US rum Dept - Bayou select review

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

US rum Dept - Bayou select review

Post by mamajuana »

After trying to get back to normalcy after the Montanya rum incident, I found a local store carrying Bayou Rum, distilled in Lacassine, Louisiana. I bought the Select and white labels. They also have a spiced rum and a Satsuma Rum Liqueur, both labeled correctly.

The distillery was opened in 2013 and these barrels of aged rum were said to be put down in oak shortly after, making this rum about 3 years old. This was from the newest batch #1502. The rum is copper pot distilled from locally sourced molasses.

More info on Bayou select:

http://bayourum.com/2015/04/bayou-select-rum/

I started out the tasting first. The nose is interesting as is the color both closest actually to Foursquare port finish release. I would say this batch 1502 was matured at some point in ex-port casks. I pulled out both bottles together and the similarity cannot be denied.

The palate is rather complex reminding one of a Bajan rum bringing us full circle. Heavy oak, the wine cask influence, rays of vanilla arrive shortly before an intense black pepper and with a moderate finish of baking spices and molasses with a underlying sweetness that stays in the mouth.

Overall I would say I enjoyed the rum. Very Bajan like in overall style not bad I thought.

Hydro Test

So I hit this with the Hydro. 36.9% ABV with a temperature of 17.9. We correct this to 37.8% ABV. So we have about 8.8 G/L in suspected additives. I was let down somewhat by this such a distinct rum handcrafted in the USA. The underlying sweetness on the finish to me does imply added sugars here.

Yet another US rum failing the transparency mark.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

I've tried all four of the Bayou rums and the spiced rum is my favorite of the four. The Satsuma is a rather unique rum. I wonder how it would fare in mixed drinks. Maybe a "Satsuma Hurricane"?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mama, good tongue.

Again this makes the case for investing a piddling $30 so as to be able to test one's own purchases (and to report the results to the Project). Che too pointed out the value of adding sugar to a know pure rum (he used a Seales) so as to be able to train your palate.

Nice stuff M, keep it up...