Book: "Rum" by Dave Broom - Good Readin'?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
adri_dand
Greaser

Book: "Rum" by Dave Broom - Good Readin'?

Post by adri_dand »

Hey there Capn'!

Regarding Dave Broom's book entitled ''Rum'', there seems to be two editions available. One edition published in November 2003, and one in October 2003.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

One from Column A, One from Column B

Post by Capn Jimbo »

If I could buy only one book on rum, "Rum" by Dave Broom would be it. As you have already discovered it came in with two different covers by two different publishers.

They are the same book.

"Rum" is 176 gloriously illustrated pages, and is way more than the coffee table book genre of which it appears. It's a great introduction to rum and its history, production, fermentation and distillation. Broom also discusses some of the important countries and their differences. He concludes with excellent rum tasting advice and a substantial list of his own reviews and ratings.

List price is about $35, but on Amazon today you can buy it new for about $15, used in good condition for $10. My copy features the cover jacket featuring rum bottles.

Don't hesitate!
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

I was also looking for a good book on Whisky. Any suggestions?
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

I recently receiver the Dave Broom book, ''Rum'', and must say that it's absolutely amazing. It's well written and offers much about the history of rum and the different places from which it comes.

There's also a nifty section at the back listing different distilleries and Bloom's review of their products.

I just wish that there was an up to date version of bloom's ratings and tasting notes. I haven't looked into this but perhaps there is one!

Anyone know?! Thanks!
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?
Capn Jimbo

About the truly noble spirit... whisky.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

About the truly noble spirit... whisky...

I have little real knowledge about whisk(e)y, but I have heard that the two resources most commonly recommended are:

1. Whisky Bible 2010 by Jim Murray

2. Whisky The Definitive World Guide to Scotch Bourbon and Whiskey
by Michael Jackson

Perhaps the most interesting whisky site I've had the pleasure to visit is Malt Madness (link). This amazing website is an unequalled guide for beginner's and advanced tasters alike. My humble efforts should be so competent.

In fact, Malt Madness is one of the very few, non-rum websites I have officially linked.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Good book, could be even better...

Post by JaRiMi »

I think Dave Broom has done a great job with his book "Rum", but he too joins the ranks of rumwriters who fail to mention anything about the not-so-well-known-undisclosed practices that take place in some rum producing countries - and I mean the not-advertised-not-mentioned spicing of new make spirit for one.

I will have to read the book again, but I failed to see any reference to spicing the spirit in order to get taste & flavours to it (except in the parts that explained the so-called "Spiced Rums" - which are a different thing, of course).

Again I have to wonder, since so many authors and others feel that no, the rum makers aren't hiding their methods and no, there is no secrecy about it as I have dared to sometimes suggest (heaven forbid, hang me, the rumhater!) - how come major books, websites and other information sources available fail 100% to mention this as a part of the process....

In any case Dave Broom's book is a glorious celebration of rum and it is (otherwise) highly informative source for anyone interested. The fantastic photos make it beautiful reading as well.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I agree that Rum by Dave Broom is a very entertaining read. Just keep in mind that the information presented as current in the book is now 7-8 years out of date.

"Rum, a Social and Sociable History" by Ian Williams, and "and a bottle of Rum" by Wayne Curtis are also entertaining reads for anyone with a curiosity about the history and lore of rum.

None of these books touch on the current issues facing the rum industry, though.

Maybe someone around here could volunteer to write that book.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Another extremely detailed book that deserves mention is by Charles Coulombe, "Rum, the Epic Story of the Drink that Conquered the World". Coulombe is rather unique in that he is also a well known writer and lecturer in the subjects of religion, economics, political and literary topics. His book is perhaps the most complete and academic.

J., I even recently bought "Caribbean Rum: A Social and Economic History" by Frederick H. Smith, which is a true academic, if not rather dry study of rum in the Caribbean. Neither this, nor any of the other resources mentioned in this thread fully address our issue of unannounced additives and flavorings.

A rare exception is Richard Seale of the R.L. Seale's Barbadian distilleries. He has taken a public stance in favor of purity and honesty in labeling. I've had the great pleasure of meeting him and discussing this issue. It's his position that, other than his own, most rums are so altered.

Here at this forum and at the main website, Sue Sea and I have worked diligently to attempt to distinguish the pure from the altered and saying so. The Twiggie Tie Dye Rum section specifically addresses this issue.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I must say I've heard nothing but good about Mr. Seale, and the rums he makes are exceptional in quality.

Hope to introduce his rums to new territories one day, because they deserve the market and positive attention! I must say that I made a special mention referring to him (with admiration & respect) just a few weeks ago when I did a rum presentation. I wish him all the success.