Request from Dai: A list of unaltered rums...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Request from Dai: A list of unaltered rums...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Per Dai...

"Like I've said before we need a list of rum that has no additives so that we can make an informed decision."
Thanks Dai. Truth be told these relatively pure rums can be found hidden all over this forum. There even may have been a thread or two where a few were listed. But it's an excellent idea to bring all these together in one post, which can then become a sticky.

Who's on first, lol...
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

We can start the list with this one.

I'm pretty sure the Clement Single Cask is an unaltered Rum. It seems to be pretty much a straight barrel dump at barrel proof. Unfortunately it's not imported to the US.

Short of a barrel dump I have come to distrust everything Rum producers say so much it's going to be hard to believe that a bottling is unaltered.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Are we starting the list in this thread?

Capn's Log: Yes, indeed.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Here's an easy one or three...

Anything by Richard Seale, especially Seale's Ten, Doorly's (5 year and XO), Old Brigand, Barbados Special, St. Nicolas Abbey, Tommy Bahama. Anything he distills is pure, and he bottles it to make sure.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

How about Prichard's?

Capn's Log: Absolutely.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://www.roaringforties.co.nz/
This is one I posted in another thread

Possibly another all natural rum:
http://wilddaysrum.co.nz/index.html

http://www.koloarum.com/aloha.htm
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Certainly possible...

Roaring Forties:
"All Roaring Forties Products are made from 100% cane or grain, and have no preservatives, chemicals or artificial flavours added.
Absolutely no whey alcohol is used in the production of any of our spirits. Our methods are all of a traditional nature, which produce a high quality spirit, fit for the "Roaring Forties" label.

All aged products are stored in oak casks for flavour and maturation. "
Age not specified, but a clear statement of purity. I'd love to try this one, especially as it was made by da'rums buddies. Perhaps he's had a taste?

Koloa:

Koloa cites only double pot stilling (standard pot still procedure), but no mention re additives or not, nor of aging. Turkey shoot.

Wild Days:
"The molasses is fermented for 2 - 3 months, slowly converting the natural sugars in the molasses into alcohol. "This wash is then distilled, first in a pot still to keep the natural flavours of the brew, then reflux distilled to produce a high purity alcohol at approximately 90 per cent alcohol. The alcohol is immersed in activated charcoal, then filtered through heavier charcoal. Finally the finished product is put in French Oak barrels to age.

Our rum sits and waits in a temperature controlled environment, slowly getting better. When it is ready for bottling, we add oak chips to every bottle, to have the aging process continue right through till you open the bottle."
This sounds quite experimental. Oak chips is a daring move, and runs the risk of over-oaking (but remains to be seen). The fermentation is amazingly long, which adds many flavors, but which are partially removed by the distillation (to 90%) and moreso by the double charcoal filtering. Additives are neither confirmed nor denied, and the actual age (or type of oak) is not identified. A turkey shoot.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And another...

Pussers, of course, all.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Quote:
"The molasses is fermented for 2 - 3 months, slowly converting the natural sugars in the molasses into alcohol. "This wash is then distilled, first in a pot still to keep the natural flavours of the brew, then reflux distilled to produce a high purity alcohol at approximately 90 per cent alcohol. The alcohol is immersed in activated charcoal, then filtered through heavier charcoal. Finally the finished product is put in French Oak barrels to age.

Our rum sits and waits in a temperature controlled environment, slowly getting better. When it is ready for bottling, we add oak chips to every bottle, to have the aging process continue right through till you open the bottle."
Interesting. There are no Oak chips in my bottle and judging just by the over the top flavors I would have guessed it had added molasses and vanilla. I wonder if they have changed something in the last year.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Also 90 percent is pretty much a tasteless spirit and could be called Vodka. So in my estimation that makes this juice pretty much Rum flavored Vodka.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Capn Jimbo wrote:And another...

Pussers, of course, all.
Pusser's is altered maybe not with flavour but definitely with caramel. It's my belief in two stages.

Firstly, (and probably the most liberally sugared) the rum portion from DDL.
Secondly, Pusser's blenders (at Jim Beam?) add caramel to unify the colour of the product. This was written to me by Pusser's themselves.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

As far as caramel goes...

da'rum is right re Pussers, and JaRiMi might add that the Eldo part may indeed be adding more than just caramel these days. OTOH, Pussers may be ordering their own run to their own specs. Personally, I'm willing to accept true E-150a for minor shade adjustment, but I'm not willing for dark caramels used for both coloring AND flavor.,

With none of the above: add Scarlet Ibis.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Braasch- a rum verschnitt but probably mislabelled as it is not really a verschnitt its a bulk Jamaican rum watered and bottled in Northern Germany. It is only rum and water nothing else.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good eyes, da'rum, thanks...

Sea Wynde. Barbancourt 3 Star, 5 Star and Estate du Domaine (15).
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

The List So Far;

Sea Wynde
Barbancourt 3 Star, 5 Star and Estate du Domaine (15)
Braasch
Koloa - I'll need more convincing on this one. Going by the bottle I have, it is the blackest Rum I have ever seen. There is no way it isn't at least colored. The Molasses flavor is so strong it must be added post. Sent an email requesting answers, lets see if they get back.
Pussers
Roaring Fortie's
Prichards
Wild Days
Seale's Ten
Doorly's (5 year and XO)
Old Brigand
Barbados Special
Tommy Bahama
Clement Single Cask