Pre-Review: Fighting Cock Bourbon

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Pre-Review: Fighting Cock Bourbon

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A good value...

Based on a recent question by Hass, I was caused to consult with Chuck Cowdery's book "Bourbon Straight". When it comes to American whisky and cooperage, Cowdery is an outspoken and valued critic and reviewer of both. As I was waiting for my dentist to punish me severely, I tried to divert my mind to more pleasant things and came across Cowdery's review of Fighting Cock.

Almost predictably he made note of the marketing boyz efforts in the naming, but like all truly honest reviewers he made clear he was interested in the bourbon, not the name. He noted that this "bad boy" of bourgon is aged a good 6 years, and delivered at a serious 103 proof. As he put it it's bright light amber was "not as dark" as he'd expected (Hass, are you reading this?). He noted that FC benefits from some airing (and in our case, a Ralfy-like couple teaspoons of water). He described a surprisingly uncocklike "ice cream quality" along with "other subtle aromas and flavors", thanks to the aforesaid breathing. He describes "tangerine" and "ginger", like "eating cotton candy while smoking a Winston (ciagrette)... sweetness and char".

In our pre-taste taste, Sue Sea and I would concur. It's really lovely how a corn and rye mash bill work to create balance and if well done a notable harmony. We both noted the usual and wondeful vanillan aroma (and taste) characteistic of bourbon's charred new oak. This is balanced by the rye's spiciness. Fighting Cock opens the palate with corn sweetness, reflects the vanillan (thus producing Cowdery's "ice cream"), It is particularly lovely and persists through the growing rye spiciness and pleasant burn.

As time has passed, Sue Sea and I have come more and more to go beyond simply noting aromas and flavors but far more importantly how and whether they work together - not simply balanced but harmonious. THAT is a worthy achievement. And the Cock has done that.

Best of all: Fighting Cock cost this poor couple a mere $17 at Total W&S. Tasted: one ounce with Ralfy's two teaspoons of water, based on the proof. Perfect.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

More Cock measuring: Fighting Cock Revisited...

...by Heaven Hill at 103 proof, 6 years and about $17. It's reputedly 77% corn, 13% rye, 10% barley. With those facts in mind, at least to us this has been a bourbon that was hard to leave on the shelf. I've come to respect Heaven Hill for their wonderful 100 proof, 4 year, bottled-in-bond Straight Corn Whiskey, and just today returned to our almost untouched Cock.

Read the reviews, ignore the price or proof biased quips, and you'll find a great deal of respect for a bourbon that first sold for closer to $14, but which demand priced up to $20 or even a bit more. It needs airing (the more the better) and/or a few drops of water to really appreciate all that's in there, but if you have the patience (think 20 minutes), you may be pleasantly surprised.

Today we micro-drammed - sloooowly - at full strength.

We are NOT bourbon experts, but we continue to like this one. I should add that those who have yet to buy a bottle of Mellow Corn and Bulleit Rye must do so now, as tasting the components of bourbon will greatly appreciate your understanding of it.

Still nice stuff, and still not reviewed...