Blend your own rum online?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Blend your own rum online?

Post by mamajuana »

I just came across a website to make your own rum blend by the bottle and they ship the the USA.

https://www.rumblender.nl/

Check out this website for yourself and comment.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

From what I understand the company comes out of the Netherlands. Which is the gateway for many European bottlers to get their stocks of rum before blending.

This is where most the "bulk" rum is sold in Europe.

With no information given on the age or distillery used for any of the rums you can blend I won't be paying £50 plus for a bottle of what is likely fairly young rum.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome to the new normal, and a marketeers' wet dream...

A bunch of clearly altered cheepo rums - but - bottled by Cuban virgins in luxury bottles and with any really cool name you can think of and yes, for super-premium prices? You decide, and...

...welcome to the new normal!
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Welcome to the new normal, and a marketeers' wet dream...

A bunch of clearly altered cheepo rums - but - bottled by Cuban virgins in luxury bottles and with any really cool name you can think of and yes, for super-premium prices? You decide, and...

...welcome to the new normal!
Not necessarily so, the rums come from a well known and reputable bottler E.A. Scheer. And before you say it, it is not Scheer BS. They don't have a habit of directly altering the products themselves. I think the Rum Blender idea is fun and it is clearly intended for amateurs and not professionals and I think the theme of the website makes it very approachable to "normal" consumers. Of course I haven't tried them yet so I can't say for sure if they are good or bad. Until then!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hello and nice to see you too, lol...

Aw c'mon, let's get real here.

The day that any even remotely worthwhile blending can be done (a) by amateurs and (b) without ever actually nosing or tasting the rums or combinations as you go is a joke, pure and simple. And look at those ridiculous names of your "choices":
  • Buttered Strumpet
    Fruit Salad
    Caramel Log
    Old Spice
    Rum Raisin
    Candy Cane
    Smoke & A Pancake
Seriously? Sounds like a selection of ice cream flavors, not rum. Take Rum Raisin for example:
"Rich and quite heavy with sweetness consisting of chocolate and caramel. A real good bodied rum raisin taste." Heavy with sweetness consisting of chocolate and caramel? Really? Or how bout Smoke & A Pancake? This concoction is described as "The pancake bit is more of a joke, but we're serious about the smoke. A unique taste containing cane juice, pungent smoky bacon and earthy flavours".

Of course these are altered and flavored.

The others include a white, a suggested gold base, a NAS "aged", a "Latin style with tropical spices", and so on. One implies "buttery", others promote "fruit", "caramel", "spice" et al, as though one were blending individual ingredients rather than a hodge podge of rums, some very obviously altered. John Glaser himself couldn't blend these over the net.

The chance of anything successful, much less palatable? Close to zero. It's a gimmick for people with more money than brains, and who aren't counting, lol. How much money? The bottle I "blended" was over $130, delivered to Fort Lauderdale!
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

This wouldn't happen to be your blend would it Cap'n?

https://www.rumblender.nl/b.php?code=RB47640
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Um, er, urp, well...

Mama, you DO have a talent for finding things, lol. Note to readers: there is NOTHING on the net that Mama can't discover and link. Nothing.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Rather timely, I met John Glaser yesterday, and he said for each release, they do about 50 iterations and experimental mixes over the course of a year before nailing down the blend - and this is knowing what each component tastes like!
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

As I suggested, these are names and descriptors meant to be easily approachable by those inexperienced in rum. As simple as possible and a bit of fun. They are certainly not serious notes but it doesn't automatically mean they are flavored. They also have a website called Whisky Blender, do you think they would add flavours and sugar to these? Do you think they would be allowed to.

Anyway, don't knock it before you try it! I'm sure some of our friends will soon get to try them and will post their thoughts and hydrometer results.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Actually I AM knocking it before I try it. In a word, lol...

. . . . . . .Image

A mere $135 delivered before you have even the remotest clue as to how it will taste. In this case sugar - LOTS of it - might actually help, lol. Hassouni makes the point: it is impossible to create any reasonable blend without nosing or tasting as you go.

Impossible. Most would consider this a complete joke designed for rich idiots.

https://www.rumblender.nl/b.php?code=RB47640
rockydog101
Oscar

Post by rockydog101 »

It's not worth making a new thread over... I just got back from Sint Maarten... Brought back a lot of Havana club. Down there, they had a "st Maarten rum"... Otter says it was created and bottled in Kentucky. Laughed my ass off.