Help Dept: ID interesting Cuban rum...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Help Dept: ID interesting Cuban rum...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A reader recently wrote and needs your help...

I just received a fascinating email from a gentleman whose father liberated a unique bottle of Cuban rum...

Here's the story, per our reader...
"Capn Jimbo,

Maybe you can help? Father passed away and left me a bottle of rum from Cuba. Story goes that during liberty in Havana prior to WWII, shipmates dared him to steal the bottle from a display case in a fancy hotel lobby. Obviously he did.

The bottle is wrapped in gold leaf and notes that it was distilled by Berman Liquor Co. Inc., Habana Cuba. The brand is “Old Tranquility Brand Superior Rum.”

Would you happen to know anything about this brand and distiller? Should I just crack the top and go for it…Ha? Any info would be much appreciated."

I simply love this stuff, so...

I embarked upon yet another orgasm of research. And what did I find? First, this postcard:

Image and...

(Credit: http://Cardcow.com Lots of neat old stuff!)

And from a Spanish source I learned that the Berman Liquor Co. was founded in 1930 in Havana...
"Berman Liquor Co. Inc. Importer-Exporter Kosher liquor in Obrapía between San Ignacio and Merchants , and Diva and Industries Tarzan (factory belts and wallets of Elias Gurian) in Wall between Villegas y Aguacate..."
The article from which this was derived told of three different waves of Jewish immigrants into Cuba for a variety of reasons (one being the American immigrations policy). Many became involved in political and revolutionary activities. Now remember that our reader's father liberated this bottle prior to WWII (but doesn't say how long before).

It is well to keep in mind that Prohibition led to a huge number of American visitors who took the 60 mile trip from Key West to Cuba to drink and make merry. To me the English label (and postcards) imply that Berman's solicited this American trade in of course, Havanna. The card also makes clear that the Berman Co. was both the distillery and bottler selling cordials, brandy, slivovitz, and straight bourbon and "Cuban rum" (these two being "aged in oak for many years".

An interesting find. The reader wants to know if this rum has any value, and whether to drink it. What say you?

More stuff you simply won't find anywhere else, eh?