Perique with a Generous P (DTM Ascanian)

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Perique with a Generous P (DTM Ascanian)

Post by da'rum »

New tobacco for me:

DTM Ascanian no.2 'Sweet and Gentle'.

The write up:

Zambian Virginia with a nicotine content of originally 3.5%, which has been reduced slowly through long storage. Add to that two pinches of best Orientals and 10% Perique, then pressed for two days at 50 atm, then matured for three months in the press, cut and packaged.

First impressions after 1 bowl.

I had high hopes as I readied my first bowl as the look and smell of the tobacco out of the tin is very very enticing. The list of ingredients also very promising. So I loaded up my Falcon and lit up. At first I tasted smooth burley type tobacco which surprised me and disappointed me as I hoped for spicy and sweet fireworks. This plain burley taste however only lasted for maybe 10 puffs and then came the perique and boy did it come, beautiful sweet spice aided by the orientals and Virginia. The flavour intensifies over the bowl but doesn't get overpowering. This is a very well blended tobacco with quality tobacco used. The nicotine content is noticeable and I think it would be a mistake to smoke this on an empty stomach.

Now this is a first bowl impression but I am looking forward to exploring this blend more. I am also confident that this blend will age well. I'll update in a month or so's time.

Cheers
Last edited by da'rum on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An interesting blend, but it doesn't seem to be available here, although many Dan Tobacco blends are. BTW "ambian Virginia with a nicotine content of originally 3.5%"?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

oops Zambian.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

It's a shame that you can't get it over there as it is wonderful (now having smoked two bowls).

By the way I edited that original post with a better description of tastes and it seems to have disappeared. A technical anomaly?
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The only tobacco I've tried with Perigue is Orlick Golden Slice and I wasn't to keen on it but, saying that I found I'm not a virginia smoker so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Perique. I'll have to try it in night cap or Ashton - Artisan's Blend and see if I like it.

Just for da'rum
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... rper-kake/

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... mp-flower/

Both have a heavy dose of Perique, check em out.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

There is only a miniscule amount of Perique in OGS (if any). Although Night Cap is a brilliant blend it's the latakia in it that makes it so.

I'd love to buy some of Glynn's wares but the price is holding me back at the moment. UK tobacco tax plus shipping results in walletary pain.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Yep our taxes on booze and tobacco are way to high. I feel your pain regularly.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

This will be my first 'bulk' buy. I am going to pick up a quarter kilo after Chrissy. It really is brilliant stuff. Especially for perique fans.
in goes your eye out