Rums for whisk(e)y drinkers

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Nomad
Bo'sun

Rums for whisk(e)y drinkers

Post by Nomad »

Getting together with a few whisky drinkers who have asked me for rum recommendations.
I usually suggest Mount Gay XO, RL Seale and lately Scarlet Ibis; Others I'm considering, Barbancourt, Barilito, Zafra, Cockspur 12.
How about some other suggestions, thanks!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mine never change:

1. MGXO or Seales 10
2. Barbancourt 5 Star
3. Pusser's Blue
4. Appleton Extra
5. Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 or 7 year

A broad spectrum of all the major styles, short of a good Cuban style (most are altered now).
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Mine never change:

1. MGXO or Seales 10
2. Barbancourt 5 Star
3. Pusser's Blue
4. Appleton Extra
5. Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 or 7 year

A broad spectrum of all the major styles, short of a good Cuban style (most are altered now).
Hey, I have all of those, so that is a good start!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oops...

The Ron Viejo de Caldas offers a 3 year and an 8 year (not a 7, my error). This distiller has a Cuban history, so...
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Looks like what i thought was Ron Viejo de Caldas, was actually Carta Vieja, so I'll have to check up on the Ron Viejo de Caldas. Also,I'm more concerned with rums that whisky drinkers will find similarly palatable to their usual drinks, than hitting all of the styles of rum :)
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

Balcones Rum is a very whisky forward rum, if you can find it. I think some retailers in NYC are shipping it...
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Winston wrote:Balcones Rum is a very whisky forward rum, if you can find it. I think some retailers in NYC are shipping it...
I have been keeping an eye open for the Balcones rum for quite a bit, but no luck so far. Drink Up NY I'd guess as that retailer.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Mount Gay XO
Appleton 21
St. James 15
Any Cadenhead barrel proof
St Lucia Distillers 1931 4th edition (black label)
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

So for a combination rum and whiskey drinkers who almost all mix drinks, I ended up bringing-
MGXO
RL Seale
Doorlys XO
Doorlys 5
Doorlys 12
Foursquare spiced
El Dorado 15(by request)
Diplomatico Reseve Exclusiva(by request)
Scarlet Ibis
Barbancourt 15

I also brought about a half bottle of El Dorado EHP to show how good El D can be without added sugar.

MGXO- I thought this would be the big hit, but it ended up in the pack somewhere. The bottle did get finished.

RL Seale- Big hit with the rum guys, but mixed reviews from the whiskeymen. Gone

Doorlys XO- This was loved as a mixer by the rummies and was then used in conjunction with other spirits to enhance mixed drinks. Gone.

Doorlys 5- All agree that it mixes well, but a little raw for sipping.

Doorlys 12- This was well received by all. Gone first.

Foursquare spiced- I thought it would be used as a mixer, but not many tried it. Almost full.

El Dorado 15- The one who requested this absolutely loved it, but most found it good and too sweet. 3/4 gone.

Diplomatico RE- Most agree that this is way too sweet unless served as an end of the night liquor. 1/2 gone.

Scarlet Ibis- Funny to me, whiskey people loved it, rum people not so much. I finished the last third at home the next week.

Barbancourt 15- I didn't expect anyone to like this and for the most part I was correct but it did generate a different discussion on agricole/not agricole.

El Dorado EHP- The weird thing to me about this is the guy who wanted the El D 15 wasn't all in on this one but others were really into it. Good stuff imo.

In addition there was plenty of variety of spirits there including other rums like Appleton, Plantation, Captain Morgan.

So somewhat surprisingly to me, the Doorly XO and 12 were the big hits and not so surprising the RL Seale and Scarlet Ibis were well received too.
Going in my goal was not to give a tour of rum, but to share rums I thought would be enjoyed and I do feel like we had some educated conversations regarding added sugar and all in all I'm bringing our group forward on good rum. Not that we didn't drink good stuff, but that there are other rums that are worth hunting down.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

funny review at MoM for the Balcones rum.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/balcon ... rum/?srh=1
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

AK9 wrote:funny review at MoM for the Balcones rum.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/balcon ... rum/?srh=1
Pretty accurate, but that was the idea. We don't try to replicate or emulate other spirits styles. We make them our own.