Deals with the Devil: Ruminsky and Fat Pirate

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Deals with the Devil: Ruminsky and Fat Pirate

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You can always tell who's hot and who's not...

...when you see webmasters posting and pandering to the Shillery monkeys. The Preacher tolerates these boyz - to a point - as long as they forego any real challenges or post any critques, but instead stick with the "it's all good" program and all while picking fleas off of one another's butts.

For example, currently NOT posting is the Frozen One, whose ability to pump out many hundreds of softball interviews means the freebie' conveyor belt is running at top, "I Love Lucy" speed; ergo, he no longer needs to pucker up to the Preacher.

OTOH, the Count, Ruminsky and the Fat Pirate are hurting, so they kneel down, start picking and try to act authoritative (but not threateningly so), making sure of course to include copious links to their own sites and - gulp - even sometimes one of their reviews.

Ruminsky never quite made it the first time around, and left his old crew and reviewing for quite some time. He recently started up again due to "tremendous demand". Sure. The only time most of us webmasters experience "tremendous demand" is after pigging out on smoked ribs and baked beans - and our demand is for the nearest loo, and now, lol!

Rummy posted this question:
"The rums are awesome, and yet it begs the question why it's only independent (primarily European) bottlers that are issuing these full proof expressions, and not the Bacardis, Mount Gays, Appletons, DDLs or others?

Is it really seen by the source distillers as such a niche market that it doesn't warrant their participation? I find that a really odd attitude -- especially since whisky drinkers pay five, six, even ten times as much for a rare, aged and unique bottling of a favoured distillery. And the guys who like the full proof expressions are the ones with the money to follow the passion, so it's not as if neither the money nor the interest is there."
I mean really now, don't we all know the answer why rum doesn't get the same respect as single malts? Is he really serious? Or is just an attempt to play dumb, and use the post as a vehicle to post a link to one of his reviews (which he did)?

Not to mention his comparative selections. And he's even wrong about them, to wit: How about Bacardi's 150th Anniversary (43%) release at $2000, or even the Facundo Selection at up to $250? Why has he overlooked Appleton's 21, 30 and 50 year old releases, all between 86 and 90 proof - and - that he himself has reviewed?!

He also reviewed Mount Gay's 1703 and Extra Old (both at 43%), and is he completely ignorant of MG's Eclipse Black at 100 proof? Or El Dorado's Special Reserve 21 at 43% for example, or even their Single Barrel/Still series? He's left out Pussers and Seales Ten, both of which meet his criterion.

Is Ruminsky that stupid?

No way. He knows exactly what he's doing, and surely he knows these rums, as he's reviewed nearly all of them. In sum, this post is simply a puckering plant designed to push traffic. Maybe if he's lucky, the Frozen Wonder - his Canadian butt bud - will reroute a few bottles to him. As for the other fat guy - the Fat Pirate - he's far less inventive. He begged to be allowed back on the Project, but after consultation with one of my expert advisors, he was denied with the suggestion that he'd be a better fit at the Shillery.

Obviously, he agreed and he is.. Curiously, the Shillery seems to have run its course. The list of regular posters seems limited to a very small pack of primates.
Kevin
Swabbie

Post by Kevin »

Ok, so I get a few of the clever handles here, but please enlighten me, who is the Fat Pirate? Lol.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Kevin wrote:Ok, so I get a few of the clever handles here, but please enlighten me, who is the Fat Pirate? Lol.
Good question!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Let you fingers do the walking...

The "Fat Pirate" was registered here for a brief time, and also at the Shillery. He posts frequently there and can easily be found.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

:-)

Freebie samples, full bottles, exclusive closed tastings, trips and all, maybe a place in the judging panel of a rum competition, and perhaps a few glasses to go with the sugar juice - these are the dreams of rum bloggers...?

Heck, even the once-widely-respected spokesman of single malts since 80s, Jim fell when he was fronted by the massive cashcow of Ballantines. The cow moo'ed, dished out, and Jim praised its voice. The best ever, out of all, blends and singles. Amen! [Darn, I do hope he got a villa in the French Riviera for that, because MAN did it drop his esteem.]

I have a blog where I say nice things about product I feel are good, or tend to be overlooked by many - the underdogs, for whatever reason. So far I have avoided smashing any product to bits on its pages, mainly because I generally don't drink products which have a high "mostlikelycrap'pability" factor. Oh well...It may yet happen. Some of the reviews I have posted on forums have been on those kinds of products, and have said it out straight too.

I do hope its ok if I occasionally link to my blog, as long as I also put the same actual review text here in that post.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

JaRiMi wrote::-)

Freebie samples, full bottles, exclusive closed tastings, trips and all, maybe a place in the judging panel of a rum competition, and perhaps a few glasses to go with the sugar juice - these are the dreams of rum bloggers...?

Heck, even the once-widely-respected spokesman of single malts since 80s, Jim fell when he was fronted by the massive cashcow of Ballantines. The cow moo'ed, dished out, and Jim praised its voice. The best ever, out of all, blends and singles. Amen! [Darn, I do hope he got a villa in the French Riviera for that, because MAN did it drop his esteem.]

I have a blog where I say nice things about product I feel are good, or tend to be overlooked by many - the underdogs, for whatever reason. So far I have avoided smashing any product to bits on its pages, mainly because I generally don't drink products which have a high "mostlikelycrap'pability" factor. Oh well...It may yet happen. Some of the reviews I have posted on forums have been on those kinds of products, and have said it out straight too.

I do hope its ok if I occasionally link to my blog, as long as I also put the same actual review text here in that post.
Not my call but link away as far as I'm concerned, should make an interesting read.

You can always link to your blog in your signature in your profile.
To much your there I think so.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

FWIW....

Just put up a post intended for JaRiMi and all the rest of our long time friends and posters here. You all know who you are. Of course you may link your own sites; you earned it - you deserve it - and by all means do so.

It's Sue Sea's and my pleasure - so have at it as you will...