Rum Review : Screech Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Rum Review : Screech Rum

Post by Blade Rummer »

For my first review here at the Project, I decided to pay tribute to my Atlantic Canadian heritage and review the famous Newfoundland Screech rum.

As some of you may be aware, Screech rum is something of an institution in Eastern Canada. The story goes that when an American sailor tried it neat, he let out a screech that became it's namesake and the tradition of testing your mettle with a shot of Screech has stuck with the tourists ever since. But then again, so has kissing a cod on the lips, so what do tourists know?

I believe it's a blend of 2-4 year Jamaican rum, but I can't seem to access it's website atm, so I may be wrong. I do know that the entire Screech rum line does not contain any added sugar, however, they sure are fans of E150, it's very notably coloured and for a Jamaican rum, it's much darker then my Appleton 12yo.

On nosing a fresh pour from the bottle, the predominant notes are of cough drops, oak and behind you can pick up some Jamaican esters. Surprisingly, for a young rum, there isn't too much of an ethanol burn on the nose. After about 20 minutes the cough drops are muted and there really isn't much else I can pick up, still some oak and Jamaican funk, but nothing very assertive.

Tasting time! The entry confirms a young rum, but it's not nearly as harsh as the stories would lead you to believe. A little bit of molasses flavor, but to me it's difficult to describe much in it at all apart from the young Jamaican profile (even compared to Appleton VX, it's obviously a younger blend), as the flavors seem to be in hurry to leave. I'm a little confused about the much repeated mantra that it kicks like a mule or has a crazy burn. To me, it's a little bitter on the back end but it also has some coffee notes and I honestly prefer my rum to be slightly bitter rather then cloyingly sweet on the finish. Regardless of how poor my taste descriptors are, it's surely not anywhere near the burn you would expect for something that is supposed to make you scream.

If this makes it seem like a poor drink, I must say I do enjoy it for what it is, a young un-sugared blend. It reminds me a bit of a Brugal in terms of being not very assertive in it's flavors but I enjoy my rums on the drier side and the bitter notes make it enjoyable as both a sipper and a mixer. Like Appleton VX, it's cheap enough to bring to a friend's knowing it will most likely be mixed with cola while at the same time you can still enjoy it neat, and possibly impress your friends at the same time with your toughness 8)
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

So would you say you give it "Tree stars?" :)