Anyone in the US ever ordered from The Whiskey Exchange?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

The Fat Rum Pirate wrote:
mamajuana wrote:I have to disagree strongly on the 73% being anywhere similar to the 40% variety which was double aged in cognac barrels. The Cognac finish is very evident on the 40% its got a completely different flavor profile, does not taste remotely similar. Please water down the 73% to 40% and do a comparison and tell me we have the same thing here. Though I respect the fact that you dislike this particular rum as you are not alone in this, potentially the US and UK batches were different. I happen to highly enjoy it, to each their own I suppose.
I said similar not the same. It's a cheap Trini blend nothing more nothing less.

I don't really know why you think there is potential for the Plantation offering in the US to be different to the UK one? I'm not aware of any differences in other Plantation bottlings.

I'm quite content to say the stuff is awful - if you think otherwise I don't think it will have anything to do with differences in the bottlings. We all have our different tastes and appreciate different things.

Well I said that potential existed if it was not clear because of our polar opposite thought's on the rum. All American reviews have been very favorable.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

mamajuana wrote:
The Fat Rum Pirate wrote:
mamajuana wrote:I have to disagree strongly on the 73% being anywhere similar to the 40% variety which was double aged in cognac barrels. The Cognac finish is very evident on the 40% its got a completely different flavor profile, does not taste remotely similar. Please water down the 73% to 40% and do a comparison and tell me we have the same thing here. Though I respect the fact that you dislike this particular rum as you are not alone in this, potentially the US and UK batches were different. I happen to highly enjoy it, to each their own I suppose.
I said similar not the same. It's a cheap Trini blend nothing more nothing less.

I don't really know why you think there is potential for the Plantation offering in the US to be different to the UK one? I'm not aware of any differences in other Plantation bottlings.

I'm quite content to say the stuff is awful - if you think otherwise I don't think it will have anything to do with differences in the bottlings. We all have our different tastes and appreciate different things.

Well I said that potential existed if it was not clear because of our polar opposite thought's on the rum. All American reviews have been very favorable.
It's a rum I will have to re-visit. My original review is too but it bluntly pretty shit. I've definitely moved on in the last 2 years.

My memories may well be tainted by the normal Original Dark (which I do think is appalling).