Rum Review: Pyrat Pistol Rum

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Pyrat Pistol Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Pyrat Pistol Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pyrat Pistol Rum: "It's a pistol alright!"

Pyrat Pistol. Let's not kid each other it's about that bottle. Thin, holds bout a half carafe (375 ml), with the usual Pyrat gewgaws, ribbons, et al. Like an expensive dildo that you can jam into your purse or holster, lol. Batteries extra. If there is one rum that defines Tie Dye, this is it.

I found a close out on Pistol, just $7 each, and I figured - like it or not - it'd make a nice gift item for my orgasm-challenged friends, so I bought em out. It also made for a great chance for a comparison tasting with Pyrat XO. Would I buy Pistol again (at full price)? And how does it compare to XO? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
Pyrat does great bottles - they look wonderful on your top shelf or liquor cabinet. Having experienced Pyrat XO I was really looking forward to tasting it again along with Pistol. Pistol is well named - it really is one. The aroma is pungent - apricot/orange preserves, perhaps a little frangipans (a flower). I also pick upfound white pepper and a bit of pecan. Pistol is syrupy and tastes of hot cinnamon spice, white pepper, peaches and anise. It is explosive! It's finish is smooth, warm and peppery with a coating apricot aftertaste.

Do I like this rum? Well, let's say I had no problem in giving a bottle to my niece, as younger people may be more into its intensity. But I'd hardly call it sophisticated.
Me:

I have little to add. Color is medium amber, long slow sugary legs. Pyrat Pistol is indeed explosive and it's all about its syrupy taste. Sue Sea compared it to the finish of a overcarbonated champagne peppering your mouth and throat. To me Pistol is overdone, an XO on steroids. Considering it's more expensive than XO, I simply can't recommend a buy. More about Pistol in the XO review...

Ratings (10 is best): 5.
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

i tasted it years back when this post was relevant, it had a distinctive blueberry taste.

have not seen it in a bit. if we got some I would buy a bottle. I liked it.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)