It never ends Dept: Wolfboy redefines vodka...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

It never ends Dept: Wolfboy redefines vodka...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When is enough, well, enough?

I still remember the old days, you know back when the Preacher held himself out as the one and only expert in re "it's all good" rum at the Shillery, and when the lapdog, er wolfboy faithfully licked the master's aged butt of rum - while all the time maintaining his own wimpish site was simply a hobby. It soon became obvious that the Frozen One's real motive was to slip over to the dark side, once he'd published enough links to his own site.

That's how many of the rum webmasters came to make their bones to become a made manboy. Post at the Shillery, try to hold forth as budding experts - but never enough to shift too much attention from the Prophet, who could turn on a dime to excommunicate those who did not faithfully submit.

The problem: frequent posting as a self-assumed "expert" doesn't make you one.

But once you've painted yourself into your own "expert's corner", you're stuck there. You can never again admit your ignorance or gulp, ask for advice. Nope, you are now "the expert" and must act like one.

Today's example:
"Last year, I pointed out that there seems to be a divide among vodka producers between those who value purity of spirit above all else, and those producers who allow their vodka spirit to express a certain level of flavour...

...To that end, my call to all producers (new distillers and old) is that when they distill this spirit which we call vodka, the aim should be to eliminate fusel flavours and heavy congeners.

That is not to say that vodka should be refined to the point of being a tasteless spirit. But the flavours that are left within should be light subtle flavours which enhance rather than dominate the vodka experience (and the cocktail experience). This may be a more expensive road to tread; but it is a road that will lead to repeat sales (and perhaps even a Rum Howler Award)."
Really? What the Frozen One has clearly said is that "vodka" should not be tasteless, but should exhibit flavors which "enhance" the "vodka experience". As our friends to the north would say:

Mooseshit.

Now while I'm confident that most of our faithful readers are already well aware, let's review the Standards of Identity of our regulations which clearly define "vodka" (pun intended)...
"§5.22 The standards of identity.

Standards of identity for the several classes and types of distilled spirits set forth in this section shall be as follows (see also §5.35, class and type):

(a) Class 1; neutral spirits or alcohol. “Neutral spirits” or “alcohol” are distilled spirits produced from any material at or above 190° proof, and, if bottled, bottled at not less than 80° proof.

(1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

(2) “Grain spirits” are neutral spirits distilled from a fermented mash of grain and stored in oak containers."
Seriously, only the Frozen One could possibly interpret "without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color" as having "flavours which enhance rather than dominate the vodka experience". Enhance is right. Just like the hidden sugar, glycerol, flavorings and wine that he once seemed to deny, but are secretly added by the cheating distillers to "enhance the rum experience".

And their profits.

As so well put in the 1994 film Forrest Gump by our Wolfboy-like lead character, "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

The real truths: if a neutral sprit - including grain neutral spirits - exhibits ANY notable flavor or aroma - is is simply not a vodka. Secondly, we are already aware of the industry driven regulators who are beyond lax in giving the Big Three carte blanche to call their bottled spirits by almost any name they choose.

https://therumhowlerblog.com/2017/01/04 ... for-vodka/
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

While I agree with you that any competent vodka is flavorless by definition...

I can still pick out a Smirnoff Red blind.

For the record, I'm not a Grey Goose snob or anything - that part of the vodka world is silly.

I think there's no such thing as "great vodka". There's just vodka, and nasty vodka. Rougher vodka, if you like.

Being devoid of a mass spectrometer or chemistry degree, I can't explain why Smirnoff Red (an example, probably not the only one) has a rougher edge to it. But I know it does.

I have long suspected that some of the more expensive companies are using trace amounts of sugar or, as the TTB guidelines infer, charcoal filtering to "smoothen things out". We know on this forum how often the word smooth is used as an adjective in the reviews of sugared rums by the inexperienced. I haven't got the hydrometer out for vodkas, and probably won't - that sounds like very boring work for a category we care little about :)

Flavor is a hard thing to measure, and probably tougher to litigate. Lack of flavor is probably even harder. I think they know this and have a little latitude for monkeying around.

My vodka of choice is Buffalo Trace's Rain. It's very cheap, especially in the 1.75L, and I know the distillers know what they're doing. Good 'nuff
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Shortly after posting this I was catching up on the rest of the Project's happenings since I'd last visited and I found this quote from Mr Seale in response to your glycerine inquiry:

"Glycerine has been used for years in spirits for its sweetness and effect on mouth feel. I am quite sure you will find it in many vodkas. "

So there one has it. Not proof, but certainly a common expectation from someone far more knowledgeable than moi...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Water is a big contributor to the taste of vodka. I conducted a blind test of vodkas made from Everclear with the only difference being the type of water used to dilute them to 40% ABV. The difference was amazing, especially for the one using distilled water... it was bitter and "rough." The ones using spring or filtered water were much better, probably because of the minerals present that would've been removed by distillation. I still dilute Everclear with Wal-Mart spring water for my vodka, which I affectionately refer to as "EverCloudy," due to the clouding effect exhibited when the water is added. I haven't found anything near the same price that satisfies my needs, which are only mixing.

There is another category of vodka, though. Based on the regulations, I have to question whether these are really vodka at all, since some are only distilled to proof rather than being distilled to 90-95% ABV then diluted to 40% ABV... there seems to be something different about the process that introduces flavor. The best of these that I've had is Polugar Classic Rye. It's definitely not tasteless and has an intriguing complexity and flavor. These would probably be better described as un-aged grain spirits, sort of like moonshine, as they are definitely not tasteless.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Seriously guys... the Ultimate Vodka Taste Test:

The Bear will surely remember this amazing old thread. What a hoot, do NOT miss it!

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtop ... =everclear