Questions you'd ask Zacapa's Brand Ambassador

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
da'rum
Minor God

Questions you'd ask Zacapa's Brand Ambassador

Post by da'rum »

A really poor interview with Rebecca Quiñonez was recently conducted by a rum blogger here;

http://www.therumlab.com/interview-with ... on-zacapa/

I took issue with the powder puff piece, to which the interviewer, to his credit, politely asked me what questions I would ask if I was the one conducting the interview. I came up with a few and then stopped and thought, 'I know some people who may be able to come up with some suggestions as well'

So guys, what would you ask Zacapa's shill?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice to see our good friend, da'rum, back in action...

Here goes:

1. You state you see your task as educating the public as to "the versatility, elegance and refinement of Zacapa Rum. In this regard, older tests by the government of Finland, Sweden and other testers showed that older versions of Z23 contained just over 40 grams of sugar. Why? What kind of sugar, and in what form? How does "sugaring" contribute to Zacapa's "elegance and refinement"?

2. More recently similar tests seem to indicate between 20 and 25 grams of sugar, but now in the form of largely fructose, a much more potent sweetener. Did you change from primarily sucrose to primarily fructose (or the like)? And if so, for what reason?

3. A widely published flowchart of your aging scheme demonstrates that Z23 and the XO were never true soleras, and that both seem to be drawn from the same point in your scheme. Can you provide an up to date schema?

4. Are either the Z23 or the XO a blend? Are they altered to taste with sugar, or are sucrose or fructose added in constant amounts? Do you use different amounts for different markets? How about the American market - sweeter?

5. How do you justify using such large amounts of sugars in a so-called premium product?

6. Do you add any other smoothers, glycerol, artificial or natural flavorings or sherry? If so why? And if so, why are such alterations kept secret?

7. Can you describe your aging and cooperage in more detail? Ex-bourbon? Fill? Preparation (eg toasting or aging)?

8. You state that "rum has evolved in the last 3 to 5 years". How is that? Discuss the effects of the massive rum subsidies (via the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) on Diageo and your many smaller competitors.

9. The Big Three (Diageo, Bacari and Fortune) have now taken over at least 90% of American shelf space, and ALL of the prime, eye level space. How does that promote diversity and competition?

10. You have compared a few rums to fine single malt whiskys (which are largely uncolored, and which use no sugar or additives of any kind). With that in mind why and how do you consider that altered rum can compare to pure, and honest, unaltered single malts and/or bourbon?

11. Age is closely regulated by Scotland, and also for American Bourbon by the government. Compare to your rum and the lax regulations of Zacapa and Guatemala. Are your rums aged under direct government supervision and warehouse bonding, or are we force to believe your claims? Why didn't Z23 become Z24 a year after it's introduction?

That's for starters... good luck!

Addendum: correction in "red" above...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks, I might paraphrase those questions but I think most of them I'll steal.
in goes your eye out
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I attended a "whisky dinner" at a local bar a few months ago as a night out with friends.

Upon my arrival I realized it was a minor Diageo event.

The rep was clueless.

I'm pretty sure this brand ambassador has very little knowledge about nor interest in production. It doesn't seem to be a requirement with D, which makes perfect sense - because if the reps dug into how the product was made the way we'd like to know ourselves, they'd likely be fired for missing the point of the company, which is promoting the conspicuousness of consumption.

Also, this "interviewer" does indeed need to come up with a better method than taking the same questions every time and cutting and pasting them to everyone he contacts. The questions are so broad and insipid that it tends to give the worst operators - who especially know how to take advantage of a chance at spin - a podium from which to broadcast BS.

When you think about it it's kind of an insult to the people he's contacting - at least take some time to tailor questions to the person you're talking to. Don't send them a standard form!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Right on Tot!

After I concocted my Zacapa list of specific questions, I belatedly realized this. What a hoot! Webmasters do no favors for their readers if they don't turn up the temperature...
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

agree, 'Seek to understand is starting to disobey'
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

My question would be :

"I bought a bottle of Zacapa 23 back in 2011...

...is it too late to get my money back?"
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

Brand ambassadors very seldom know anything about the product, for their sole purpose is to try and sell the product, at best they will know the usual marketing crap found on press releases and perhaps some of them have even met the producer. Of course there are well knowledgeable ambassadors out there but most of the time it is pointless to ask them any real questions and even if they know the answers, they will do their best to change the subject or answer the question as ambiguously as possible. Black Tot said it the best.