Rum Review: Prichard's Private Stock Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Prichard's Private Stock Rum (five is best)?

100%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Prichard's Private Stock Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Prichard's Private Stock 90 Proof Rum: An American Classic

Before I proceed I want to refer you - this very microsecond - to our main review of Phil Prichard' Flagship product, simply labelled "Prichard's Fine Rum" (link here). We did such a great, informative and entertaining review that it is not to be missed.

A reading of this review is almost essential to understanding the history and merit of his Private Stock (available only AT the distillery, period). And it will set the stage in term's of Phil Prichard's very unique company producing this true American Classic rum. I'm dead serious. And I will refrain from doing a cut 'n paste, even though the words are entirely mine (and Sue Sea's).

Prichard's Private Stock Rum is truly an American Classic. To the reviews:

Sue Sea:
Most of you know that I am a big fan of presentation, and Prichard's Private Stock does not disappoint. Unlike some of the new and offputting bottles that are beginning to appear, Prichard's delivers their rum in an elegant and classic bottle. But not a rum bottle! No, it is more like a whiskey or bourbon bottle. Like a flattened rum bottle - with broad, curved, smooth masculine shoulders, transitioning to a smooth narrow neck, heavy and clear thick base. Black tip with a gold seal and ribbon. The label is understated, strong but sophisticated, with a gold crest entitled "Torav Cyn Plygav".

The effect befits the title of this review, "An American Classic". With its heavy, elegant and sophisticated and thick-bottomed bottle, Prichard's feels as though it belongs on a Presidential liquor display.

The aroma is heavenly. I remember still when Jim cracked the Prichard's Fine Rum and the room was filled with an intoxicating fruity aroma. The Prichard's Private Stock was no different. My first impression once again was of deep fruit, now even richer. Black cherry, plums, raisins and currants, figs and dates. Yummy. Like smelling a warm pie in the oven.

The front palate presented as a deep clovey orange, which then thickens and heats, and moves into the deep dark fruits (especially figs and dates), and ending with a dark cherry. The finish is smokey dry and boasts a hot white pepper finish. Prichard's Private Stock leaves a wonderful and lingering deep fruit aftertaste.

To me the finest of rums have characteristics that simply cannot be quantified in any artificial rating system. Prichard's exhibits these: intrigue, romance and a kind of teasing that whispers in your ear "Taste me again. Explore!".

Prichard's Private Stock does these for me. I warn you - this rum is NOT an everyday rum and simply must be reserved as a very special treat for yourself, and very special friends, on very special occasions. It is to be treasured.

A good cigar might not be a bad idea either.
Me:

What a special rum! We have spent an awful lot of time with both Prichard's Fine Rum and now the older, rarer Private Stock. It is well to keep in mind that these rums hail from Tennessee and fairly represent their founder, country gentleman Phil Prichard.

Prichard's Private Stock is sold only at the distillery. You have to really want it. It is six years old and ninety proof, and is clearly an aged and fuller development of his "Fine Rum". Keep in mind that like the "Fine Rum", the Private Stock is made from table grade molasses (!), pot-still rich in flavors and aged powerfully in small, new oak charred barrels. An expensive process which may account for its uniquely American character.

My glass was a clear deep amber, with nice medium fast legs and a young, thin green edge. Perfect. My first impression was of smokey deep fruit over a background of tarry leather and spice. Since Sue Sea and I entirely agree on the palate, finish and aftertaste I will not repeat these observations. Know that they are true.

This is an exceptional rum to be savored on a dark and quiet evening, in the enveloping folds of your favorite leather chair, a nice fire (not here in Florida!), dressed appropriately - say a smoking jacket (I'm kidding, except for good Count Silvio) - and with Sue Sea's suggested cigar - only a good one, rolled between the thighs of a Cuban virgin.

Mmmm. Sweet, deep and nice, to be slowly sipped in quiet comfort, and savored into sweet oblivion.

Rating (10 is best): 9.

Note: By now most of you know a "9" or "10" is a very rare rating from us - earned by only a very, very few rums. If it is modified it has been done so well that our "9" remains nonetheless. On the other hand, if the fruitiness is the result of its fermentation and distillation alone I'd be tempted to give it a "10".

It is also worth noting that Prichard's and Coyopa are both pot stilled rums. Coyopa has been placed in the Barbadian section not due to style but due to its place of origin (this is a rare exception to placement by style).
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

The intro screen on Prichard's web site is one of the funniest things I've seen on the web in a long time.

I will likely be driving through Tennessee sometime this summer, and could certainly arrange a slight detour from Nashville. Would you mind saying what the price was for their magic elixir?
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Um, er, ah...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To be fair, I was blessed to meet Phil in person in Tampa where I was one of the other judges in last year's Tampa competition. When I bemoaned the fact that the chances of me being in Tennessee were nil if not less, he kindly offered to give me one.

Being the gentleman I am, I accepted his offer.

Since Prichard's Fine seems to sell for about $35 or so, I would not be surprised if the Private Stock was in the $40's or close to $50. Normally this is out of my favored price range which favors rums costing less than $30.

Sue Sea and I both agree that world class rums can be had for well under this figure (consider Barbancourt Five Star at $19, Seale's 10 at $19, Matusalem Gran Reserve at $24, Rum San Pablo at $11).

Still, the rarity of this very fine American classic is tempting. I really like Phil Prichard who is a real character.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Yeah, go ahead and rub it in. When I can find Barbancourt 5 star in Buffalo, its $30, and the Matusalem is $35 in PA. The others? yeah, right!

My last trip to FL, I found a Gosling's Family Reserve for $70, and I was ecstatic!

I have no problem paying $50 or so for a really fine rum. I compare it to buying $12-$15 bottles of wine, the rum lasts 4 times as long.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Finally made the trip down to Prichard's. As I was driving through Nashville anyway, it was only 90 mins. out of my way. I would say you were quite accurate with your reviews of both the fine rum and the private stock. After a fascinating tour of the facility and a pleasant chat with Mrs. Prichard, I was happy to part with $80 for my bottle of private stock. She indicated that the current batch is 8 years aged. Other than the obligatory 1/2 dram for my wife, the rest will not be shared.