Sangster's Old Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Liqueur

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!
bearmark
Beermeister

Sangster's Old Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Liqueur

Post by bearmark »

I just happened upon this blue ceramic bottle of coffee liqueur today. The award seal on the front claims gold medals at London 1976 and Bristol 1978. The taste is distinctly Jamaican with a great coffee flavor and heat that belies the 60 proof statement. The cork was in bad shape and took some work to remove as it crumbled. I paid $20 and I'm really pleased with the find. Could it really be that this rum-based liqueur is 30+ years old? I'll post a picture tomorrow along with some data that I've collected so far. If anyone has information about this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate a follow-up post.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

Update

Post by bearmark »

According to My Island Jamaica, this was the work of a Dr. Ian Sangster, who was famous for his Jamaican liqueurs, particularly a Wild Orange Liqueur. When he died in 2001, J. Wray & Nephew took over the operation and sold some of the liqueurs under the Blue Mountain label. It doesn't look like this is imported any longer and this particular bottling is an older one.

I feel like I just happened upon a rare piece of Jamaican history.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

Photo of Bottle

Post by bearmark »

Here's what the bottle that I found looks like, except with a replacement top since the cork fell apart.
Mark Hébert
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A brilliant find and collector's item...

Congratulations! You dog, er bear...