recognized father of the modern scoring system, Robert Parker. Parker uses a 100 point system, but the lowest score ever given is never less than “50”, the lowest score. It has been adopted as follows:

90-100: A or Five Stars, excellent
80-89: B or Four Stars, above average
70-79: C or Three Stars, average
60-69: D or Two Stars, below average (but passing)
50-59: F or One Star, failure.

Easy peasy, and absolutely everyone “gets” it. An absolutely average spirit will get a “75”. Period.

The Standard system is universal, and understood by everyone. There's simply no reason to install anything else without risking confusion and misunderstanding. Ergo, once again I am forced to interpret the Corner's system for you.

So how does the Corner score?

The Rum Corner has decided to use a 10 point system with one huge and glaring change. He runs his scores all the way down to 1 point; the lowest score he has given is just 2 points. This creates a real issue: his average score is “5” as designed (as he can ostensibly assign a score of “1”). His “average” is depicted by the vertical yellow arrow. Now consider the distribution. Based on his “average” score of “5”, if his scores were truly unbiased and followed a normal distribution, the same number of rums should appear on both sides of the average (which should be the largest score). Let's see what actually happens.

1. His largest score is “7” (10 rums), well above what should be his largest category, ie his “average” of “5” (just 5 rums).

2. Based on a total of 46 rums reviewed, an equal number of rums – 21 – should appear on either side of average. In his case the number of rums scoring less than average is just 5 rums, while the number scoring more than average is an amazing 36 rums. His bias is clear and rather extreme.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

From my point of view his negatives are: an acceptance of the idea of “sweet rums” no matter how achieved; his failure to dilute any rum regardless of proof; a focus on bottling, cases and labels; the acceptance of freebies for “review”; an inability to really define “super premiums” beyond price; and last, the belief for example, that an 8 year old rum is necessarily “entry level” (rather than the sweet spot of age). He has a clear bias toward expensive and premiumized releases and names his influences as including the Canadian boyz – both of em.

OTOH he is not devoid of positives. His reviews are to the point, decent palate, and he has no qualms about telling it like it is. He does recognize the use of sugar (even though he does not reject it), and does not hesitate to call out misrepresentation by the marketing monkeys. To the score, a hard one because I rather like this gentleman's reviews, and only because of these...

Score (10 is best): 7. Ignore the scoring and his bias toward age and price. A website and reviewer worth reading.

http://www.rumcorner.dk/
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

One of the few Rum Review sites I bother with.

Review's some quite scarce rums and although sometimes I feel some of his writing is lost a little in translation I thoroughly enjoy his reviews.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Captain,

Perhaps the imbalance towards the higher values is due to the rums he reviews. He does focus on independent bottlings which have very good reputation (Velier/ Bristol).

I agree I also dont like the package description.
I do like that he does not like the sugar ones which I find it fantastic and well enjoying (oh yes I do enjoy this).

What I also like is that he finds bottlings which are provided from very independent sources and gives info if/how you can buy them.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

"Perhaps the imbalance towards the higher values is due to the rums he reviews. He does focus on independent bottlings which have very good reputation (Velier/ Bristol)."

AK, thanks for bringing this up, as this misunderstanding is common, and has been addressed a few times. So rather than rewriting, here's how that misunderstanding was originally presented:
Moi:

"And yes, yes I can hear it now, especially from the reviewers whose distributions were abnormal and biased (funny, but all of them were biased to to higher scores, hmm). "But I chose better rums in the first place!". This, of course, is horseshit. The facts:

It doesn't matter.

Whether you picked what you considered just great rums, or just poor rums, the distribution of scores made by the same reviewer will still be normal. It's like playing darts: it doesn't matter whether you aim at the center or at the perimeter - all your shots will exhibit a normal distribution around your aiming point. Of the rums reviewed, most should get your median score, with fewer and fewer getting higher or lower scores."
The real tip off is yes, the scores but moreso the absence of the well known "bell curve" that represents a normal distribution. This curve is skewed FAR right to the high scores. This is covered in much more detail insofar as what a "normal distribution" is, and how it applies, here:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=383
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

See the point regarding the skewing of the distribution towards the right but perhaps this could be the result of 0-10 grades.

There is not much difference between the high grade rums for the curve to expand. Perhaps a difference scoring system would allow the curve to expand towards the right and assume a normal bell curve. (that would mean that the average score would be higher ofcourse)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

AK9 wrote:See the point regarding the skewing of the distribution towards the right but perhaps this could be the result of 0-10 grades.

There is not much difference between the high grade rums for the curve to expand. Perhaps a different scoring system would allow the curve to expand towards the right and assume a normal bell curve. (that would mean that the average score would be higher ofcourse)
AK, I know that the concept of "normal distribution" can be little hard to get - trust me, I went to a well known research-based university and I cannot tell you how complex statistics can be. All majors were required to take course(s) in understanding and interpreting stats.

What I can tell you is that the grading system and actual scores given have nothing to do with whether the distribution is normal (the classic balanced bell curve) or skewed (biased). Actually by expanding the number of scores/categories is more revealing. With 46 data points the analysis is quite reliable, and sadly, quite biased.

Please do refer to the link above for additional detail.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Very interesting review of ED21.
He does not pull punches.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

AK9 wrote:Very interesting review of ED21.
He does not pull punches.

Thanks for the comment and heads up, AK, but as for my reaction to his punching: yes and no. He comes so close, even citing the hydro test of 16g of sugar added, but then retreats by saying:
"It all comes down to this: Are you a fan of El Dorado and/or sweet rums in general? If yes, then you should definitely get the ED21 before you get the Zacapa XO. Believe me, the ED21 is better."
Like the Lone Canemeister he makes the classic mistake of believing (a) there is such a thing as a "sweet rum" (as opposed to a "sweetened" one) and (b) that the addition of sugar is just fine, and that the use of 16 grams might be acceptable for "smoothing" or to somehow maintain "consistency".

Of course this is straight-ahead moose pucky, and why - along with his high scoring bias - he is lucky to get a "7". I almost regret that score, but I'm praying that one day soon he'll "get" it.

El Dorado is now committed to become the largest producer of bulk tripe in the Carib.