Expert's Corner: Seldom Heard speaks...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Expert's Corner: Seldom Heard speaks...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What's the "Expert's Corner"?

This is where the commercial and faux commercial wannabees end up. These are just ordinary putzes who just happen to possess ego and time enough to put up a "rum website". They are almost never - well, never actually - qualified as real authorities. What they're really after is to gain attention, to get lots of freebies and/or to promote their rum business. In time, a bunch of monkeys come to regard this webmasterbater as an "expert", and here's the key - this individual now feels obligated to act the part.

They have painted themselves into the "Expert's Corner". This week its Seldom Heard at the Shillery. A newbie asks a very intelligent question, one that should be basic...
Intelligent Newbie: "I'm new to rum and have only tasted Bacardi 8. Are there any rums with a similar flavour profile... I'm not asking for similar tasting rums, what I want are the profiles which are a different thing. Rum seems to generally categorised as dry, sweet, smoky from what I'm reading.

I think it'd be a good idea to list rums by flavour profiles when doing reviews... to give us newcomers a bit more of an idea of what to try. After all, one mans nectar can be onother mans poison.
Excellent! And this my friends, is exactly what went through my mind when we first discovered rum. And what kind of answer did our sincere and intelligent fellow traveller get?
Seldom Heard: "...one mans nectar can be onother mans poison."

You summed it up best. It's YOUR journey. If something sounds like you might like it, give it a shot.
Yup, the Preacher's standard Shillery swill "It's all good, my favorite rum is the one in my glass". Hey, just drink up man! Poor fellow - he comes along, registered and reaches out for some real guidance and he gets - nada. For me that advice was worse than nothing. It led me to buy many, many rums and still have no basis for understanding or appreciating them. It was not until I bought perhaps the best single source for rum appreciation - Dave Broom's "Rum", along with Ian Williams wonderful historical tome - that two things became apparent:

1. That there are indeed styles (Broom's Jamaican, Demeraran, Cane Juice and Cuban).

2. That from our point of view, the styles reflected the history and devopment of rum as distilling migrated through the Caribbean.

For all practical purposes Barbados - with perfect conditions and closest to England - was the defacto home, moving to Jamaica, and later Guyana and the other islands. The Cuban style was the latecomer as established by Bacardi in Cuba. Thus there are surely four basic styles to which the Bajan rums is a natural, identifiable addition. Dominican and Trindadian rums - while being identifiable - might be considered as well.

The Key...

The current classifications of rum - from the Shillery's "it's all good" monoclass - to the notions of color, age, overproof and the like - all fail for one reason. They can't be identified by blind tasting. A category is useless if you can't taste and identify it. And it is counterproductive to vainly try to compare rums of different styles. Only style meets that criterion, as each of the styles can usually be identified by a modestly experienced rum afficianado. Although this also leads to idea of personal reference rums for comparison, it all begins with the basic styles.

Basta!

It was this continuing failure of almost all the commercial and wannabee sites to continue the ridiculous "...it's all good" bullshit, that led us to establish The Rum Project and to do our fumbling best to educate others to better understand and appreciate real and authentic rum, and to understand how it all came about.

Thankfully the Seldom Heards of this world are seldom seen...
bearmark
Beermeister

Appreciation for the Rum Project

Post by bearmark »

A year ago, I was completely new to rum and I had no idea where to start. I went to the local Goody Goody and got some friendly advice to start with Bacardi. I wasn't even intelligent enough to ask a question like the newbie above, but I started searching. I happened upon this site run by some "compleat idiot" and I'm so glad that I did.

Through this site, I've been enlightened as to regulatory issues, additives without labeling, styles of rums and their associated flavor profiles (even how these profiles are affected by the processes employed) and several recommendations for excellent rum at value prices. I'm certain that I would still be floundering around trying to figure out why each rum is so different.

I have no intention of becoming an expert, but I can tell you that it's been great fun learning how to discern different aromas and flavors. I'm no good at it, but I'm still encouraged to honestly state what I've experienced. That's just great! No condescension... no recommendation to go it alone and be happy with what I find... just a no nonsense guidance to trust your palate and nose and some greatly helpful advice as to what to look for and why. I'm having a blast and enjoying world class rums that are true bargains. I'm even exploring whiskey, tequila, etc.

I feel sorry for this poor guy who posed a great question and basically got blown off in the response. A hearty "yo-ho" to the Cap'n, the elusive Sue Sea (does she really exist or does Jimbo just have an alter ego? :wink:) and others who contribute on this site! I'm glad I'm here!
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

We thank you...

Sue Sea and I both thank you for your kind compliments. And for those who may believe "Sue Sea" is an alter-ego (which in a strange way she is, as are many couples who grow together), here is the elusive one...

. . . . . . .Image
(Sue Sea at the famous Dania Beach, in our south Florida paradise...)

No one should doubt their own palates, which are far more accessible than you think. What most of us lack is confidence and perhaps descriptors. The human nose is capable of detecting - and describing - 1000's of aroma, while the palate is limited to five or six. The problem arises when we read flowery reviews by remote professional reviewers who are writing their note for others who also pretend to know these fanciful and mostly inaccessible descriptors.

It is perfectly accurate if you find something smells like your grandfather's cigar box, your mother's peach cobbler or like vanilla wafers. We long came to believe that descriptors that are more accessible, and that occupy the experiences of many other people are the best way to communicate.

I once re-published three reviews that sounded like three different fine rums. The truth: it was the same rum made inaccessible by the reviewers with their laundry list of descriptors. It was Angostura 1919. It so happens that this rum reminds us - strongly - of Bananas Foster, a dessert with which many of us are familiar. It really does.

Bottom line: please, please don't be so hard on yourself. Anybody can easily learn to trust themselves and can be a far better taster than most of the alpha monkeys out there.

Cheers...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For enquiring minds....

Now that I have revealed Sue Sea, some of you may be wondering just what the Capn looks like. Inasmuch as several faux reviewers now have contracts out on me, I have been resistant to expose myself to identity revealing software, but what the hell...

. . . . . . . Image
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

That's not you Jimbo!

I saw you at the Florida rum competition, I took this vid just as you tasted Zacapa 23

I think you gave it a 10

:D
in goes your eye out
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

da'rum, a 10 for that last post....almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard. A most excellent start to my morning.
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

What John Willy sez, well played, da'rum, well played! :lol:
Dai
Minor God

Re: Expert's Corner: Seldom Heard speaks...

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:What's the "Expert's Corner"?

This is where the commercial and faux commercial wannabees end up. These are just ordinary putzes who just happen to possess ego and time enough to put up a "rum website". They are almost never - well, never actually - qualified as real authorities. What they're really after is to gain attention, to get lots of freebies and/or to promote their rum business. In time, a bunch of monkeys come to regard this webmasterbater as an "expert", and here's the key - this individual now feels obligated to act the part...

...It was this continuing failure of almost all the commercial and wannabee sites to continue the ridiculous "...it's all good" bullshit, that led us to establish The Rum Project and to do our fumbling best to educate others to better understand and appreciate real and authentic rum, and to understand how it all came about.

Thankfully the Seldom Heards of this world are seldom seen...
If it wasn't for masterofmalt.com I would still be stuck wondering. They have some great samples to try. I bought four to start me off and I've been buying one with every bottle of rum I order just to try it and see whether it would be worth ordering a bottle next time.