NCYankee, Sleepy Jarimi? Too much tobacco not enough rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
da'rum
Minor God

NCYankee, Sleepy Jarimi? Too much tobacco not enough rum

Post by da'rum »

I have barely had a dram in almost a year due to needing to be 100% sober during that time. My little vice is a contemplative hour or so puffing away on my pipe. I have therefore had very little to say about Rum in that time. Which really is not a great loss as there are others with better knowledge and experience who have probably more interesting things to say. 3 of those are listed above. Where are you guys? In my opinion the forum suffers from your absence.

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup, it's always good to hear from them, but it's been my experience that the Project - like all websites - experience activity in waves. I've often posted without hearing a word, and on the other hand another post or poster will lead to a surge of activity.

Not to mention that for some reason certain holidays - especially Christmas and New Years - divert people away for a time.

No worries mate... most of those you've named have been here before many times, and I'm sure we'll be seeing and reading their posts again soon. And yours and Dai's posts do the pipe section more than a little justice...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yes yes I'm aware of the ebb and flow of forum posting but it has been a while between drinks for at least NC and Sleepy. I enjoyed reading their posts and hopefully they may post again soon. Unanswered threads in this forum are the norm which is also ok as some threads are unanswerable except to say 'right on bro' or something as equally banal.

It could be we've said all what we can say about Rum or Spirits and all that's left to us is reviewing a new bottle or waiting for the next instalment of bastards r us's world domination.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bingo!

So true. At one time I started what became a leading independent kayaking website, and like this one dedicated to defining the basic elements of design and performance insofar as kayak fishing. Another common element is that most fields/products suffer from a number of myths - an example might be the proper length of paddle, or the importance of good design and performance insofar as a good kayak fishing experience.

Another big factor was the domination of kayaking websites with commercial ties. Another was the fact that each of those sites tend to develop a group of alpha monkeys and that outsiders or those who did not fall into line were flamed or driven out. Sound familiar?

And then, like now, I was dedicated to busting the myths and educating new kayakers so that they themselves could learn to understand design so that they could make their own good decisions insofar as buying and using a good fishing kayak.

And then, like now, the site became extremely well known, with many thankful readers, but also an equal number of those who were insulting.

Flat Ass Bottom Line:

It came to the point that I honestly felt that after several thousand posts that after all, it was just kayaking and there's only so much to say about it, unlike the more commercial/social sites that can and do post endlessly about trivia ("What did you drink today?"). I felt all I had to say had been said, said so in a kind of closing post, but that I'd decided to keep the site active as a useful reference point and learning aid for other beginners.

And so it is:
http://ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org

No one posts any more, but it gets many thousands of hits, and I still get plenty of email from new kayakers who express their great appreciation for the honest and competent information there, and often asking for my advice and recommendations.

da'rum my good friend, you have hit the nail on the head. Really, all of the key factors of run: style, purity, additives, profiles and the like, some of the politics have all been well covered. Sure there are always areas of new and legitimate interest - like the the discovery of the ALKO confirmation of sugar/additives - but they tend to be fewer.

Still there may be a few areas left to actively explored. These would include:

1. Completing a way that our active members could - as a group - do easy, inexpensive testing of the many rums NOT listed by ALKO. Richard Seale has established the basis for this using simple test equipment ($20). By dividing the task, as a group we could do a MAJOR service that would complete the ALKO work, and would have a certain MAJOR effect in the world of rum.

2. The other would be the idea of developing the first "Rum Tasting Wheel". Wheels exist for whisky, wine, chocolate, coffee, cheese, olive oil and the like. But not rum! The reason: rum is so highly altered with so many artificial flavors that it has been impossible to separate out, to identify the real and pure elements of real, pure and well made rums.

I believe this is perfectly possible, and once even published some of the aromas and flavors we thought were characteristic of rum. I KNOW our group of regulars have the skills and experience to create this very first wheel, which could then be made available to all rum drinkers as a free .jpg download they could print.

I'm sure other posters may have some other good suggestions for good and valuable subject or projects we could all share in...

But in sum da'rum: you've hit the nail on the head. The great body of observations have been made. Yes, there will be new and more outrageous destruction of the genre by the mega's. The educated - those friends who are regulars - now know the story, and no doubt feel it has been well told by all, and yes, may feel there is little to add.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

It could be or just that we need a thread or two that gets the juices flowing. My self recently have not posted about rum that's only because I have had nothing to say but, that would change if something cropped up and it will no doubt.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

It has been a busy year here, professionally and not-professionally (drinks-wise)...!

At this moment as Christmas approaches, I am swamped with the arrangements of the next whisky & rumfest "UISGE 2015". This is the 5th annual festival to arrange, and it takes much of my spare time - with work being ever-so-busy also, it has been a time management miracle really.

Next years whisky trips to Scotland & Ireland are planned with friends in Scotland side, and there's been more tastings arranged than in any previous year here. With all the arrangements of things for others, I note myself drinking less whisky and rum than previously - probably a good thing healthwise :-)

An interesting single cask rum will find its way here during the springtime: A 1996 Caroni finished in a port cask. Tasted it, and liked it. A lot. Really good continuation for the previous single cask for Finland, the Caroni "Trinity". That will be one rum to review and taste at least! :-)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice one Jarimi. Sounds like interesting times ahead. Enjoy.

You did remind me of someone I left out and that is Uisge. Also MIA
in goes your eye out