Irish Whiskey: Malloye 3 Year, 'Pure Old Pot Still'

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Irish Whiskey: Malloye 3 Year, 'Pure Old Pot Still'

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Fool me once...

On a recent trip through Total Wine & Spirits I happened across a bottle of "Malloye Triple Distilled Irish Whiskey", "Aged 3 Years" and "Pure Old Pot Still". Nice Irish green, gold-leafed label, screw cap and for $17.95. Grab and go was assured here and I did.

Sue Sea and I have of late gotten into watching some multi-episode English dramas most evenings and it's really quite impossible not to have a dram of good Irish whiskey to set and reflect the mood. For some reason we both have an affection for a good Irish whiskey and this "Malloye" was rather nice surprise - especially at what seemed a closeout price - and to the point that we felt obligated to review it.

I'll publish it when I can find my notes, lol. For a three year it was rather remarkable and for $17.95 this tipple is absolutely a must buy. It was really quite reminiscent of the Finegan's Eight Year so natch, Ilater got around to checking the label to see if they were of the same distillery.

And then... the horror!

You guessed it! It was labelled "Imported and Bottled by the Malloye Spirit Company, Princeton, MN". This is the spirits equivalent of the thousands of Bahamian registered corporations whose only real presence there is little more than a mailbox. And like all the Princeton-based spirits the back label tells you nothing more than the origin (Ireland) and a bar code.

It's probably a good thing I bought it so quickly and without seeing that, or I'd have likely passed it by based on past experience with these mostly cheepo marketing inventions. This though was a pleasant exception.

My advice to the Princeton "Spirits Companies": it couldn't possibly hurt and maybe even help to describe the source and contents. Really...