Finding the Sweet Spot: it seems a personal journey...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Finding the Sweet Spot: it seems a personal journey...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In terms of finding one's own sweet spot, pipe tobacco seems a very personal journey...

Let me explain. I'm sure I'm not alone in beginning with an aromatic: in my case that was the iconic 1-Q, still beloved by many, many pipers. The aromatics were nice, but I wanted a REAL aromatic, Lane's BCA being clearly superior in this regard.

The next step was a foray through some famous OTC's - first the well known Carter Hall (with a little more burley and then the equally famous, straight ahead burley Prince Albert. Out of this came a love for the roasty, nutty burleys. Call me a codger, but at least spell my name right. This led to purchase of Sir Walter, Half and Half, Granger and the tobacco that got me laid - Middleton's Cherry Blend.

I began to appreciate the burley, but also liked a bit of aromatics. Next up was Lane's RLP-6, a lovely blend of cav, burley and virgina, which kept my burley, but with just enough virginia and cavendish to keep it interesting. I'd come to appreciate the Lanes. This led almost naturally to HGL, which many reviewers swore this was the RLP-6 with just a touch of latakia, yet another element. The complexity and balance was appearing. I'd gone from aromatics, to codgers, to what might best be called an American blend.

And I liked them. Next - and quite by accident - my tobacconist "Jim", turned me on to what turned out to be Sutliff''s 504 Aromatic English, with the same components but with some perique and some latakia but with the latter becoming more evident, but still not dominating.

Now this actually grabbed me. I was actually there to try the Dunhill 965, but this was a full English, no aromatics and with the latakia starting to take over. A bit too much. My beloved burley was now at the back of the bus. But then I spotted the 504 Aromatic English (Sutliff) and bingo! A winner!

A funny thing - it took no more than a couple puffs, and I immidiately loved it. All the diverse elements, including just a touch of aromatic, lots of balance, no pushy components, but all still there. And now my roasty, toasty, nutty burley was back. Lovely. I immediately bought two ounces. A few days later I picked up a Sutliff R-Blend, which allegedly is a remake of the old and d/c'd Einstein's Revelation. Call it the 504 but with little if any aromatics (a distant deep fruit). Call it a light English, but with the distinction of ALL the components in balance.

Had found my sweet spot?

Just to be sure I revisited my Missouri Meerschaum Patriot, and an H&H Magnum Opus, both by Russ O. Both are well regarded, full out English blends, with the Opus getting raves. Now the latakia was the star, the balance was gone, and the other components - not least my burley - were now just condiments. Although the Opus seeming had more quality, both were still rather singular, and past my swee spot.

And so - by finding my sweet spot, and then passing it by - was I able to finally determine just where my personal spot was. For now the 504 Aromatic English is just about it, with the R-blend a close second.

What's your story? Where's your sweet spot, and how did you get there?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

To be honest I fall in love with every new brand I buy. But after trying brand after brand and blend after blend I'd say the one tobacco I'd choose over them all if I had a gun pointed at my head would be HH Acadian Perique. That being said I'd rather choose a handful to cater to every mood and weather.
Aromatic=Erinmore Flake
Latakia=Hollys discovery
English=Dunhill Nightcap
Virginia plug=Ilsteds own Virginia plug
Burley=Solani Aged Burley
Virginia=undecided(?maybe Solani silver flake or Capstan blue or Sam Gawith FVF)
I'm sure that I forgot some but really my tobacco heart is fickle and what I love today will be replaced tomorrow by another sweet smelling vixen.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Not tried a whole lot of tobacco so far but I have found I'm not particularly a straight Virginia guy, don't mind a Virginia Burley mix ala Mac Barren Navy Flake. Been wondering what University Flake would be like. The stuff I like is a good Balkan oriental mix.

Lets break it down.
Aromatics:
Mac Barren Navy Flake
GQ Rum and Honey
Rattrays Bagpipers Dream
Erinmore mixture

Balkan/Oriental:
Squadron Leader
GQ Classic Balkan
Presbyterian
Robert Lewis Tree Mixture
Erinmore Balkan Mixture
Dunhil 965

The sweet spot for me is:
Squadron Leader

Others I've tried that were good but not for my palate:
Bob's Chocolate Flake
Rich Dark Flake
Orlick Golden Slice
St Bruno Flake
Best Brown Flake
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I haven't tried Erinmore Balkan or Squadron Leader. They'd be worth a gamble I think.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I haven't tried Erinmore Balkan or Squadron Leader. They'd be worth a gamble I think.
Yep both are good worth a shot. Try them as a sample if you can get samples.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition