El Dorado 25

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

El Dorado 25

Post by Beukeboom »

Visited a liquor store today west of Panama City Beach, FL and saw for my first time a bottle of El Dorado 25 rum on sale for $539. Now El Dorado is one of my favorite brands and I have spent a little under $150 for a special bottle of rum (Ron Abuelo Centuria) that I plan on using for a special celebration soon (hopefully) but is that El Dorado really worth shelling out over half a grand? Is it really that special or superior to El Dorado 15 to justify such a huge price tag? Opinions? Thoughts? Comments?
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I passed on it personally. The older two vintages showed massive sugar added. At this price point you could get a really nice 12 pack of rums.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

I did get a nice Ron Centenario 20 from a Winn Dixie liquor store afterwards. Lot less cost.
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

I'd pass on it. I worked my way up to the ED21 when I was still a rum novice and, even with my inexperienced palate, it was already too "smooth" and struck me as being tampered with. This was before the sugar tests confirmed the massive amounts of sugar in premiums bottles such as the ED21 and ED25.

And that is just the sugar, although it has yet to be proven, I'm convinced that there is lot more being added to rum then just sugar.

When I started out, I was convinced that older always meant better. However, rum gains more from the barrels for a given amount of time compared to whiskey, and so my view is that the older rums have so much oak influence they have to be doctored to regain a rum profile to be palatable to most people.

All that to say, you'd be better off, like mama replied, buying a dozen different bottles of rum rather then a 25 year old rum that was heavily tampered with to regain the profile of a 12 year old.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

I recently tried a couple of agricole white rums from Martinique that have an aroma and flavor reminding me of the old school ribbon cane syrup cooking I saw as a kid in rural Mississippi. Both around $35 a bottle if memory serves me correctly. No added sugar as far as taste goes. I am going to be bummed when I run out. Cannot get more where I live.