Cultural Styles: do they exist?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Cultural Styles: do they exist?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To me, yes...

...so here's my take. In another thread da'rum observed "I'm not convinced of a national style per se, I would agree that cultural flair finds it's way into some pipe makers personal style though." OTOH, in all the searching I did to find and buy some good used pipes on the net - like the Savinelli 3621 bent, Falcon, Fiammata, Greek Pipex, a Big Ben and a Stanwell - plus admiring some of the amazing Danish freeforms, I started to become aware of what appeared to me to be "styles" for each country.

I described the English as classicly autere, the Italian as a bit "racy", and the Danish as "pointed flights of fancy". Actually I think da'rum and Moi are both right to the extent that although it's clear that individual artisans may more or less exhibit such a style (da'rum), that there is indeed a "style" to be expressed (Moi).

Let's start with the English

Quoting Pipedia:
"English pipes reflect British culture to a great degree, perhaps best articulated by traditional, refined elegance... One need only look at Dunhills, GBDs, Barlings, Comoys and other great English pipes from the 1950s and before to see this."
Some examples:

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

It's clear that these Dunhills represent the essence of the English style - staid, symmetrical, understated and dark. The briar is well chosen and with good grain, but that's not what you see. The English pipes reek of classicism and quiet strength.

Next up, the Italians
Quoting Pipedia:
"The Pesaro School is most traditionally neoclassical. Essentially, that means that they took classic English shapes-- Billiards, Dublins, Bulldogs etc-- and recreated them in new and interesting ways. Shapes are in many cases determined by the grain...

Pesaro school pipes, both as a further explanation of their 'Italian-ness' and as an adjunct to it, also have an architectural flair that focuses on clean lines and holistically and cohesively designed shapes."
Some examples:

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

There is no doubt the Italian style represents a sophisticated yet smooth alteration from the classic English. For example, the Italian bowls tend to be just a bit less symmetrical, with a slight forward slant, same for the lips. The stems too are less symmetrical and show a slight graceful overall curve, or even more subtly, a slight curve in the top edge of the stem.

The Italian style takes more note of the grain, color and the artistic use of it. Racy yet still sophisticated, like a good Italian suit.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

I needn't both illustrating the Danish style, as all of us surely are aware of it, and of all the freehands that have no doubt been inspired by the Danes. And the English style seems equally clear with all the standard shapes being presented as above.

The Italians demonstrate both da'rum's and my own view. Certainly the light colored Italian shows a clear artisanal representation of the Italian style (per da'rum), while the darker Italian below is by Savinelli, who is not known for deviating much from the standards - even though this dark Savinelli billiard still shows subtle Italian influence in it's slightly canted bowl, and a stem featuring just a hint of a top side curve (Moi).

Stay tuned for more styles and discussion...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ha! I knew when I made that statement that I should expect an essay in reply.

I'll concede there are some national styles, namely English (standard) and Danish and probably cultural influences on others as well.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Achtung! A look at the Germans...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

Germany is said to be second only to Denmark in pipe smokers per capita. To me I've always thought of Germany in terms of car with a sense of form is function, precision and reliability (think the old VW Beetle or older Porches). But the modern German pipes seem rather different. The older German pipes will have to wait but for now check out the links for some modern German presentations...

It looks like the staid Germans can give the Danes a real run for their money. Mind you, the links are to da'rum's artisans, but I would observe a few early impressions: shortness, swoopiness, reverse curve shanks, some use of bamboo, absence of silver or other distractions on the highly designed stems. But then again, there's Design Berlin.

Some German pipemakers:
http://www.german-pipemakers.de/deutsch ... te_eng.htm

Design Berlin

Many are aware of Design Berlin who it must be said, seem to break all the rules, with flights of absolute fancy, yet somehow inferring German precision and keen attention to detail...
http://www.pfeifen-db.de/page/images/pd ... atalog.pdf

Their "Pipes of the Year" editions are especially illustrative:
http://www.pfeifen-db.de/page/index.php ... en-2014-en

. . . . . . .Image

A bit off topic here, but it is clear the Danes have had a great influence on these German pipemakers. An excellent short illustrated history of the Danish schools and their sculptural approach is here):
http://www.pipendoge.de/Pipe_History.htm

To be fair, the more I delve into this notion of "styles", the better da'rum's position is becoming, ie the influence of artisans, at least insofar as those who became so well regarded that you find references of "schools" of pipemakers reflecting their seminal styles and philosophies.

Yet then again I ran across a good article from P&T about famous French artisan David Enrique and his formative career beginning in Saint Claude. a French community of a school of pipemakers. Enrique then leaves to work and study under German artisans where he states:
"... it was with Heiner that I learned a lot about Scandinavian- and German-style shaping and, even more important, about the way of turning an Ebonite rod into one of those remarkably comfortable German stems."
http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/201 ... -maverick/

Although this doesn't clearly identify a German style, it DOES identify "German-style shaping", and the use of hand-carved Ebonite, which may be the same thing. Or it may not, lol...

Consider me a Compleatly Confused Idiot...

http://www.derpfeifenmacher.de/tinc?key ... ,5,800,740
http://www.wolfgang-becker-pfeifen.de/
http://www.hn-pipes.de/html/smooth_pipes.html
http://www.reichert-pipes.de/archiv.htm
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Are you sitting down? Do you have a bowl full? Great, proceed...

I stumbled across this reproduced article which may settle this matter:
Credit: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ww-ii-pipes

Written for and published by The Pipe Collector Feb. 2007.

Pipes Tobacco and Culture.
British Pipes. Part 1:

"When we think about schools or perhaps I should say styles of pipe making we tend to group them into three, Classic English, Italian and Danish, with the Germans lumped in with the Danish. In reality there are more, we can add American and Japanese, so we have 5 styles. The question I ask is why and how did such distinctive stylistic approaches come about. A pipe is basically a utilitarian object made from dead wood with two holes to smoke dried leaves in it. Yet, a pipe is far more. It can be a friend, an object of beauty even a status symbol. And most seasoned pipe smokers develop a preference for certain shapes and/or styles.

So to try and understand how the different schools developed I thought the answer lies in the culture of the society it grew out of. Pipes are no more removed from cultural influences than clothing or furnishings.
We know that briar pipe making started in France, mainly around St. Claude, yet the 1st recognizable style was the English briar pipe. Initially the British pipe shops imported pipes from France. We cannot be sure what the exact shapes were. But we know they were small as tobacco was expensive and still is in Europe. We can surmise that shapes were initially derived from the clays. There were straights and it is easy to see how the briar Woodstock and Dublin shapes evolved from the canted clay. The full bent probably evolved from the carved European Walnut wood pipes etc., as there were no full bent clays that I am aware off.

The 1st major step in the manufacture of British pipes was the arrival in London of Henri Comoy, (1850-1924), with some workers from St. Claude. He founded the H. Comoy & Co. Ltd. This was the time when the British Empire reigned supreme and one quarter of the earth’s surface was pink on world maps. It was the time when the idea of the British gentlemen was the worldwide epitome of class. So these new British made pipes had an instant home market.

All classes smoked pipes in pre WWI U.K. The working class mainly smoked the clays and the elaborately carved meerschaums were favored by the upper classes in Continental Europe. Both had no appeal to the style setting English gentlemen. The clay was too mundane with no class, and in no way could be considered an article of quality. The Meerschaum was much too gaudy, ostentatious and European.

The quality pipe makers who set the style and developed what we know call the classic English shapes, Billiard, Dublin, Canadian, bent, etc. earned their living by catering to the carriage trade; the upper classes, merchants, officers and the rapidly growing middle class.

The ideal of the carriage trade was the British gentleman. He was always polite to everybody, discrete in his behavior, and well dressed in a conservative manner. Gentlemen did not engage in trade and either went into the army, the government or did something in the City. The gentlemen of good taste demanded extremely well made goods that were understated. His city suit would be a bespoke three-piece discreet pinstripe and his casual suit was grey flannel and both were perfectly cut to bring out the best of his physic. His suits, coats, (jackets) had hand rolled labels, buttonholes on the sleeve that undid, a small outside pocket on the right side for bus/tube tickets etc. and still do. Nothing was there for purely ornamental reasons. His only splash of color was his tie, probably his school and his pocket puff. His pipes should be the same. Extremely well made, discrete with none of that European ostentation. The exception was an allowable sterling silver band on the pipe. No initials etc. on the band. Gentlemen didn’t monogram their clothes, so why would he do so on his pipe. A gentleman knows who he is and what his initials are.

He wore a dark suite when in the city and in the country wore a checked coat (jacket) with odd trousers. His pipe had to reflect the same style. It was not to stand out and should easily fit in his coat pocket. So pipes were generally smaller, 5 1/2” was the normal length for a straight pipe. The pipe should fit into a breast pocket unobtrusively. Also, tobacco was expensive in England. Whether the cost of tobacco really affected the pipe sizes is debatable because Dunhills, Charatan, Barlings, Comoys etc. were not being bought by the average working man. An average premium pipe was 2 shillings; a Dunhill was 5 shillings 6 pence. When you consider that a good wage was 29/s (shillings a week), 10% of your income for an average pipe and double that for a Dunhill a quality pipe was a lot of money. Most working people in England spent 40%+ of their wages on rent and food was also expensive, so a quality pipe was way beyond their means.

A full bent was for evenings at home, in his club or weekends in the country. At home a gentlemen wore a smoking jacket. Often in padded red silk or velvet with black sateen collar facings. He also had a small portable smoking table that held an ashtray, tamper, cleaners, some tobacco and place for his favorite beverage. To be put beside his favorite chair. Some smokers at home also wore a Fez as a smoking hat. This was an age of great style.

Interestingly, the full bent became acceptable because of WWI. Pre-WWI the only people who smoked full bents were manual workers, because they needed their hands free. So the last thing a gentlemen would smoke was a full bent. In WWI, to be an officer in the British navy was to escape the carnage of the trenches, but you needed your hands free, to plot course, take readings etc. so the full bent was the only practical pipe to smoke on a British warship. After the war the full bent was no longer regarded as strictly a working class shape, but considered a navy shape. So it was acceptable for a gentlemen to smoke one. The whole of the premium pipe trade in England was selling to the carriage trade, whose ideal was the English gentlemen.

Pipes came in three finishes, dark smooth, bruyere, or black rough surface, later sandblast. Dunhills were only available in Bruyere until 1917. A small acceptable concession to a bit of ostentation was a small silver band on a pipe.

Pre-WWI, a suit was a long black coat, a grey waistcoat and dark gray striped pants, a winged collared white shirt with a black tie. It wasn’t until WWI that the modern suit, with its short coat (jacket) came about. Even then it was only considered acceptable to wear a black, navy blue or dark gray suit in the city, brown was strictly for the country or Sunday brunch, but the colored tie was now acceptable, generally in your school or regimental colours.

During and just after WWI, Dunhill gave away to British officers, thousands of pipes. It was a great way to build a loyal clientele for its tobaccos and expensive pipes, and it worked. Dunhill was considered the best of the best. The Prince of Wales smoked a Dunhill, not a Comoys or Charatan.

As the Jazz age came into being after WWI, pipes got bigger. Group 5 and larger pipes were now acceptable, even if still rather rare but they were still discrete objects. Black in rough, now mostly sandblast, and bruyere. Grain was not considered desirable. A quality smooth pipe was one without fills, putty or imperfections in the wood, (sandpits).

The British pipe was an integral part of the style of the English gentleman and would be gentlemen. It was small, unobtrusive, and was part of the ethos of a being a gentleman. Like his clothes, watches, (a gentleman had to have three, one for everyday, one for evening wear and one for the country), it drew no attention to itself, but was the best there was. Or at the very least the best he could afford. From the 1890’s till WWII the mark, “Made in England”, was a guarantee of quality. Not just in pipes, but in cutlery, china, silverwork, men’s clothing, etc. Think Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Bristol, Sheffield cutlery, Wedgwood China, John Lobb shoes, many of these firms are still considered producers of the best quality goods anywhere.

But quality was not just that the article was extremely well made it also had to have style. By style in pipes, it had to have for a given shape the right proportion. A golden mean between length, height, and outside diameter. Consider the classic Dunhill LB billiard. A variation on the classic billiard but in perfect taste. Below is a Dunhill LB and a Charatan version of the same. Similar they are yet not the same, infinite variations on a theme. Below are a Dunhill, Charatan and modern Ferndown British made billiard.

Each is different yet there is no way any of them could be mistake for an Italian or Danish billiard. There is something indubitably British about them.

The tobaccos that smoked were very full bodied and English or Oriental blends were favoured. In a climate that is normally rainy, damp and most houses did not have central heating, full tobaccos are what you want. The carriage trade had elaborate evening meals. They started with soup, then a fish course, then a meat course with vegetables, each with its own wine, then a sweet, and then finished with cheeses and port. After a large meal like that, a smoker needed a full-bodied smoke with a strong whiskey or brandy (almost always with soda) to help digest the meal. A pure Virginia with its natural sweetness would be the last thing you would want after a large evening meal. In keeping with this age of style men after dinner retired to a smoking room to enjoy cigars and/or pipes with their Port or brandy. This changed rapidly during the 20’s, as it was now acceptable for women to smoke in public, cigarettes only, of course, preferably in a long elegant holder, as this was an age of style.

There is no doubt climate influences esthetics. The paintings of Turner show the heavy polluted skies of London. The rain was very acidic because of the pollution so if you want to smoke outside, a light colored pipe will be stained by the rain or mist. Black, dark brown and rough finishes works best, in the British climate. This moist grey climate of the UK where it gets dark at 3:30 PM in Dec. also explains the somber discrete colors of gentlemen’s’ clothing. Especially if said gentlemen are ruling over a one quarter of the world population from their small, foggy, rainy isle. They need to be perceived as serious man, gravitas. They are not ruling over this enormous population by force, there are not enough of them, but being adroit about the ways of man and at the same time being perceived as fair and honest.

These pipe smoking English and Scotts built an empire. Colonialism has been denigrated as a terrible thing, particularly by the PC crowd. These, well tailored Englishman, who dressed for dinner in remote and dangerous places they governed all over the world, learnt the language of the locals, trained local administrators, balanced the budget, generated fiscal revenue, they had to because the British government wasn’t going to finance them. If they failed to govern fairly the population would revolt. And when they left most of these former British colonies, India, South Africa, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. continued to develop, and did not completely collapse into chaos as most of the French, Italian and German former colonies did. It is because of them that English is the worlds’ language today and India is the world largest democracy and English speaking country. Not a bad legacy for a group of tweed wearing, whisky drinking, pipe smokers.

By the late 1920’s the British Empire had passed its zenith but its pipes were considered the best. Its set of classic shapes was what a pipe was. A British pipe was extremely well made and flaws were not acceptable. No puttys or fills and in a smooth no sandpits. A gentleman would not accept a crooked seam in his suit, why would he accept the equivalent in his pipe. So the idea of the second came about, called “not passed”. The second could be sold on to another lesser pipe makers or become a lower grade by the same maker. In this regard Dunhill was different than most other English makers, no seconds. It either was top grade and a Dunhill or it wasn’t. So while, anecdotally we hear Dunhill sold its seconds on to other makers we know Dunhill also bought in top quality bowls from other makers. This was one major difference between British makers and the Europeans. A given maker was committed to a given level of quality, where the bowl was turned was not important. This became an established practice of quality British pipe makers, called “buying in bowls”. The stamp “Made in England” on a pipe meant a quality pipe.

These high quality British pipes became the standard for a pipe, everywhere. British pipes were exported to America, Canada, Italy, Germany and Russia etc. When a man wanted a quality pipe he bought British. The demand was so great that the British pipe industry was not that of a small artisan industry as in Italy today. Factories produced British pipes; some employed over 300 workers producing thousands of pipes a month.
When Churchill met with Stalin at Yalta in WWII he brought the dictator his favorite brand of pipes as a gift, Dunhill’s. His tobacco I have heard was Edgeworth Flake.

The Italians, Castello and Savinelli were producing their version of the British pipe. And the French, well they were producing French pipes. There were no other styles. No Danish freehands or neo-classical Italian pipes, no Japanese and no American artisan pipes. The only other mass producers were Americans like Kaywoodie. We will ignore all drugstore pipes.

The British pipe industry was producing thousand of pipes a month. Dunhill, Comoys, Charatan. BBB, Barling, GBD, Astley’s, Ben Wade, etc. were selling hundreds of thousand of pipes a year worldwide. Yet the reign of the British pipe was to be short. It kept growing until the late 50”s. Then with the ever-faster pace of modern life cigarettes began to predominate and pipe sales began to decline. At first it was very gradual but by the 90’s the sale of pipe tobacco and pipes had plummeted. This coincided with the rise of the Italian, Danish & German pipe makers, over the previous two decades. But these newer European pipe makers were really only carving out a piece of a shrinking market. Slowly the great British houses folded, were absorbed by others, or faded away. At the same time a new artisanal generation of British pipe makers came into being, Ashton, Ferndown, Upshall, Milville and most recently Northern Briars. But the days of the great British pipe merchants are over. In the UK, in the trade, the betting is on how long Dunhill will continue making pipes. If and when they close it will be the end of a long history. But the tradition will survive as long as there are British pipe makers.

So while the great houses are all pretty much gone the classic British shapes that evolved in bygone eras will continue to be produced by small British makers and in modified form by the Italians, Danes and Americans. But to me a classic Billiard, Bulldog, Rhodesian etc. seems to change when produced by pipe makers from outside the British Isles. They lack some essential British element. That element I think is that the pipe maker is removed from the root culture that gave birth to that shape.

It a sense it mirrors modern art, The French gave us the impressionist and the moderns but when the modern art world moved to New York during WWII the art changed and we got the abstract expressionists. The culture and skyline were different. Same pipes plus different culture equals a different pipe."

Maxim Engel

Highlights underlined for emphasis.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

A good read. I enjoyed that.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Glad you enjoyed it...

Check this out: I decided to write Marty Pulver (of Pulver's Prior Briar) who is an old and very experienced finder/seller of good Estate pipes. Here's what he wrote me:
"Jim;

You ask a question that has, as you know, no clear, concrete answer. But I think I can provide some general guidelines. Some years back, before the proliferation of pipemakers, the standard bearers of the German style were rather simply Ingo Garbe (born and raised German, but living in Denmark) Rainer Barbi, Karl Heinz Joura and Bertram Safferling. undoubtedly I'm missing some very important people and for sure I'm missing Otto Pollner (I think that's his name) who was maybe premature.

What distinguished their pipes from others, English and Italian and Danish, were a slight veering away from traditional shapes, perhaps with design modifications, and a more refined touch than the Italian and a slightly less refined touch than the very best of the Danes. This is all subjective. By then, the English had succeeded committing
suicide by refusing to change their styles from thet 1931 styles.

More recently, as all pipe makers have moved ahead with a wider range of styles, I'd say that almost any of the German pipe makers are representative of the German style, as different as they may be from one another. Again, I harken back to their being more refined than the Italians, whom I consider to be clunky (with notable exceptions, like
Paolo Becker and Gabriele Dal Fiume and Max Rimensi of Il Duca) and less so than the very best of the Danes.

That's my 2 cents.

Marty"
Great stuff from a guy who knows. I'll try to flesh out the German artisans (some of whom I ran into already).

Ingo Garbe (German, works now in Denmark), a decription of his philosphy:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Garbe
And a great example:
http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/ingo_garbe_0.html

. . . . . . .Image

Rainer BarbI (one of the German greats, died 3 years ago):
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Barbi

. . . . . . .Image

Karl Heinz Joura
(considered one of the world greats):
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Joura

. . . . . . .Image

Bertam Safferling (moved to Italy, art graduate, loves freehand being driven by the individual grain):
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Safferling

. . . . . . .Image

Otto Pollner (three generations of pipemakers, yet another German master, the subject of several books):

. . . . . . .Image

So what did we get from Marty?

1. The Germans were indeed influenced by the Danes, with "a slight veering away from traditional shapes, perhaps with design modifications, and a more refined touch than the Italians and a slightly less refined touch than the very best of the Danes".

2. He considers the Italians "clunky", with named exceptions.

3. As he put it, the English "committed suicide" by failing to change or develop their classic styles of the 1930's. OTOH if you read the long piece on the Brits (above a couple posts) you will find a different point of view that respects classicism and quiet quality.

To see a whole group of top German style artisans, check Marty's German page for about 10 or 12 of them:

http://www.pulversbriar.com/german.html

BTW, his specials can be terrific as his real focus are generally the top artisans and brands selling from about $150 to $8000 (I'm serious). Thus when he gets what he considers ordinary pipes (like a good Savinelli) you may score a great pipe for very little money. He refurbs all he sells nicely. And deserves this free plug...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I maintain that any one spending more than approx $200 on a pipe is lacking common sense and is a show pony. Anyone spending $8000 on a pipe must be filling the thing with crack because he/she has seriously lost the plot. I don't care who made it or it's bullshit history. A perfect grained and perfect smoking pipe can easily be had for little money.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d... righto my good man!

Our corporatocracy, er society has seen the biggest shift of assets since the Great Depression, moving our money to truly a tiny number of individuals, the 0.1%. The once large middle class is being milked and destroyed - death by a thousand cuts - ergo although a few mid-level products remain for the likes of us, the market now serves the poor, the soon to be poor and the filthy rich.

Ergo $8000 pipes and Panamonte, as the bottom shelf cancer has spread to capture the rest of the shelves. Admittedly they can be stunning, beautifully designed and accomplished, even possible museum pieces. But still, just why? Those who can buy them do so simply because they can. Pure status, pure power, pure condescension and purchased more for the price and ego than the presentation.