Sutliff's Private Stock: Man's Best Friend

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sutliff's Private Stock: Man's Best Friend

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Man's Best Friend, per Sutliff:

"Smoking Mixture: Never Bites"

Blend Type: American
Contents: Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Flavoring: Rum
Cut: Cube

As posted at TR:
"This is a simple blend of lemon virginia, cubed white burley and latakia and is alleged to be topped with a bit of some non-descript rum. Few here - and I am one - don't find the rum; if it's there it's very, very modest. The tobacco can benefit from a bit of rubbing out - particularly the chunks of latakia. It both lit and burned well with minimal relights with Frank pack in my MM Cob.

So far so good. The blend is extremely well balanced with no one element dominating, but to the point that I find Man's Best Friend bordering on non-descript. Based on the cut, it's possible to get occasional whiffs of one element or another, but the modest latakia is always there.

Mind you, I'm a big fan of a balanced blend, but not to the point that the elements merge into a kind of sameness throughout the smoke. It's certainly not bad, it's actually quite pleasant, but it is not remarkable. I'd call this a pleasant all day smoke, comfortable and likeable but not particularly exciting. This tin will certainly be finished, but I don't see buying another at this time.

Pipe Used: MM cob
Age When Smoked: 4 to 6 months
Purchased From: Local tobacconist
Similar Blends: R-blend, but not as good.."