Getting Started: Whiskies for Rum Drinkers

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Getting Started: Whiskies for Rum Drinkers

Post by Capn Jimbo »

So much spirit, so little time...

First of all, let it be known that we shall explore whisky-as-it-relates-to-rum together. And apart. The first step - at least at this millisecond - would seem to be one of these two:

1. First, determine a beginning collection of whiskys that begin to define the four or five styles, or...

2. First, try a whisky that will (a) remind you of rum and (b) give you an incredible woody.

Since I love woodies - and so does Sue Sea - I heartily recommend the second path for the first step. That is to say the first step is number two - or - the second is the first step. Is that entirely clear?

Of course.

Having already tried the first-first step (trying to identify the different styles) I searched high and low for less expensive whiskys of the different styles (Highland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay and maybe, Cambeltown). I discovered a line of whiskies called McClelland - most around $20, all without age statements, and all clearly stating their style and geographic origin (above)

Great I thought! I also found a bottle of Bowmore Islay Legend.

It turned out this was not necessarily such a great idea. These (very) low priced whiskies - however competent and drinkable - are certainly not the better regarded examples of the genre.

Bad idea.

That being said, this is not our purpose here,which is a comparison to the better, truly pure rums.

Finally I bit the bullet and visited my local whisky dispensary and asked for his very best price on a "name" whisky of a good age, and with good reviews. He pointed me toward the single malt section and said "The Glenfiddich 15 Year is exactly what you're looking for and it's on sale now - $33. You'll love it!".

I quickly paid and left the store, thankful that I'd escaped having to pay the $60 or $80 that many single malts command. I should also add that single malts usually come in lovely and classic packaging and bottles that are guaranteed to impress any visitor to your home. The Glenfiddich 15 especially has a lovely triangular bottle. I couldn't wait to crack the foil and pour two drams - one for me, and one for a real whisky hater, my dear Sue Sea. We both were shocked.

The 15 Year was simply lovely - fruity, smooth, light, touch of peat (smoke), touch of spicy ginger, et al. Even whisky-hater Sue Sea had to admit she really liked it. And that, my friend, is saying something!

In sum, more than a fair comparison to a fine pure rum, say Sue Sea's Pusser's Blue Label or my own Mount Gay Extra Old. Best yet, you can be confident that what you'll experience is the pure product of a meticulous process.

Bottom line:

Glenfiddich 15 Year is an excellent and delicious first step in your whisky- as-it-relates-to-rum - exploration. Other choices might be a Glenlivet 12 Year (less expensive), or the Balvenie Doublewood (more expensive) but I'm gonna stick with the Glenfiddich 15 Year.

You won't be sorry...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A few more choices...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A few more choices...

After tasting a few more single malts - most surprisingly economical - let me add a few more that experience rum drinkers might appreciate:

Cragganmore 12 Year: fragrant, lighter, complex, sophisticated
Dalmore 12 Year: fruity, orange marmalade, warm
Jon, Mark and Robbo's: "The Smooth Sweeter One" (vanillan), or "The Rich Spicy One" (orange, dried fruits, spices).

JM&R's blends are respected and economical. It's important to note that the others are single malts. All are free of rogue rum's unadmitted additives and flavoring.

Except for the Cragganmore, all of the single malts mentioned here, and in the OP were obtained in the mid-$30's. The Dalmore was on sale for $25, and the JM&R's were found in the low $20's. Trust me, these are extemely low prices for single malts, which commonly run much, much more.
Stefan
Greaser

A few suggestions

Post by Stefan »

I like Highland Park 12 year old. It's reasonably priced in Europe and is one of the best whiskies I've tried, together with the different Glenfiddichs. For a blend I would recommend Famous Grouse.

I much prefer the milder, smoother varieties. I got Laphroig 10yo and some others like it at home but it's not really my cup of tea. I am not a "real" whisky drinker though, always preferred cognac, but sometimes a whisky can be nice. So take my recommendations for what they are, I'm just a happy amateur!
bearmark
Beermeister

The Whisky Advent Calendar

Post by bearmark »

A (very generous) friend at work gave me The Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt. I'm new to the world of malt whisky, so this will be my crash course into the different regions (Highland, Speyside, Islay, etc.). This collection includes some blends, international whiskys and a few grain whiskys (including one bourbon). On the 24th, the dram of the day is a 50 Year Old Single Malt! If you're interested in following my tastings, then you can do so here.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

If you should fancy trying some Bourbon and you are typically a Rum drinker in love with "smooth and sweet" consider these.

Here is a tip - sip it. Smaller sips to start than Rum and hold your breath during the first few sips. It will acclimate your palate and let you taste the flavors rather than be intimidated by any heat.

Even Rums that people here describe as major league big and bold (Pussers, Smith and Cross) are middle of the roaders compared to a good Bourbon.

These are inexpensive easy drinkers, soft, sweet and more complex than most Rums, have fun.
Weller 12yr.
Elmer T. Lee
Basil Hayden
Corner Creek
J.W. Dant
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

sailor22 wrote:If you should fancy trying some Bourbon and you are typically a Rum drinker in love with "smooth and sweet" consider these.

Here is a tip - sip it. Smaller sips to start than Rum and hold your breath during the first few sips. It will acclimate your palate and let you taste the flavors rather than be intimidated by any heat.

Even Rums that people here describe as major league big and bold (Pussers, Smith and Cross) are middle of the roaders compared to a good Bourbon.

These are inexpensive easy drinkers, soft, sweet and more complex than most Rums, have fun.
Weller 12yr.
Elmer T. Lee
Basil Hayden
Corner Creek

J.W. Dant
I've read good things about the Weller.
As a rum drinker are there any whiskies that taste similar to rum and what whiskies would they be. I shall be going on holiday in June and at the airport duty free the only rum available is Bacardi 8 but plenty of Whisky and Bourbon like:

Gentleman Jack
Woodford Rerserve
Jack Daniel's
Silver Select

Any advice as a rum drinker of which of these to go for that would be nearest tasting to rum. I haven't drunk whisky in years and never drunk bourbon.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

None of those have much in common with Rum. Several are poured through a column of sugar maple charcoal to add sweetness and supposedly smoothness.

I noticed the Rums you list as favorites are light on entry and of the list you provided Woodford might be the lightest entry but also some pot still notes.

You will probably find some Makers Mark at most airport bars and even in some duty free. It's soft and sweet and should be very approachable if you start with very small sips.

There are others to be sure, but the primary flavor that Bourbon shares with Rum is vanilla. It will be much subtler in the Bourbon because it all comes from the barrel. In fact most the used barrels sold to Rum producers are almost depleted of their Vanillin flavors which begs the question where all that over the top vanilla comes from in so many Rums.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

sailor22 wrote:None of those have much in common with Rum. Several are poured through a column of sugar maple charcoal to add sweetness and supposedly smoothness.

I noticed the Rums you list as favorites are light on entry and of the list you provided Woodford might be the lightest entry but also some pot still notes.

You will probably find some Makers Mark at most airport bars and even in some duty free. It's soft and sweet and should be very approachable if you start with very small sips.

There are others to be sure, but the primary flavor that Bourbon shares with Rum is vanilla. It will be much subtler in the Bourbon because it all comes from the barrel. In fact most the used barrels sold to Rum producers are almost depleted of their Vanillin flavors which begs the question where all that over the top vanilla comes from in so many Rums.
Is Makers Mark part of the big three?
If so might as well just buy the Bacardi 8. I might end up doing that anyway as there is no other alternative rum in duty free. Goes against what I've said on boycotting the big three but when needs must.

sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Makers is owned by Jim Beam, I'm not sure how much control Beam exercises over production.

It's a good bet Beam is owned one of the big internationals. Aside from craft distillers and Heaven Hill which is still privately owned the megainternatspirits companies own most of the distilleries. Often the production isn't modified much by them. Marketing and distribution are their forte's.
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

Angel's Envy has recently come out with a Rye (95%) at 50 abv that according to their literature is finished for as long as 18 months in 'Franco Caribbean' rum casks/barrels that had previously been used to age cognac. So first French cognac (how long?), then rum (what rum and how long?), and finally up to 18 months holding this rye.

Let me back up a bit and say first, opinions of regular Angel's Envy Bourbon seem to be 'black or white'. People seem to like it or not like it....not a whole lot in between. I've tried it and enjoy it and have a bottle. Second, I picked up 2 bottles of the Rye (I like rye) at closer to the standard MSRP higher price. Since then I have seen it once for the mid $40s. Can't remember the site. I have not tasted it yet.

Again I see a lot of opinions slamming it for tasting too much of rum. Some suggesting they just take their bourbon/whiskey/rye and dump some rum in the bottle. Hey, whatever charges your woody.

Just a guess, but might just be the most rum-like American whiskey out there. Limited production so might only be available in US. Maybe some airport duty-frees?

For those concerned Angel's Envy is owned by Louisville Distilling Company. They claim to be family owned. On the surface it doesn't seem to be one of the multi-nationals, but what do I know.

Just an aside that has nothing to do with the quality of the product, their bottles are beautiful and unique.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I'm on my second bottle of Angel's Envy Bourbon and it's good stuff. It's not like a typical bourbon and that's what interesting about it. Lincoln Henderson finishes bourbon in port barrels and makes something unique that I think works very well. In fact, this is the first whiskey that I'll recommend to a Scotch drinker that's new to American whiskey.

While the bourbon is generally well received and even heralded (96 points from WE), the reviews of his rye hasn't been so great. I have read that the rum finishing is a bit overpowering in most of the reviews and just doesn't complement the rye. Rum doesn't sound like an obvious choice for the spiciness of rye, but Lincoln Henderson obviously disagrees. I've got a backlog of rye (Thomas H. Handy, Whistlepig, Willet, High West Rendezvous, etc.) so I'm not ready to add another to the list just yet, but I may give this one a try someday.

PS - If you want to try a rum finished Scotch, then Balvenie has a 14 Year Caribbean Cask finished single malt you might want to try.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

If you're looking for a light bourbon that has rum-like qualities you might enjoy Blanton's (especially the Gold which you can get in the UK, Dai), and, less expensively, Elmer T Lee or Rock Hill Farms.

In my opinion, Woodford Reserve is still finding its way. There's potential, though - watch that space, they're steadily improving.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The Black Tot wrote:If you're looking for a light bourbon that has rum-like qualities you might enjoy Blanton's (especially the Gold which you can get in the UK, Dai), and, less expensively, Elmer T Lee or Rock Hill Farms.

In my opinion, Woodford Reserve is still finding its way. There's potential, though - watch that space, they're steadily improving.
I'll check them out. I was sitting on the fence over Jefferson's in Aldi waiting for them to knock a fiver off when all of a sudden the stock they had disappeared, lost out again. Never ming there is alway's next year.