Bacardi: Quality?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Farocinski
Landlubber

Bacardi: Quality?

Post by Farocinski »

Is it possible that the same Bacardi Superior may be a different product, depending on the country of origin? My dad claims he compared two bottles and they tasted different. I was unwilling to believe it, but I've never had a chance to make such a comparison. Mme Tiare noted a difference between a bottle from the 40s and the stuff they produce today, so either the recipe, or the resources have changed. And I don't mean the context side of the matter, that Mr Burr suggested. Just the product.

Quoting Ian Williams from The Nation:
"Its monopoly power has been used to keep much better, genuinely local Caribbean brands from reaching takeoff. The islands cannot compete with subsidized and tariff protected high fructose corn syrup and Floridian sugar grown by former Cuban barons, so their one chance to market a value-added branded commodity is frustrated by the transglobal black bat."
So the introduction of the HFCS being one. By the way isn't it against the law to produce from any other things than derivatives of sugar cane?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

CFR regulatory Definition of Rum:

Post by Capn Jimbo »

CFR regulatory Definition of Rum:
Class 6; rum. ‘‘Rum’’ is an alcoholic distillate from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses, or other sugar cane by-products, produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma and characteristics generally attributed to rum, and bottled at not less than 80° proof; and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates.
Simply, you are right. "Rum" has to be derived from the fermentation of sugar cane, juice, syrup or molasses for the most part. HFCS doesn't qualify. I believe that when Ian refers to HFCS he is referring the domination of HFCS sweeteners replacing sugar to the extent that less sugar, and therefore less molasses is produced in the Caribbean.

Less sugar production affects rum production. Of course Ian is aware that HFCS is not used to make rum, but certainly affects the raw materials.
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

I was unwilling to believe it, but I've never had a chance to make such a comparison. Mme Tiare noted a difference between a bottle from the 40s and the stuff they produce today,
while not the sharpest toothed shark in the waters, i wonder how you can compare Bacardi from the forties to Bacardi from today.

Wasn't Bacardi originally distilled in Cuba? And now in PR? No way it tasted the same.

We recently started selling a Bacardi heritage version. it is a bottle of Bacardi with an old ass label on it. I doubt it tastes like it did in a pre-Castro Cuba version.

I would sell my soul for a real Cuban rum.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
Farocinski
Landlubber

Post by Farocinski »

Just as I thought, i'm not a native speaker and not a brightest twinkle star, so I didn't quite catch the context. So let's cross out the HFCS.

I am not comparing the bottles from 30s and 40s - I was simpy suggesting that if that was a different product, a fact that is not to be known to the public, than there is no reason to believe that they preserve the quality of the same product nowadays between the factories.
On the two major facebook groups people write about the context (air, mood, etc), which merely is not the case. My good cumprumion pointed out, that it's rather doubtful that if mr Ian tasted two different Superiors and found them different from each other, mr Burr would suggest that he must have been in a smoky room. : )
We're talking three bottles Carta Blancas at one time on the table, all glass, each different country of origin, clean proper glassware, neither animals in the room, nor flowers, testers not perfumed and not after an enormous meal, nobody stepped in a dog's dump.
Farocinski
Landlubber

Post by Farocinski »

One more thing. Isn't the Bacardi Solera dodgy as well? When did they begin preparing for it? Were they making solera batches as family reserves not to be put on the market? I guess it's not solera simply because you take the barrels and blend them together. You know what I mean?
And a fact that prolly is a mistake, why was the Bacardi 8 put under the flavo(u)red rum group on of the official page? : )
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A look at history may help here...

Faro, your question is really a good one. Can a large company maintain quality between different factories? As luck would have it I am reading the 400 page history of the Bacardi family, their amazing growth and their relationship to Cuba.

Let's start with the product:

Before Facundo Bacardi developed what became the new Cuban style of a lighter, smoother more drinkable rum, the rum that was made before was rather harsh in comparison. Facundo's previous businesses had failed due to two things - an epidemic of cholera, and the aftereffects of the revolution which expelled the Spanish. After the family's return to Santiago he found his properties had been looted, and his general stores had no customers. He felt he had to create something new and special.

That turned out to be rum.

He went into partnership with a man with distilling experience, and like Phil Prichard (of Prichard's Fine Rum), they went through a period of great experimentation to discover the secrets the new, finer rum he had in mind. His parter, Bouteillier was a French Cuban who owned a small pot still with which he made perfumes. The two experimented with very small batches - a few jugs at a time, experimenting with various yeast strains, varying levels of sweetness of the ferment, and different distilling methods and extraction of the hearts.

They succeeded and Bacardi, Bouteillier and Compania did produce a notably better, smoother, lighter rum that found great favor. Their reputation and companies grew rapid through the years, as did their commitment to improving quality. Their competitors were in awe and speculated as to what Bacardi's "secret forumla" was. The factors we know about are...

1. Use of quick-fermenting cognac-type yeast (rather than the slower yeasts used by others).

2. Facundo's system of filtration of the "aguardiente" through layers of charcoal (never done before), and last...

3. His particular techniques of aging, using American white oak barrels.

My favorite quote from the book, quoting a Cuban historian as to Bacardi's "secret"
:"...better filtering here, more ageing there, total attention to details, temperature, ventilation, light and shade, the degree of the cane's ripeness and the quality of the molasses, the right choice of wood for the making of the ageing vats and above all the ability to balance all these factors or rather more the ability, the art of using them correctly"
Pay particular attention to that last sentence. Bacardi was fanatical about secrecy, attention to detail, but even then to the art of using the tools and techniques in an effective and successful fashion. That he was also a great marketer - perhaps the first to use labels, and even to sign each one was the beginning of effective marketing and sales.

Bacardi had it all: science, experimentation, commitment, artistry and promotion - all of it - and all created a company without equal in those times, and that would grow and grow.

A long story but here's the bullets...

1. Bacardi was fanatical about quality and consistency. One of the familiy's greatest fears was rum made in different distilleries in different locations would be different.

2. Accordingly Bacardi went to great lengths to insure that the product was as consistent as humanly possible. The controlled every aspect of production, including the employees (who were shared between facilities) to do so. They took multiple samples during and after production, from every barrel, and had them all analyzed constantly in their laboratories. Their tasters and evaluators were and are incredibly talented and evaluated not only the components and physical characteristics, but the feel and taste profiles.

Thus, if there was ever a company who produced a consistent product it was and is Bacardi.

Now let's speak for the Cubans

When Fidel Castro took over the Bacardi operations, it devastated the family, whose commitment to Cuba was unwavering. Even though they had foreseen this, and had already expanded and moved their operations to Puerto Rico, the idea of leaving Cuba was intolerable.

Meanwhile the new Cuban government took a communist approach and deposed many in key positions, though they attempted to retain the few who they believed knew the business. Far worse than the rums by regulation of the AOC cane juice rums in Martinique, the Cubans broke down every single step, every single move, every single material into a literal library of precise instructions for absolutely everything.

Remember the Cuban historian who was not only in awe of Bacardi's many techniques, but the expertise and ability to use them artistically and in balanced harmony to create a spirit of quality, consistency and artistry. That was lost when the government took over. They saw making rum as a process much like building a car: you make the parts and you put them together in a specified way and voila! A car as a series of component steps.

They felt that no particular expertise was needed, indeed might hurt the process of assembly. A quote...
"The technical norms to be followed in washing corks and gluing labels were described in almost as much detail as were the guidlines for aging the aguardiente or filtering the base rums with as little as possible left to human judgment.

The idea of judging a rum blend by its smell or feel on one's hands, as done by Daniel Bacardi or Mariano Lavigne, gave way to the procedure specified in the handbook.

Bottom Line:

1. Does this mean that Bacardi's commitment to quality has endured? I say probably - and for two reasons: first, their history and second that fact that the business remains a family business through several generations.

2. Would I "sell my soul" for a "real Cuban rum"? Before I read this book, perhaps. And now? Nope. A rum without art or heart isn't really rum. I'd have to say the real Cuban rum belonged to Bacardi.

As for cigars....
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farocinski
Landlubber

Post by Farocinski »

Well that definitely wasn't an sms! :wink:
I'm evenly lucky, Gjelten's waiting for me and the long winter days in the Whisky House. Even though they pay mad attention to the tradition, I'm not sure if every batch is controllable with such an enormous production. Unless parallelly to the human control, they use an automatised computer system, just like Jack Daniel's does, as Jeff Arnett once told us.
Capn Jimbo

Probably means probably. Probably, lol...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Probably means probably. Probably, lol...

It's important to never say never, but if any company is going to maintain consistency, I'd put my money on the Bacardi family - which does not mean I'm a big fan of their rum, because we aren't. Their best (other than special edition releases) is the 8 year, and it is barely average.

Other than the factors of the family history of commitment to detail and quality, and the continued contol by this very private family means continuity of control. Another factor too is the immensity of the output by very large and modern column stills. Compare to operations that use pot stills, natural (open fermentation by wild yeast), and who do not control their raw materials.

In these smaller operations the likelihood for error is much higher.

Another factor is the type of spirit produced. Bacardi does not pretend to make long aged, pot stilled and relatively expensive sipping rums. These are more custom made and vary by batch. Also you have the factor of ownership and control by the conglomerates. Think Zacapa. A Diageo comes in and changes the blend to save old reserves, and thus the more astute tasters will begin to note changes in the product.

This allows the preservation of dwindling reserves, and their reallocation to new, premium and more expensive releases. Bacardi, with their low priced, young rums does not have this problem, nor do they need to preserve anything.

In sum, I'd bet my underwear on their consistency. But then again, anything is possible...