Rum Review: Santa Teresa 1796 Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Santa Teresa 1796 Rum (5 is best)?

14%
57%
29%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Santa Teresa 1796 Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Santa Teresa 1796 Rum: "Vanilla Cream Icing"

Santa Teresa 1796 seems to garner uniformly top ratings and exceeds the preferred $20-29 price range. Is it worthy and worth it? Largely - yes, but like Zacapa 23 perhaps a bit overrated. Or not. Let's see the reviews please...

Sue Sea:
Santa Teresa has a lovely, classic bottle and label you'll enjoy. Its color is a brilliant clear medium light amber. It's aroma is wonderful - a bit oakey, maybe a bit of cherrywood. But the feature is a deeper apricot vanilla, reminiscent of baked brown sugar. Teresa taste is entirely consistent, an apricot-vanilla cream or honey. Its finish is medium, warm, peppery and leaves a fruity aftertaste. I found this rum fresh and refreshing, like a nice Spring day.
Me:

I like Santa Teresa. It the brilliant and sparkling clarity of a great rum and exudes a very pleasant vanilla-honey/caramel aroma. Teresa's body is medium light and smooth, and its taste is consistent with the aroma, nicely balanced. The palate ends in astringency. Teresa's medium finish is very smooth, warm, and light peppery. An altogether easy rum to drink. Priced reasonably in the low to mid $30's, Santa Teresa is not a must, but is a very nice buy.

Rating (10 is best): 8
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Have you had the Santa Teresa Selecto Anejo? I can't seem to find any meaningful reviews of this rum, I got a bottle on closeout from Shopper's Vineyard for $17 ($30 suggested) and I rather like it.

It's not in the fancy bottle seen here, but the name is the same

http://www.proof66.com/single_display.php?id=1107

It gets a decent rating here

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=192023

Capn's Log: Amazing! Two things. First, that the Selecto (3-10 years) and the Anejo (up to 5 years) both rate well, and both exhibit similar profiles. I daresay there's not much difference. We have long promoted the Santa Teresa Anejo Gran Reserva as a "best buy", and also as a "dangerous)" (way too easy to drink) rum.

And I know we long ago reviewed this rum, but guess what? Apparently never posted. Thanks for the reminder. Last, this was one of our first reviews, and is actually miscategorized (to be rectified real soon now, lol)...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I gave this rum 3 points (of five) because it's price tag is too high for a rum that is a good rum but is topped and or equalled by much lower cost rums. For me it's worth a try (most rums are ;) ) but too expensive.
in goes your eye out
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

I gave this a 4 because it falls into a nice category for me being a little sweeter than my driest rum with more stand out flavours. Price is higher than I like but probably 3/4 of my rums (all sweeter and likely adulterated) are at its price point or higher. Only a few fall below it. So a nice rum and one of my 3 rum starting points. This is the one that started me branching out in the rum world
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice rum a bit pricey but worth it.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition