Question: Starting a rum collection?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Garick
Oscar

Question: Starting a rum collection?

Post by Garick »

Hello the board!

So... Two years ago, I was a typical American rum consumer. I never drank rum straight. Slugs of Navy rums and (shudder) Bunderburg, had convinced me that unmixed rum was like unto drinking alcoholic kerosene. I was (and remain) fond of Captain Morgan and Coke, and various rum cocktails, but that was about it.

Then I deployed to Kosovo, where I was exposed to Barbancourt at the French and Norwegian bars on base. I was converted to the idea of sipping rum, and my love of single-malt Scotches suddenly had a rival.

Shortly thereafter, a friend gave me a bottle of Zaya, and my conversion was complete. I realize it's a blend and is flavored, but I am not a rum purist as I am a Scotch purist. The mouth and flavor were enough to make it one of my favorite adult beverages ever.

Now that I have returned to the states, I have determined to educate myself about fine rums, and was fortunate enough to find this site.

So: I am looking to build a collection of sipping rums representing the major genres. I have tried Pyrat Pistol, and found it acceptable, but not highly impressive. I am still very much in love with Zaya and Barbancourt (especially the 5 star). Based on the review on the board, I have place internet orders for:
Mount Gay Extra Old
El Dorado 15 year
Old Monk 7 year
Flor de Cana 7 year
Barbancourt 8 year
and, of course, several bottles of my beloved Zaya

So, this is what I ask of you old hands:
1- Where can I find Seale's 10 year? My internet searches only turned up the Foursquare. Does anyone know of an internet vendor, or a brick-and-mortar supplier near Colorado Springs?
2- Your suggestions. What must haves am I missing?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Garick
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

And cheers to you, Garick!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great question...

Actually I covered this long ago over at The Rum Project main site (link below in red). Look there and click on "Chapter Five: A Basic Starter Collection".

But it's fair to say that your ideas change (or should) over time and with experience. So I pulled on my pants (it's morning here, or is that too much information?), called Sue Sea and said we'd received your question and what did she think?

It is scary how much we agreed, and the rums you've ordered are pretty impressive and you've already picked some of the leading candidates (MGXO, Barbancourt Five Star, and ED15. I too am a big fan of Zaya - a rum that almost defines it's own category, and you will not regret your choice of Old Monk XXX - one of the very few rums that uses completely authentic, and in the case of Monk, exotic spices (what else would you expect from an Indian rum?).

But back to your choices.

You need a good Cuban style rum and it would be very hard to beat Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. This rum is so delicious and drinkable that it's actually dangerous to open a bottle.

Now although the cane juice rum category is well covered by Barbancourt Five Star, the Three Star is nearly as good and will give you a better sense of the cane juice origin. In the same way, El Dorado Five Year is rarely mentioned but actually won a showdown with the 12 and 15 Year. Amazing! The Three Star is available for perhaps $18, and the ED5 is - are you sitting down - $9!

For the Jamaican style it's a no brainer: Appleton Extra 12 Year. But you would be wise to also order Wray & Nephew's Overproof - again, quite economical and truly an institution in Jamaica used on every conceivable occasion, and a staple in every, yes every household. W&N will cover the overproof category and is a world class rum, again under $20.

You really should have a true blue Navy rum and only Pusser's Blue Label will do the trick. The original secret formula for the official British Navy Rum (two tots per day aboard ship), was given to Pusser on the proviso that a share of the profits went to a sailor's fund. It is the one and only true Navy rum and will give you a real handle on where rum came from.

In the Barbadian category, Doorly's Extra Old and Seale's Ten Year are nice backups to the MGXO. The Doorly's especially is not expensive, and their 5 Year is also very, very nice. I'd be sure to also pick up a bottle of Mount Gay's Eclipse

It is well to know that younger rums are often overlooked by rum snobs who associate age and expense with quality. In truth 7 to 10 years of aging is about right, and older rums (your ED 15 year is close to being overdone, but is a good example of that).

Hope that helps but this should cover the Barbadian, Jamaican, Cane Juice, Demeraran and Cuban styles.

Let us know how it works out...
Garick
Oscar

Post by Garick »

Great list, thank you. I am pleasantly surprised by how many I picked out without the chapter 5 link. I must say, I am really eager to try the much-revered Seale's 10, so if anyone has hints on where to find it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

The Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva is actually available at my local store, so that one's an easy kill. edit: Ahh, now that I'm reading the main page, I am fondly remembering the Havana Club 15. King of the Norwegian bar. Maybe someday we will see it in the States again.

I must admit to some measure of apprehension on the Navy rum, as all rums I've tried with that appellation before were overpowering even in cocktails.

Well, I'll let y'all know my thoughts as the orders start rolling in. Thanks greatly for the excellent reviews and advice.
Cheers,

Garick
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Pussers is a must buy!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pussers Blue Label is a must buy...

Only one rum may truly be called Navy rum and that is, of course, Pussers Blue Label. The British Navy served rum to its seamen twice a day (about a pint) since rum appeared in the islands, circa 1700 until 1971 (Black Tot Day). Pussers uses the original formula - a state secret - used by the British Navy since 1803, and blended from five British Caribbean rums in guarded English warehouses by the E. D. & F. Man Ltd. company.

Charles Tobias obtained the rights in 1979 on the basis that (a) he would keep the formula secret and (b) make donations from his profits to the British Royal Sailor's Fund.

The rum itself uses the Admiralty blend of five rums and is reviewed (here). I can assure you it is wholly unlike any of the so-called "Navy" rums you are likely to find. Certainly Pussers is an acquired taste, but you will come to love and respect this fine rum.

Sue Sea's response: "It's true history, authenticity with every drop. The aroma will fill the room with a pleasant, romantic aroma that amplifies what the pure and real spirit of rum is all about. It is as hearty as the souls of the navy men who relished it, with every tot seeing you through another hard night at sea. "

I'm a big believer in understanding history and tradition, and it is well to learn this rum well. Pussers is real and true and does not rely on the modern tradition of altering cheaper continuously distilled rums with unlabeled sugar, artificial spices and additives to taste more like a liqueur.

Example: Zaya. "Rum" as defined by the U.S., the EU and accepted by the ACS (Assoc. of Caribbean States) is to be free of any additives short of trace amounts of caramel to adjust color. Sadly, most rums are altered.

Pussers has become one of our most highly favored rums, and we would never be without a bottle.
Garick
Oscar

Post by Garick »

Well, the order is in, and I am typing a bit buzzed after testing my new treasures.

Old Monk!! Wow! Even my wife, who is not a fan of un-mixed hard alcohols was impressed. Butterscotch and lingering spices. Yum!

Eldorado 15 was my next fave, though I took no notes (just arranged the bottles in order) and my palate is now destroyed. So... deeper thoughts later.

Still looking for the Seales 10, if anyone has tips on where to find it.
Cheers,

Garick
Garick
Oscar

Post by Garick »

Revisiting this now that I've got a chance to get to know my rums. The Ron Martusalem Gran Reserva is so reminiscent of the Havana Club 15. Great stuff, and my favorite intro for new palates now.

I have found the Jamaican and Navy rums to be a bit too blatantly alcohol flavored for my taste. Not the molasses and kerosene of a Bunderberg, but still...

How do you characterize the Black Rums? Goslings has a lot of nice complex flavors, and the molasses of its origin is very marked. OTOH, Kraken, which is Germany's most popular rum for drinking straight, is just a mess. Twiggy tie-dye indeed. With all those flavorings, they could have started with Wild Turkey.

Capn's Log: Please refer to the "Overproof, Black & Navy Rum" section (link)). In this section all the darks are reviewed, and there's even a nice smackdown comparing them for - yup - sipping too!

Still, it was not until later that we finally got around to tasting and reviewing Myers's Legend (a ten year aged version of Myers's Original Dark). In a word, the Legend was stupendous, one of the best and most authentic dark/navy rums we've ever tasted.
Cheers,

Garick
NCyankee
Admiral

Q

Post by NCyankee »

The only place I have seen Seales 10 yr old was in the Orlando Total wine I pillaged while on vacation last summer, have not managed to find it online from a place that delivers to NC. A bargain a $25.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Maybe I am alone with this view, but if one wants to really start a collection of rums, I'd then advise to go for rums which may still be available, but not for long - instead of mainstream, easily obtainable ones. ??

I hear that old Demerara supplies are very short these days - so very old 1970's demerara bottlings from Berry's, Velier and Gargano; Caroni Trini rums; older Martinique vintages; Rockley still rum from Barbados bottled by Bristol Spirits; the old Zacapa bottlings; special vintage & edition bottlings of Reunion rums from Savana and Riviere du Mat; special editions from JA or Bim rums - all very collectable, and disappearing from the markets eventually (soon).

It's another thing to be building up a good rum selection for consumption (which I gather this case was more about).
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

JaRiMi,

Sea Wynde would be in that category, since they went out of business last year. Merwin's in Minnesota still has it listed on their site at the original price of $39 while I had heard another place had jacked it up to $70.

I got a bottle from them and though I can't say I love it, it is a very interesting rum and worth trying.