New rums coming from Luca Gargano/Velier

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
JaRiMi
Admiral

New rums coming from Luca Gargano/Velier

Post by JaRiMi »

Seems like Velier has a new selection by signore Gargano - and my word, these rums look like a lovely bunch of goodies!!

- Forsyths pot still 2005
- Foursquare Pot Still
- Forsyths 151 proof
- Port Mourant Still
- Monymusk EMB 248
- Muller LL IV/30177

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I am in awe. And it's wonderful to see Seale's in the lineup.

Perhaps this is part of the payoff for all those rum afficianados who have fought for pure and unaltered rums, and perhaps also reflects the growing awareness of sugaring and crapification of column stilled mooseshite.

More, more! And bring em to S. Florida!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

I can't get any of this stuff in Pa. Damn
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I don't think Velier is officially imported into the US at all :/
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

These are not going to be cheap but worth saving up for! I just hope we get some in the UK
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

So they are making a turn into white rum and more Jamaica..

Good to see these guys cooperating. Very very happy about it.

Fatrum some of the bottlings are supposed to be young, surely the price won't be high?
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

the aim of Habitation Velier is also to offer real r(h)ums at good price.
Richard Seale's one , for example, should be 55€, not more.

that is a great news, because it is great rum, really
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Velier has a page up where you can see the labels better.

http://www.velier.it/prodotti/ricerca-e ... ion-velier

They do give lots of info. The product is very unique, the aged foursquare for example. It's 100% pot still and aged for 2 years in cognac casks and bottled at barrel proof of 62% ABV, unchill filtered, no sugars or coloring, they even state the angel share. But at 60 dollars roughly for a rum aged 2 years, it better be one hell of a rum!

They go as far to state the congener content on some of the bottles. Leading me to believe this is some very bold full flavored rum. They sound like some amazing white rums. The cost seems a bit high though, but where else can you get an off the still strength white rum that's 100% pot still these days. That said, I would buy all of them, not that us yanks will have to worry about this as it does not appear we will see any in the USA, at least anytime soon.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

mamajuana wrote:Velier has a page up where you can see the labels better.

http://www.velier.it/prodotti/ricerca-e ... ion-velier

They do give lots of info. The product is very unique, the aged foursquare for example. It's 100% pot still and aged for 2 years in cognac casks and bottled at barrel proof of 62% ABV, unchill filtered, no sugars or coloring, they even state the angel share. But at 60 dollars roughly for a rum aged 2 years, it better be one hell of a rum!

They go as far to state the congener content on some of the bottles. Leading me to believe this is some very bold full flavored rum. They sound like some amazing white rums. The cost seems a bit high though, but where else can you get an off the still strength white rum that's 100% pot still these days. That said, I would buy all of them, not that us yanks will have to worry about this as it does not appear we will see any in the USA, at least anytime soon.
When judging the price of these rums you need to consider that they are 100% pot still rums. The cost of producing such a spirit is substantially more than a pot/column blend.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I wonder why they haven't put the age statements on the whites.

If they'll put a 2yr age statement on the Foursquare it can't be because they're ashamed of the youth!!!

Would like to know the distillation date on the Port Mourant white.

Also, what do we know about Forsyth's as a distillery? Is this a shuttered distillery? Searching it seems a bit more difficult since there's also a UK still-maker called Forsyth's.

Who are these guys, what do they make, and what's unique about them? Why should these be different than other Jamaicans on the market?

Note I have full faith that Luca has picked winners here, I'm just keen to learn more about the products.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Could be wrong but i think Worthy Park has a forsyth?

Am very excited about Velier moving into Jamaica rums. But hope the price is good...
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

The Black Tot wrote:I wonder why they haven't put the age statements on the whites.

If they'll put a 2yr age statement on the Foursquare it can't be because they're ashamed of the youth!!!

Would like to know the distillation date on the Port Mourant white.

Also, what do we know about Forsyth's as a distillery? Is this a shuttered distillery? Searching it seems a bit more difficult since there's also a UK still-maker called Forsyth's.

Who are these guys, what do they make, and what's unique about them? Why should these be different than other Jamaicans on the market?

Note I have full faith that Luca has picked winners here, I'm just keen to learn more about the products.
Forsyth's is not a distillery. They are Scottish still makers.

The Worthy Park Estate has a copper pot Forsyth still. They only started up the distillery again in 2005 - there rums are excellent thoroughly recommended. Rum-Bar Gold and White Overproof are well worth seeking out.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

OK, that clears THAT up. Thanks Wes.

Now I'd just like to know the ages of the white rums, and some intended release dates!
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

The Black Tot wrote:OK, that clears THAT up. Thanks Wes.

Now I'd just like to know the ages of the white rums, and some intended release dates!
Waiting for the UK/European release dates as well.......

I will guess that if they don't have an age statement then they will be be "unaged" I've never seen a rum bottled with an age statement of anything less than 3 years (possibly 2). So I would hazard a guess that the rum is less than a year old?

If you are interested in the Jamaican rums in the line up then try and get hold of the Worthy Park Rum Bar White Overproof. People have been getting excited about the Clairin's from Haiti (also Velier) - the White Overproof is even more funky than those and it makes J Wray and Nephew seem almost vodka like!

It won't be for everyone - it's very pungent!

The Rum-Bar Gold is really good as well - offers a middle ground between Hampden and Appleton and has a flavour all of its own.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I will absolutely check out those rum bar offerings, sounds like they're right up my alley.

Mixed feelings about the unaged. Even 3yrs usually does nice things to a white rum. But of course we shall try, and see!