Rum Review: Blackwell's Dark Rum and Smackdown

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do rate you Blackwell's Dark Rum (five is best)?

No votes
67%
33%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Blackwell's Dark Rum and Smackdown

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Blackwell's Dark Rum: "Hot Rum Cake"

I'd recently heard of this rum, U2?

Blackwell's Dark Rum is a new label and rum owned by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Isand Records (Bob Marley, U2, et al.) Island was THE up and coming label after signing Bob Marley, but his early death and a number of the usual music business shenanigans with U2 led to a checkered history. Another little known fact is that Blackwell is related to the Wray & Nephews' family.

Needless to say anybody who has anything to do with Jamaica and Marley loves rum and gardening and apparently Blackwell is no exception. No longer a young man he has the time and money to play and what better than a signature rum, typically a ho hum event around these parts.

Why? Most of these "signature" rums or spirits are jokes, wherein a distiller/promoter simply cuts a deal with a luminary who is paid so that his/her name can be plastered on the bottle selling the SOS. However there are exceptions like Sammy Hagar's tequila and rum - but only because these were his ideas, his company, his love and his determination to actually create and sell a fine spirit.

So how and why Blackwell's?

It so happened I'd traveled to Total Wine to find and suggest good deals for this holiday season, some "best buys" appropriate for celebrating what's left of our holiday and our nearly destroyed economy. Among my suggestions were three that were on my personal short list:

Bacardi's higher proof Heritage Edition, at $19
Sammy's batched, Hawaiian cane juice rum, at $24, and
Blackwell's Dark, at $26.

Trust me this was a very tough decision. Good word is out on Sammy's and I applaud any non-AOC effort. The Heritage comes in at 89 proof and I suspect quite well done and tasty. But when push came to shove I have always loved the Jamaican style and British Royal Navy rum and it's funky Jamaican element. Yes, I had my doubts about a signature rum, but it seemed promising, as (a) it was Jamaican, (b) made by the incomparable Wray & Nephews of the world class OP and (c) aged (think Myers's).

I grabbed the Blackwells? Brilliant choice or had I succumbed to marketing? Read on...

A combined review...
"Blackwell's presented as a slightly cloudy mahogany with a thin but honest green edge. Good so far. As far as the nose goes (intended) there was but one word upon which both Sue Sea and I agreed: rich. Very rich. Rich and overripe black banana, over a creme brulee, prune and a Sue Sea's fig, dates and vanilla. I'd also add a nice background leather and dunder funk.

This is where a rum taster should get suspicious, as it's almost predictable that such a rich - perhaps overly rich - open may well lead to a cloying sweet palate and lip licking finish like Brinley's or Trini Zaya. A reasonable fear.

In this regard Blackwell's disappointed, but in a good way. An early creamy honey (oh, oh) palate does indeed emerge but to be immediately balanced by a significant and growing heat (ginger and both white and black pepper), and a leather astringency. Both of these - the heat and leather - tame and balance any sweetness which may have threatened. And it is this lovely balance that makes this rum terrific.

Blackwell's Dark Rum is completely consistent, modestly complex, hearty, harmonious, solid and level. It is produced with grace and skill by a good company who knows how to make a great rum. I doubt that it is long aged, but some age is apparent. Very nice. "

Final Notes:

Sue Sea is a terrific cook, and I quote: "This is a great baking rum and would make a simply heavenly rumcake with its hearty and classic rummy flavors that remind me of Legend or Pussers. It is a solid Jamaican rum, definitely not the liqueur-like rum we'd feared. ". I would add this rum will go well with ice. Blackwell's has powerful flavors that will mix well in Pusser's fashion.

Score (ten is best): 7.

Addenda: the rating on Blackwell's - which I now consider a Zaya-lite - has been lowered to a "7" for the reason of suspected alteration. See next post.
http://www.blackwellrum.com/therum.html
http://www.drinkspirits.com/rum/blackwe ... um-review/
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A necessary Smackdown...

As some of know (or should), we strongly advocate the rum afficianados develop and use reference rums and conduct comparative tastings. More than once we've experienced a new rum only to find our impressions were overly optimistic when finally compared to a reference standard. Although The Project's named references are generally accepted great ones, we hope you'll develop your own changing standards of taste.

Enter Legend and Zaya

When I first cracked our bottle of Blackwell's and days before our actual review, ran a few drams down my gullet just for fun and to get acquainted. Blackwell's rich nose made itself immediately apparent and for me anyway, seemed eerily familiar. Still I couldn't quite place it, but then - lightbulb! - it came to me. I was reminded of a rum we'd not tasted for really a few years - Zaya.

It's really quite amazing that over time you tend to develop memories of certain spirits. Zaya was one of those, and special to me as it was one of the few altered rums that I really quite liked, and stated in our review that Zaya had what seemed a style of its own. Much later JaRiMi sold me on the notion of a Trini style so it's hard not to now attribute Zaya's effect on me to it's origin and heritage.

Hmm. But with this recollection, the comparison became obvious, so we managed to find the old Zaya and brought it out for a...

Comparisons

Zaya

My spirits memory had served me well. There WAS a similarity between Blackwell's and Zaya. Still although reminiscent, there were important differences. Zaya comes across as even deeper and truly sweeter. Add deep and ripe bing cherry to the list (a common tipoff re alteration). Zaya entry is similar but sweeter, but the heat/sweet is choppy, develops more agressively, and with a more intense astrigency and leather.

There is a loss of subtlety here, which for some may be interesting. And with Zaya, you will need a clearing sip of cool water after. Still, Zaya has its place, but in terms of harmony, consistency and balance?

That goes to Blackwell's Dark Rum.

Myers's Legend (10 year)

I won't pull any punches here. Legend is rare, hard-to-find and for lovers of Jamaican rum, a 10-rated treasure. Still we hadn't hadn't tasted our dear Legend for quite some years (as it may well be the last bottle we'll ever find).

Compared to Zaya and Blackwell's, Legend is truly dark, almost black. The nose was pleasantly familiar - molasses, cacao (bitter chocolate), and good Jamaican dunder (funk), a bit of nutmeg. And for Sleepy, reminiscent of good cup of strong, rich coffee. The palate is completely consistent, with a nice solid cacao, a coffee/expresso and even a measure of black tea, all leading to a smooth black pepper finish.

In sum, Legend demonstrates a standard to which Blackwell's ought aspire. Legend is becoming extremely hard to find, and has not been seen in south Florida for a long time now. A few internet bottles were found available but at dear prices, now up to $70. A shame, as Legend used to be commonly available closer to the high $30's or $40.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

Blackwell's, Zaya and Legend each have their own attributes. Legend is simply a classic and wonderful Jamaican dark, the dark gold standard. Zaya will entice your nose, then slap you in the face (a good thing, aren't you too sometimes submissive?), and Blackwell's? Another well done, well balanced product of Wray & Nephews...

Carry on.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

For the price, I think a more relevant comparison would be to Appleton 12, the standard Myer's, and Smith & Cross. All go for about $20-30 in my area.

As I said in a different thread, I've only had Blackwell in a tumbler at a bar, so I didn't get a really good sense of it (I do my own samplings in Glencairn glasses), but while certainly not bad, for $30, my money would go to S&C every time. Blackwell's almost struck me like a 3/4 Appleton V/X, 1/4 standard Myer's mix, which is quite pleasant, but at $30, overpriced. Smith and Cross on the other hand is worth every penny.

What's your thought on this?

PS, I will note that the premier rum bar in DC is VERY fond of using Blackwell's in cocktails (and also Cruzan blackstrap...with campari....), so obviously you're not alone in judging it well. I just have to imagine there are better options...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Hitime in Cali has it for $19, and based on your review I am about to order 2 during their annual 10% off sale.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I tried this rum the other night - I like it a lot, especially at the price I paid.

Hate the bottle though, or at least the cap - the cheap metal top didn't engage the threads at all and I had to cut along the perforations to get it off. I couldn't find a leftover cork to fit it tightly so had to borrow a cap off an empty bottle of White Horse Scotch I was saving to refill from a 1.75 ltr.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

It's only £24.25 in the whiskyexchange might spring for a bottle of this for christmas.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

FWIW...

After quite some time, I had the chance to revisit the Blackwell's and have come to the conclusion that although is hasn't been sugared, SOMETHING has been done to alter the rum's flavor - the profile is too Zaya-like to be unmolested. That deep, dark Bing Cherry, and unnatural smoothness, maybe even some vanilla extract.

After more research, I find I am not alone in my concern. Blackwell was reported to refer to a "recipe" and "secret family ingredient". I have no idea what has been done to this Jamaican distillate, but the profile is too smooth, and with dominant and what appear to be rather unreal aroma and flavor elements.

Accordingly, I could not possibly give this rum more than a "7", and only on the premise that you like Zaya.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

As per Astor wines and spirits in NYC this rum does have spices added to it. So you are not off track here, this is a spice rum not a traditional rum. They may have more insight into this adulteration than I. I never tried the rum as it always seems like a rip off to me. The reason being we have a relatively young rum that has clearly been over colored. I never saw this as more than a bar mixer for dark rum, simply not my cup of tea at its price point.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

After I was gifted a bottle of this rum today, I did a bit more research on this added spice issue. Their own website states that this has a "natural spice finish" clearly implying that this rum is not pure but spiced.

http://www.blackwellrum.com/therum.html

(click the orange tab on this page near the top that says "the rum".)

This has the same color as Appleton 12 year. Blended by Joy Spence I can see why.

Edit:

After having a few drams or so of this rum, I have a very disturbing thought... That being that it tastes well... a lot like Appleton 12 year old. The rum is very good even if spiced. I like it a lot actually. Very smooth if not offering the same level of oak has a flavor profile very similar. As I do not have a bottle of the 12 year on hand as mine is empty I will purchase another as as soon as possible to compare the two, as my memory may not be as accurate as I think.

Edit 2:

So I had this rum again tonight before having 9 oz of other rum. I must say alone it is quite sharper than the more aged 12 year. Also the spice is rather apparent. So with this noticeable spicing how does the rum seem to evade the hyrdo testing and show little to nothing added?
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Can't speak to the possible added flavorings but it is my current favorite mixer.
My cocktail making skills extend no further than pouring some Rum over lots of ice, adding some cheap ginger ale and a fat squeeze of fresh lime, sitting by the pool and watching the world whizz by. For that use this spirit is a big win. I appreciate that it has some flavor without being over the top spiced and that it's a low 40% so I can drink a few cocktails without stumbling on my way to the pool.

Added flavors should be noted on the label but unfortunately they don't seem to be.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Blackwell haiku review:

this will do the trick.
you can get something better
at the same price point.