Hypocrisy Dept: Cowdery re "bourbon"? Or not?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Hypocrisy Dept: Cowdery re "bourbon"? Or not?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Like untold other Americans, I have long appreciated the purity of bourbon...

...if not the spirit itself. Unlike rogue rum which cheats every way to Sunday, single malt whiskies and bourbon have remained among the true "noble spirits" and for good reason. Both are very tightly regulated as you well know - single malts by the SWS and bourbon by American regulations. The difference?

Although bourbon will never be the real equal of a fine single malt (personal opinion), bourbon is the purer. Here's why. According to the regs, "Bourbon"...
"...is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type."
Also unlike single malts it may contain no coloring whatever. I'd like to draw attention to one other important matter: the regs do NOT defined or distinguish "aging" from "finishing". The CFR's don't use or define either of these terms. To them "aging" and "finishing" are both included under the term "storage". Likewise the regs do not used terms like "barrel" or "cask", but rather lump all such containers as, well "containers". Thus "bourbon" MUST be "stored... in charred new oak containers", period, stop.

Cowdery understands this. Indeed he makes this clear insofar as "Early Times" which allows about 20% of the distillate to spend some time in USED containers, this product is thus NOT a bourbon, but is called a Kentucky whiskey. He states:
"Although Early Times is not bourbon in the U.S., it is bourbon in all international markets. The current label was adopted in the early 1980s, if I remember correctly. Before that the brand had a very garish yellow label. It was in a round bottle then too (now it's square).

Brown-Forman, which makes Early Times, calls the U.S. product "Kentucky Whisky." Brown-Forman was the first to use that term, but others have used it since. The resemblance to "Tennessee Whiskey" is obvious and intentional. Brown-Forman also makes Jack Daniel's.

Early Times can't be called bourbon because about 20 percent of it is aged in used barrels. Bourbon must be aged 100 percent in new, charred oak barrels."
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... 05ddf3ebf1

However, when Jim Murray pointed out the modern abuse of used, ex-sherry containers to "finish" the spirits (and still call the product "bourbon") as an illegality, Cowdery took great offense and backed the marketing boyz in toto. For example a "super-premium" called "Sherry Signature" not only allows the distilled mash to spend time in used ex-sherry containers, but even ADDS some actual sherry, yet is still features " Straight Bourbon Whiskey" on the label!

How Cowdery on one hand can insist that Early Times cannot be a bourbon due to the use of used containers, while supporting "Sherry Signature's" use of not only used barrels but even added sherry as a legally labelled "straight bourbon" is completely hypocritical. The only difference? That Early Times has chosen to label honestly, while "Sherry Signature" has not. Cowdery's indefensible position seems to be that that if a company labels it so, it must be legal. His only defense is ludicrous and shows no real understanding of the law, via his pithy quip that once made"...you can't unmake bourbon", a nonsensical bumper sticker if there ever once one. Apparently you can designate a stored spirit as bourbon whenever you'd like, and once having done so, no further storage counts.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

Earth to Chuck: the regs are clear, Jim Murray knows it and I agree. Your bumper sticker defense is less than naive. A spirit is not "made" until it leaves the containers(s) for bottling and in the case of bourbon the containers must be "charred new oak", period, as it has for over a hundred years. Sure you can move it from one container to another but only if the latter container is also charred new oak. For example Phil Prichard's "double barreled bourbon" does exactly that (as do a couple others). Otherwise the regs will call it a "whiskey made from bourbon mash".

Try as you might you can't have it both ways. I'll leave it at this. What you know, you know very well indeed but sadly, the opposite is for you, seems rather intolerable. Sorry Charlie...

Unfortunately this became such an issue at Straightbourbon that Cowdery found himself painted into the corner, and lacked the cajones to admit his error, preferring instead to sputter and bluster. A real shame, as I have long respected his expertise in terms of wood and palate. His book "Straight Bourbon" is a must buy, as is his e-book "Small barrels make lousy whisky".

But this time my friend we will agree to disagree, Lighten up, won't you?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Early Times is comprised of a blend of whiskies, with 80% having been aged in new charred oak and the other 20% being aged in used barrels. That's not the same thing as a whiskey with 100% having been aged in new charred oak, then being placed in barrel for finishing. The so-called "finishing" is after-the-fact. Cowdery claims that after having creating bourbon per regulations for mash bill, aging, etc., finishing is an additional process performed on a whisky, bourbon in this case. It doesn't seem like a stretch to call this ____-finished bourbon. You can't do that with Early Times, because it was never bourbon to begin with.

Regardless of which side of the issue you fall on, it's important to objectively represent the other side's argument.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A distinction without a difference...

FWIW Cowdery's argument was both quoted - exactly and in his own words - and linked. Your point - that the Early Times "was never bourbon in the first place" to the contrary, IS the point, and for entirely the correct reason - some of the distilled mash spent time stored in used wood.

The point - per Murray and here - remains. It the distillate is "stored" in anything but "charred new oak containers" - even for a minute - it cannot be called bourbon. Spirits that are stored in used wood for any period of time like Early Times and Sherry Signature both (or Angel's Envy for that matter) legally should be labelled "Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash". All of the quoted phrases are directly from the regulations.

Bear your observation "... Cowdery claims that after having creating bourbon per regulations for mash bill, aging, etc., finishing is an additional process performed on a whisky, bourbon in this case." is exactly right, but that claim was and remains exactly wrong. I'll explain:

"Aging" and "Finishing" are the same

The word quoted from the regulations are VERY important. The regs do not refer to, define or in any way distinguish "aging" from "finishing" - purposefully - and instead considers both to be only "storage". To the TTB what the marketing boyz call aging or finishing are simply "storage", and are one in the same. That understood, then we must ask "storage" in what? Once again the TTB avoids refering to or defining casks, quarter casks, butts, pipes or the like but lumps all forms of storage together under one term, namely storage in a "container". And finally, what kind of "container"? As "bourbon" is defined under the standards of identity, quoted above:

"Bourbon" must be "stored (aged/finished) at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers".

Understanding that aging/finishing both constitute storage in a container is crucial! The TTB cares not a whit if what is to be a "bourbon" is transferred from one container to another, or blended with another spirit, as long as all were "stored" in "charred new oak containers", having met the rest of the standard.

Storage continues until bottling; likewise it is the act of bottling that ends the storage. Only when the spirit is finally bottled and properly labelled is it considered "made". To Cowdery and his silly phrase ("You can't unmake a bourbon"), the bourbon is apparently "made" after spending 15 minutes in charred new oak, and anything after that is merely what he and the marketing boyz call "finished", "enhanced" and the like. BTW, there is a whole other set of rarely cited regulations that cover the transfer of spirits to other containers, which are perfectly congruent with the above. I'll leave you with this...

In sum: "finishing" is a vague term of marketing art that is not at all recognized by the TTB to whom any time in any barrel is storage. If prior to bottling an otherwise qualified spirit spends any time being stored in anything but a qualified container, it is no longer bourbon. FWIW, those products would legally fall under one of several other classifications.

Other classifications

I don't mean to complicate things, but there are more classifications that are relevant here, particularly for the named brands.

1. "Whisky distilled from bourbon mash” (label) is whisky produced in the United States at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored in used oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type. Early Times, Sherry Signature, Angel's Envy all fall under this SID.

2. "Treatment with wood. The words “colored and flavored with wood xxx (insert chips, slabs, etc., as appropriate)” shall be stated (label) as a part of the class and type designation for whisky and brandy treated, in whole or in part, with wood through percolation, or otherwise, during distillation or storage, other than through contact with the oak container. Maker's Mark 46.

3. "Flavored bourbon" is easy to understand. A legal "bourbon" is made, to which is added some form of legal flavoring or spice, in which case the primary flavor must then be labelled, eg Red Stag or Wild Turkey Spiced Bourbon. There's even a bacon flavored bourbon. The bourbon itself must have been stored only in charred, new oak.

Sadly, none of this means that labels can be trusted. Many products are mislabeled or carefully worded in any variety of ways designed to mislead. Nor is the TTB very attentive. Thank god for the flurry of new class action lawsuits to keep them honest.

I hate to say it, but were it not for my past experience as a legal researcher (and writer), I'd be just as flummoxed as anybody. You're just going to have to trust me on this one. Although I was already well versed insofar as rum regs, it was not until I bought Jim Murray's Bible that I discovered the horrible mess once pure bourbon is being put into by the mega's, whose marketing departments are more than willing to compromise its purity by blurring the standards of identity. Cowdery is dead wrong here; sadder still is that this lovely and outspoken man is inadvertently supporting the mega-driven downfall of the spirit I know he loves.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Some interesting mind games...

Let's start easy. All examples assume that the mash bill, distillation and storage proof are all legally within the specifications for "bourbon whiskey":

1. The distillate is stored for 3 years in charred new oak. Label it.

2. The distillate is stored for 4 years in charred new oak. Label, please.

3. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 2 years and 11 months, then stored in used ex-bourbon oak for 1 month.

4. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 2 years and 11 months, then moved to another charred new oak barrel for 1 month.

5. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 1 month.

6. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 1 month, then moved for further storage in used ex-bourbon oak for 2 years and 11 months.

7. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 3 years, but is blended 80/20 with a distillate aged for 3 years in used ex-bourbon oak.

8. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 3 years, but is blended 80/20 with the distillate from number 5.

9. The distillate is stored in charred new oak for 3 years, with short staves of ex-sherry oak inserted into the barrel for 1 more month.

10. Two distillates: the first is stored in charred new oak for 9 years and 11 month, then for 1 month in used ex-sherry barrels. The second is stored in charred new oak for 1 month, then for 9 years and 11 months in used ex-sherry barrels.
Question: can both legally be called "A Fine Ten Year Old Oloroso Finished Bourbon"?

Last and in legal (TTB) terms, distinguish "aging" from "finishing", and from "storage". Cite your source.

Have fun...

A fascinating thread detailing this issue at Straight.bourbon, and including moi, Chuck, et al.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... Jim-Murray