Robert Burr arrested for battery of his mother?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

JaRiMi wrote:
Winston wrote:To be fair, who wasn't doing cocaine in 1970's Miami?
Kidding, rite? I'd like to believe so...? Like sayin' who didn't do crack in 2000s in city XYZ..

Unbelievable.
It was a joke... I wasn't even alive in the 70s :p
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

That was understood, because if you were, you would know that coke was an 80' thing. lol
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

edgarallanpoe wrote:
That was understood, because if you were, you would know that coke was an 80' thing. lol
Bwahahaha
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

hahaha :wink:
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It has been interesting to observe that until recently, Burr has not been posting with his usual frequency on his long held "Rum Examiner" series. Of a sudden, that seemed to change last week with a series of three or four closely spaced releases as his court date approaches in about three weeks.

The recent releases were for:
1. Bruno Mars' SelvaRey rum expands distribution August 25, 2015

2. St. Augustine Rum debuts in Florida August 24, 2015

3. Two Indies and Old Port rums from India August 21, 2015

4. Seven Day rum cruise visits Caribbean distilleries August 8, 2015
http://www.examiner.com/rum-in-national/robert-burr

That's four releases in just over two weeks, compared to just two releases in the entire month of July when this story took off. Burr seems to be playing poker and wants to portray a good hand. We'll soon see when the judge calls the game. Stay tuned for the legal reveal...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Just checked the courthouse database, and:
State Case No.: 13-2014-CF-013197-0001-XX
Name: BURR, ROBERT ADAMS Date of Birth: 12/09/1955
Date Filed: 06/06/2014 Date Closed:
Assessment Amount: $0.00 Balance Due: $0.00 Stay Due Date:

Hearing Date: 09/11/2015 Hearing Time: 09:00 Hearing Type: R

Court Room: REGJB - JUSTICE BUILDING, ROOM No.: 4-7
Address: 1351 N.W. 12 ST
Judge: HERSCH, RICHARD Defense Attorney: MCGUIRK, JAMES
File Section: F004 File Location: COURT Box No:
Defendant in Jail: N Defendant Release to: CASAL-PEREZ, CHG I
Bond Amount: $15,000.00 Bond Status:
Bond Type: SURETY Bond Issue Date: 06/06/2014
(Emphasis in bold added)

That was this morning, a few hours ago. I assume we will soon know whether the results of this hearing examining the criminal felony charges of "BATTERY/ELDERLY FELONY" made against Mr. Burr. Stay tuned...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Late breaking news...

Turns out that the recent 9/11 hearing was a "status" hearing, not the trial. This was shortly followed on 9/14 by a decision that seemed to involve "business records". The month before several witnesses were subpoened (probably the arresting officers). All of this indicates that the actual trial - soon - seems to be going forward.

The actual trial is still set for 9/21 (five days from now) and it seems clear that it will go forward, as no further continuances were granted. Burr seems to have gone silent again at least insofar as his "Rum Examiner" series.

Stay tuned...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

bump of support. Watching this thread.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Update...

In the interest of clarity, a report of the final outcome may be redone with minor changes. Two posts were deleted: Mama's earlier short post contained a number of errors or misassumptions, which were noted. My usual overly lengthy one tried to clear these up but incorrectly noted the the Stay due date as 10/21/16 (next year). The correct date is 10/21/15 (next month).

The rest of that very long post stands, will be corrected and reported later, but for now: just the basics:
  • 1. After the usual pretrial discovery, depositions and subpoenaes the hearing finally went forward on 9/21/15 (a week ago). An earlier Motion to Dismiss had been denied.

2. The following Orders of the Court were docketed on that date:
    • (a) ORDER OF SUPERVISION 1 YEAR PROBATION
      (b) DOMESTIC VIOL STAY AWAY ORDER (PRETRIAL DIVERSION/PROBATION) MARGARET BURR (PROBATION)
      (c) DOMESTIC VIOL STAY AWAY ORDER (PRETRIAL DIVERSION/PROBATION) RICHARD BURR(PROBATION
    3. A short Stay was requested and granted, until 10/21/15 (next month)
A word about "Stays". A "Stay" is just as it sounds, ie a delay. There are two basic types: a stay of execution and a stay of proceedings. The first simply delays the sentence, the second means the trial itself is being put on hold.

Due to my misreading the stay due date as 10/21/16 (next year), I interpreted that to mean the proceeding would not be finalized until after the one year probation was served (a stay of proceedings), as to delay Probation for over a year made no sense. The actual stay due date of 10/21/15 (next month) is much more likely to be a short stay of execution.

If so, and I think it is, that means this matter is over and final, as summarized above.

It goes without saying that Burr has had his issues with the Rum Queen and with the Preacher, and too with many of us. Rousing debate was (and should have been) the beginning and end of all these. No one could have possibly predicted the instant events, and I'm confident that no one wished this gentleman true ill in his life, however unliked he may have been.

It was my sincere hope that these scathing charges were unfounded as once claimed, and that he would be found "not guilty", but that was not to be. This is is a sad, sad day, I wish him well, and I do hope he manages to achieve or regain the respect of all concerned, if that is possible.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The sounds of...

...silence. Some of you may recall that leading up to the final hearing in this matter that Mr. Burr released a flurry of his national "Rum Examiner" posts, in retrospect which may have reflected his hope that this case would go away, be dismissed or that he would be found "not guilty". As we now know none of these happened.

Appearing to have cut a deal with the prosecutor, Burr is now serving a sentence of one-year of court supervised probation, and has been ordered to "stay away" from what appear to be two named "Burr" family members. An embarassing outcome to say the least.

It is noteworthy that the flurry of his Rum Examiner posts has ended, with his last post appearing to be on September 29th (after about four posts in two weeks). Not a word since. The silence speaks volumes...

It has to be difficult, and I truly wish this gentleman well, but first - and as we all must in similar circumstances - the piper must be paid...

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

As noted Burr's attorney achieved a brief stay of sentence...

...to Oct 21st as I recall. Leading up to his sentencing and in perhaps a burst of activity showing confidence, he'd posted a bunch of articles (about 6 in a month). He posted just one a week after the stay, and apparently another today.

What this all means in relation to the court's order is unknown, as in some cases courts are concerned about association with alcohol, as speculated by one of our posters.

But in any event, he's baaaack. Well, a little.